• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How old is this Spiewak & Sons G-1??

I just found this G-1 at Goodwill and am not sure of it's age. It's in great condition, leather is definitely goat and has some fantastic grain in it. But it feels rather thin compared to the other two I have. I'm sure the collar is Mouton but it's kind of a natural color. Has a wimpy Scovill zip but works great. No tears or snags in the knits or leather. The label is a little hard to read in the pic. It says:
Jacket Type G-1
us navy
Bureau Of Aeronautics
SPEC 6101 (AER)
Contract # 6850 G-1
I Spiewak & Sons inc.
New York N.Y. WPL #7001
leather Clean only
Made in U.S.A.

Any help on the date and info on the maker and jacket would be appreciated.

fedoralover
DSCN0676.jpg

DSCN0675.jpg

DSCN0677.jpg

DSCN0678.jpg

Well I believe I just answered my own question. In doing some extra research I found this is just a reproduction. Spiewak never made G-1s. Still it fits great and looks pretty decent, I just wish the collar was a different color.

fedoralover

RCSignals

I don't know that Spiewak has its own factory anymore and as with many jacket 'makers' these days that may have been made by Schott for Spiewak

You can always source mouton and have it changed

Atticus

Yes, it is a repro. The little American flag and the flat-pull Scovill hint that the jacket was made fairly recently...my gut feeling is the 1990s. BTW, is the zipper marked "Ideal" anywhere? Scovill was purchased by Ideal in 1996 but Scovill zippers are still being produced.

AF

zip just says scovill. I knew it wasn't from as far back as the 60s but I thought it might have still been a government issue at one time. They even punched in the USN on the storm flap. It's actually a nice looking jacket, mostly because of the nice graining in the leather. I'm wondering how much of disaster it would be to dye the collar black? Thanks for all the info.

fedoralover

gruvi

I would keep it as is. Personally I like the greenish mouton. I'm already going to put sage and od green knits on a few of my G1s. I just won a nicely aged 55J14 tonight with the scalloped pockets that green knits are going to make it pop!

I used to see that exact jacket for sale at Orleans Army and Navy down on Cape Cod back in the 1980's, so I expect they made them for awhile...certainly back then to capitalize on the 80's flight jacket jacket craze. It's a repro. I remember thet Spiewak had some bogus hangtag on it with a madeup story.

Thanks, so it would be fairly accurate to say it's a repro from the 80s. I Don't want to misrepresent it if I decide to sell it.

fedoralover

SPC77

Thanks, so it would be fairly accurate to say it's a repro from the 80s. I Don't want to misrepresent it if I decide to sell it.

fedoralover
My father gave me this leather flight coat with same tag from Spiewak, contract # n.y n.y so knowing it's a repo where did he buy the thing? He always bought new and from super high end catalogs. I've searched and cannot find a Spiewak leather coat anywhere., new at least.

Nickb123

Still a really good find at a Goodwill. When I had a girlfriend, we used to venture to ours. Most of the time I found the wonen's clothes to be more interesting.

E9B3E1AB-F160-48E1-8EBF-54339AE023E7.jpeg