• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Buy A Leather Jacket

Hamsterbear

August 2008 issue of GQ ( Gentleman's Quarterly) has an article on "How To Buy A Leather jacket ( And Not Look Like A Joke)"
Typical GQ article about wearing a jacket, even mentions thin hides, and washing a jacket in a machine with laundry detergent...
it's not a stellar article- don't buy the issue, read it at the news stand instead...it doesn't pertain to OUR type of jackets, just the "meterosexual" brands like Diesel, Belstaff, Duckie Brown, Burberry and so on....
anyway, the amusing part I saw was an insert box that had the points of "How Not To Buy A Leather jacket"...
Here is what they say;
1)You are not Indiana Jones; leave the distressed brown leather bomber jackets to Harrison Ford
2) And on that note, those World War II tobacco-brown replica bombardier jackets? Absolutely not.
3) No patches
4)Leather jacket, good; leather blazer, not so good.
5) Unless you just climbed off a Ducati, please refrain from padded, striped racing jackets.
6) Zippers, yes; buttons, no.
7) And remember, you're not buying a leather coat, you're buying a leather jacket. It should fit like one. See above left.
( model shown is a very thin male wearing a skin tight thin leather jacket, black, with sleeves only to the mid forearm.)

So, there you have it, the GQ guidelines for buying and wearing a leather jacket. A-2's are OUT, brown leather is OUT, nametags and squadron patches are OUT, and an A-1 with buttons? No way! :lol:
-B

Chandler

Bombardier jackets? Oy.

And these guys are the fashion "go tos?"

Makes you wonder if they'd tell Dean or McQueen they didn't look cool in their "bombardier" jackets.

Chandler

Jake431

I have that issue as well. Their list of recommendations pretty much slags anything I've worn. Somewhere else in the article it says to get a jacket made out of thin leather too - which even nixes the Aero FQHH Cafe Racer I had. Hey, at least it was black leather!

-Jake

jschare

How about a mouton collar?? Can we wear a jacket with that?? I guess the Navy should have read that article before they issued me my G-1!

bfrench

Administrator
So I guess the bib overalls, denim shirt, red handkerchief and a beat to hell and back A-2 is not what the glitterati are wearing this coming fall season?????

Oh, well - that's nice part of being over 60 - you just don't care what you look like as long as it's comfortable and gets the job done.

Bill French

fishmeok

"1)You are not Indiana Jones; leave the distressed brown leather bomber jackets to Harrison Ford"

Au contraire, for I definitely feel that I am, even have the pictures to prove it: :D

DSCN2417.jpg

A little blurry, but you get the idea.

here's a better one:

DSCN2418.jpg

Cheers
Mark

Clark J

1)You are not Indiana Jones; leave the distressed brown leather bomber jackets to Harrison Ford"
Fisherman....lets go over this one more time!!!!

You are not Indiana Jones; leave the distressed brown leather bomber jackets to Harrison Ford"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fishmeok

Damnit, didn't you see the picture???

DON"T make me wear the hat to your house. I know where you live....

Mark

Hamsterbear

Clark J said:
I can't believe you actually read GQ HB?????

I read, (flip through it) for FREE at work- harvested from seat back pouches on airplanes and left in breakroom.
Also look at FHM,Vanity Fair,MAXIM and a ton of others I wouldn't PAY to read.
-B

C.J.

I always get my stones broken by my friends for wearing an A-2. But, I could care less, as far as I'm concerned, nothing looks better.

Clark J

Hamsterbear said:
Clark J said:
I can't believe you actually read GQ HB?????

I read, (flip through it) for FREE at work- harvested from seat back pouches on airplanes and left in breakroom.
Also look at FHM,Vanity Fair,MAXIM and a ton of others I wouldn't PAY to read.
-B
That's where it starts but this is where your headed!!
junya-watanabe-fall-07-leather-jack.jpg

fishmeok

Tariacuri said:
fishmeok said:
Damnit, didn't you see the picture???

DON"T make me wear the hat to your house. I know where you live....

Mark

Real archaeologists don't wear leather jackets!!

No, only the ones with enough style, talent, and balls do...

Besides, you're an anthropologist, and not a REAL doctor anyway.

On topic again, I thought the "heroin chic" look was out? must just be for chicks. The sad thing is, I bet some metrosexual git is going to pay $5000 for that crappy jacket in the picture....

Cheers
Mark

Chandler

C.J. said:
I always get my stones broken by my friends for wearing an A-2.

Why? What do they (can they?) say that wouldn't just make them sound ignorant to classic style?

The only time a friend has ever commented on any of my A-2s was when he said he couldn't tell the difference between my russet goat and my seal HH -- of course he was commenting on the style, not the color. I told him I had the same problem with his 2 motorcycles, both racer-type of a similar vintage. He got the idea.

Chandler

JPH712

This is my first post and I thought I'd chime in with the obvious, Indiana Jones' jacket wasn't even military, so GQ can take a flying leap.

better duck

JPH712 said:
This is my first post and I thought I'd chime in with the obvious, Indiana Jones' jacket wasn't even military, so GQ can take a flying leap.

Well hello there JPH712! welcome to the forum!
On the subject of caring about fashion writers one way or the other, whether in a "Gentlemans Magazine", TV programma or anywhere or anyway else: they can all take that flying leap you mention.
I've never been fashion conscious and don't start to plan now. I like indivual taste (no mattter how deplorable or debatable) over prescribed - cowherd mentality inducing - fashion statements anytime!

kevlarg

Don't worry guys since GQ is written by fickle turds.

By this time next year we will all be cool again when they feature the hottest new "tobacco brown bombardier jackets" your grandpa wore :D

bobjones

bfrench said:
So I guess the bib overalls, denim shirt, red handkerchief and a beat to hell and back A-2 is not what the glitterati are wearing this coming fall season?????

Oh, well - that's nice part of being over 60 - you just don't care what you look like as long as it's comfortable and gets the job done.

Bill French

It doesn't matter what age - only a person lacking confidence and brains would rely upon a dishrag like GQ for opinions on anything.