• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to soften up shearling jackets ?

Curahee

I have an AN-J-4 wich I bought last winter and I have worn it maybe a dozen times, so it's still a little stif and
restricting to wear. Any ideas to soften/loosen it up ? I believe John mentioned putting it in the washer but are
there more subtle way too?

John Lever

Curahee said:
I have an AN-J-4 wich I bought last winter and I have worn it maybe a dozen times, so it's still a little stif and
restricting to wear. Any ideas to soften/loosen it up ? I believe John mentioned putting it in the washer but are
there more subtle way too?
Original or repro ?
If original DO NOT WASH !!!!
If it's a repro you could try cold tumbling it if your drier has an ' Air ' setting. Other than that just wear it.
Leather dressings will not usually penetrate the outer coating and just make jackets sticky.

Curahee

It's a repro by Eastman, very nice jakcet but it just doesn't get cold enough to wear it daily during the winter so I'm left with the "cold tumbling" technique :roll: It's mostly the HH facings that will not follow the program
they need a good beating

John Lever

Curahee said:
It's a repro by Eastman, very nice jakcet but it just doesn't get cold enough to wear it daily during the winter so I'm left with the "cold tumbling" technique :roll: It's mostly the HH facings that will not follow the program
they need a good beating
Wash the bu***r. They're are bullet proof and it will come to no harm. I even tumbled mine on hot after 24 hours drying. It creases up the outer coat beautifully. Here's mine-
IMGP1059.jpg

IMGP1061.jpg

IMGP1060.jpg

IMGP1058.jpg

IMGP1055.jpg

IMGP1069.jpg

IMGP1071.jpg

The Anj4 is a masterpiece as are so many other Eastman's
Don't oil it afterwards, sheepskins look better 'dry'

A

Anonymous

John,
As a rule I generally don't indulge in the "you look great in that" or the " your jacket is fantastic" as I don't want it mistakenfor sycophancy. But I have to make an exception here.
An outstanding jacket. I've been pondering going for a redskin B-3 but this has stopped me in my tracks.

(Sycophancy over ;) )

Did you ask for russet horse ?

J_H

John Lever

Thanks for the kind words. If you ever see one with a BIN go for it you will never be disappointed. I got this last year for £300....

Curahee

John thanks for the tip, it sure is a though jacket (that's the problem) I will take up your advice one question
though: should I wash first or soak it in water before putting it in the dryer ?

John Lever

Wash it with pure glycerine soap. UNZIPPED Buy some Pears soap, grate it into[ 1/3 bar will be enough] hot water to melt it in to a solution, then use as liquid detergent and wash on a medium cycle with a fast spin. Alternatively you could use Woollite. Wet sheepskin is not very strong so remove from the machine with care.
Allow to dry for 24 hours with a broom handle through the arms. Then tumble dry on warm until dry. If there are any white smears from the soap wipe off with a damp cloth.
I've washed several jackets like this with out any problems.

rich

John, would you say this method has caused any noticeable shrinkage? The results look excellent though, that is a gorgeous jacket.

30thousandfeet

Original or repro ?
If original DO NOT WASH !!!!
If it's a repro you could try cold tumbling it if your drier has an ' Air ' setting. Other than that just wear it.
Leather dressings will not usually penetrate the outer coating and just make jackets sticky.
I have heard of other original B-3 owners . Some won’t use any leather softener. But the drawback is if that’s the case by all means don’t wear it or it can start cracking or split in the stress areas. Others use a softer to slow down the dry rot to display on a display torso to keep the leather supple .