• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much does it generally cost to repair the knitting on a flight jacket?

Hey all! This is the sort of thing that with a few days research I could find out but I’m at a flea market right now and need to make a quick decision. I’ve found a G-1 that fits great (it’s either from the 50s or 70s, I can’t tell) but the knitting has some holes in it. I remember seeing on here something about getting that repaired. Any sense for the price range? It’s pretty light. This will greatly influence my purchasing decision! Thanks so much!

tda003

Do you know someone who can do the replacement (remove/sew new cuffs and waistband) if you had replacements?

tda003

Sorry for the confusion. I was asking BigBrother the question. I'm guessing he's left the flea market w/o the jacket. I would likely have been able to help him. I have a set of replacements lying around here somewhere.

I did indeed leave without the jacket but they are back next month. I’ll be checking out a local militaria get together before then, maybe find others. I was hoping to get the guy down to $100 but seems like his hard bottom was $140. I’m also going to do some price shopping but I will probably pick it up next month.

Actually, to that point (yes I will be checking eBay soon but always good to get your opinion) what would you pay for a 50s-era G-1 with minor leather wear and minor knit holes? For whatever it’s worth, it had the USN perforations on the inner flap.

tda003

Just my 2 cents, but if the cuffs and waist band aren't too far gone, I'd find someone to darn them. You didn't say very much about the jacket - make, year of manufacture, mouton or dynex collar, size. You can be spending more than it is likely to ever be worth. Can you get a photo of the label? Or make and year. The information is on the label and there is information elsewhere in this forum and on the web on how to get that information. Size, maker and collar material is a good start.

Ok, couldn’t find the guides quickly (I’m doing a more cursory search at the moment on my phone) so decided to just find analogs on eBay. As far as I recall the jacket as a whole, collar, and label were extremely similar to this one here. It was a size 38R. (I’ll add one or two more as I find them):

Condition was probably one notch worse in leather and knits.

ES335

If it may help, I just had my old Gibson & Barnes A-2re-lined, re-waisted and re-cuffed for $140. + shipping with excellent results. I don't know if they'd balk at working on another's jacket but they do make a G-1 so it might be worth a call. Good luck!

Chandler

If it may help, I just had my old Gibson & Barnes A-2re-lined, re-waisted and re-cuffed for $140. + shipping with excellent results. I don't know if they'd balk at working on another's jacket but they do make a G-1 so it might be worth a call. Good luck!
In the past they would only work on their own or vintage originals.

Since the thread has sort of morphed into what the value of that jacket actually is (at least it has for me!) was wondering if you guys can chime in based on those analogs I found on eBay. Thoughts? Thanks!

tda003

What size do you wear? In your posts, the sizes are all over the place. The "E" at the end of "J-7823E" usually indicates calf with synthetic collar. They are not generally valuable as collector items, thus my suggestion that you mend rather that replace the knits. Plus, it gives the jacket a "Been There" look.

tda003

I was asking because I have one languishing in my closet and extra cuffs and waistband for it, but it's the wrong size. Looks like it gets sold on when I get 'round to it.