• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Howdy from a newbie - with pics of 2 jackets & old AF stuff

JCJM

Greetings from a new member in Finland.

I´ve been lurking here for a while and thought it´s time to introduce myself :cool:

I did not spot any "main forum" where to do that so thought this would be as a good place to do so as any. - Please mods - if this is on a wrong place please feel free to move this thread to a more appropriate place, thanks. Ok... Those of you who like watches may know me from forums that revolve around timepieces; such as the TZ-UK; which is my main virtual living room. In addition to watches I´ve always had a liking towards cool jackets and especially so for vintage and leather... Nuff said. I am here to learn and if I can be of any assistance to you please do not hesitate to contact me. Below I have pictured two jackets of mine just to keep up with the theme of this forum. - The other one is spanking new and the older one either can be seen as real vintage but hey, they are cool nevertheless (IMO of course)! :cool:

For the hard core vintage mil jacket enthusiasts here I´ve also added a few shots and info regarding Finnish Airforces... The guy in most pictures is my idol in life - my late grandfather (deceased ten years ago) - a fighter and night bomber pilot in the Finno-Russian Winter and Continuation Wars in the 30´and 40´s. He was schooled by the Luftwaffes´s´best in Germany and raised from Captain to Major during the Frozen Hell. Here you can find detailed information of a secret night fighter course that Luftwaffe held for 17 Finnish pilots in Germany in 1944. - I am sure You will find the story fascinating:

Lufwaffes secret night fighter course: http://www.sci.fi/~fta/nightftr.htm My grandfather is the second mentioned Captain of the task force (Mr. Ruuskanen, Kaarlo Juhani).

Onto the pics then...

Daniel Hechter lamb factory sample jacket- a tamed version of Belstaff sort of (my pics)

DSC00932.jpg

DSC00934.jpg

DSC00937.jpg

DSC00935.jpg

A late 80´s custom Yamaha Racing Team jacket, horse(?) - sellers pics
d9c8_3.jpg

dcc4_3.jpg

de1f_3.jpg

And here the Finnish AF pics if someones interested (please note that some of these were taken in Germany during the aforementioned course). Do note that the Swastika in some of the pics doesnt have anything to do with Nazism*

DSC00702.jpg

DSC00699.jpg

DSC00704.jpg

DSC00698.jpg

DSC00703.jpg

DSC00705.jpg

*Regarding the Swastika Emblem of the Finnish AF 1918-45

It is important to understand that the swastika emblem of the early Finnish Air Force has nothing to do with the Nazi Germany. The swastika was the symbol of good fortune used by the Swedish Count Eric von Rosen who, during the Finnish Civil War, presented to the Finnish White Army (anticommunist who won over the "red" procommunists) its first aircraft on March 6th, 1918. - The swastika was painted on the upper side and under side of the wings of that first aircraft of the Finnish AF (Thulin Parasol). The symbol was adopted by the Finnish Air Force to honor him.

Thats about it folks. Thanks for enduring and please if you have neat cafe racers FS dont hesitate to contact me :twisted:

Thanks,

JCJM

Chandler

The U.S. 45th division sported a swastika as its symbol up to the late 1930s too. Being a mix of southwest U.S. recruits, the swastika was chosen because of its link to Native American lore. Too bad that lousy house painter had to swipe it forever from all the good people!

Chandler

T-Bolt

Hi there JCJM....welcome to the forum. Thanks much for the photo posts! I looked them over quickly and I think I am going to go back and take a closer look right now. Again...welcome.

Ted

better duck

Hi JCJM,
Welcome to our forum from Holland. Not too many scandinavians among us (that is: do you consider Finland part of Scandinavia?)
Have fun!

JCJM

better duck said:
Hi JCJM,
Welcome to our forum from Holland. Not too many scandinavians among us (that is: do you consider Finland part of Scandinavia?)
Have fun!

Howdy and thanks!

Some (I´d say most) see Finland as a part of Scandinavia but some see it not. Safe to say is that Finland surely is a part of the Nordic countries ;)

Thanks,

JCJM

Curahee

'owdy JCMJ and welcome to the forum, please you can stop lurking now and join all the madcap fun around here :mrgreen:

Andrew

Hei, terve!- mitta kuulu? (something I picked up over the years)

nice old vintage pics.

chrgod2

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the interesting pictures.

I'm from Norway. I remember reading that after the German invasion in 1940 the Finnish Air Force received some Norwegian Brewster Buffalo fighters which Norway had ordered but not yet put into action when the Germans came. The Germans delivered some of them to Finland.
One of the planes is currently for sale as a wreck, but at a high price.

Finland sure has an interesting history! :)