• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to part with your collection when you.......

Edward

Have already started compiling a database of my "crap " ! as pointed out above , we are responsible for the prices going up. but when your toasting away in that oven or lying there in a box , are you going to be bothered ? :rolleyes:
Maybe as "caretakers" we should really give this some thought as to what is going to happen to all the original stuff we collect .
The National Mighty Eighth Museum is an hour drive south of me. Its entirely possible I will just donate most of my presentable stuff to them if they want it. otherwise I foresee liquidation twenty or so years from now. Should I suddenly disappear in the meantime I think a spreadsheet listing items and their value is a really good idea. that way my kids will at least know what to try to get for the stuff on feebay. :p

Micawber

I have already dealt with this and have passed the majority of my last collection over to the next generation - people I know who are genuine and appreciate items for what they are and the stories behind them, not people who will turn it into money at some point in the future. What special items I may or may not have left will probably go to a state funded establishment. Having been involved with museums I would want to be sure of the relevant policies of the establishment with regard to accession, cataloguing, use / display, interpretation, conservation and disposal. There is no way I would donate to this or that establishment, even the big names, without being positive the material will not end up being sold on or thrown away - it happens.

B-Man2

I have already dealt with this and have passed the majority of my last collection over to the next generation - people I know who are genuine and appreciate items for what they are and the stories behind them, not people who will turn it into money at some point in the future. What special items I may or may not have left will probably go to a state funded establishment. Having been involved with museums I would want to be sure of the relevant policies of the establishment with regard to accession, cataloguing, use / display, interpretation, conservation and disposal. There is no way I would donate to this or that establishment, even the big names, without being positive the material will not end up being sold on or thrown away - it happens.
I’m genuine and appreciate items for what they are:)