• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to clean off surface mould/mildew on a A2?

So I've bought a A2 and a G-1 at a small church run Op-Shop here in Sydney...... absolutely fantastic condition (except for the G-1......some clown cut off the cuffs rather badly )
My issue is that both had mildew spots all over them and although I've been able to clean off the G-1 with nothing more than a warm cloth......I can't seem to be able to shift it off the A2.....even with saddle soap
Anyone got any tips on how to remove it ?

Smithy

The problem is because the spores are still alive and will come back once the humidity level increases sufficiently for the little nasties to be happy again.

So long as the leather has no rot, a solution of plain, white vinegar diluted with water will do the trick. Let it dry thoroughly and if you don't want to smell like a fish and chip shop, use your favourite leather conditioner afterwards once completely dry.

Thanks Smithy!
I've owned leather jackets for quite a number of years and afew of them have had surface mould and mildew..... saddle soap usually clears it up along with a trip to the dry cleaners to fix up the smell and lining
But on this A2 it hasn't budged at all.... I'll try that white vinegar trick tommorow morning and have my fingers and toes crossed lol

Smithy

Thanks Smithy!
I've owned leather jackets for quite a number of years and afew of them have had surface mould and mildew..... saddle soap usually clears it up along with a trip to the dry cleaners to fix up the smell and lining
But on this A2 it hasn't budged at all.... I'll try that white vinegar trick tommorow morning and have my fingers and toes crossed lol

Just use a little of the solution first on an inconspicuous area first such as under the pocket flap. I would be amazed if there was a problem so long as the leather is sound but always best to be on the safe side. Also make with a ratio of 50:50 vinegar to water.