• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to get WD-40 stains out of wool ?

entertainment

As Dany says, it looks to me like the fabric is discolored. What about finding a Prismacolor pencil of a similar color at an art store. Then you could scrape a bit of the color and make a powder which you could rub in superficially and slowly to make the discoloration less noticeable. Happy to have others disagree with me. Another possibility would be chalk pastels. Not oil pastels!

entertainment

Thinking about this a bit more: If WD40 is oil and white spirit, there is a good chance that white spirit has dissolved some of the pigment in the fabric, so I would be extremely wary about using more white spirit. The trouble with solvents is that they also can also spread uncontrollably creating more problems. I was trying to remove some tar from a shirt with mineral spirits recently and it made the problem much worse. (Eventually removed the stain with 3-in-1 Oil and a lot of dish detergent.)

I think that Micawber's idea of using graphite on zippers is a great one. I have always used wax but it can collect and make things worse, though that would be reversible (though perhaps annoying to remove). I have always used powdered graphite for lubricating door locks because unlike oil or any spray lubricant, it will not dry and collect as a solid.