• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove haze from saddle soap?

Hi Guys;
I recently cleaned a ratty old thrifted G1 with saddle soap and then treated it with Lexol. It has developed a bit of a whiteish haze in places, which I assume to be saddle soap residue that I failed to fully remove. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? Tthe haze that is - not the jacket!
Thanks,
Tom

Smithy

I would have thought that you could buff it out with a lint free cloth. That's what I've done in the past with any residue left from leather conditioners and dubbin on jackets, rugby boots, etc.

Saying that and I know this is a classic case of the beauty of hindsight but if it doesn't buff out then perhaps using two types of leather treatment one straight after the other could cause a reaction between the two and I'm wondering if this is what's happened with you.

If worst comes to worst you may have to try something to strip the leather treatments be that with washing or very carefully with diluted rubbing alcohol.

Skyhawk

Never have liked saddle soap because of the residue, although I'm sure it's great for saddles. I would clean it in a small section at a time with Lexol leather soap and warm wet cloth. Immediately use another clean wet cloth to rinse, and a dry cloth to dry it off. Then move onto another section. Avoid all metal when using lexol soap as it can tarnish and corrode metal very quickly. You are going to want to condition it again after this process as most of the conditioner will wash out. Renepur is my personal choice. It is like Pecard only all natural, bees wax based.