• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many forum members does it takes to change a light bulb?

rich

I read that Swan's patent was granted in 1878, nearly a year before Edison's. This from Wiki.........

Edison did not invent the first electric light bulb, but instead invented the first commercially practical incandescent light. Several designs had already been developed by earlier inventors including the patent he purchased from Henry Woodward and Mathew Evans, Moses G. Farmer, Joseph Swan, James Bowman Lindsay, William E. Sawyer, Sir Humphry Davy, and Heinrich Göbel. Some of these early bulbs had such flaws as an extremely short life, high expense to produce, and high electric current drawn, making them difficult to apply on a large scale commercially. In 1878, Edison applied the term filament to the element of glowing wire carrying the current, although the English inventor Joseph Swan had used the term prior to this. Edison took the features of these earlier designs and set his workers to the task of creating longer-lasting bulbs. By 1879, he had produced a new concept: a high resistance lamp in a very high vacuum, which would burn for hundreds of hours.

jacketimp

rich said:
I read that Swan's patent was granted in 1878, nearly a year before Edison's. This from Wiki.........

Edison did not invent the first electric light bulb, but instead invented the first commercially practical incandescent light. Several designs had already been developed by earlier inventors including the patent he purchased from Henry Woodward and Mathew Evans, Moses G. Farmer, Joseph Swan, James Bowman Lindsay, William E. Sawyer, Sir Humphry Davy, and Heinrich Göbel. Some of these early bulbs had such flaws as an extremely short life, high expense to produce, and high electric current drawn, making them difficult to apply on a large scale commercially. In 1878, Edison applied the term filament to the element of glowing wire carrying the current, although the English inventor Joseph Swan had used the term prior to this. Edison took the features of these earlier designs and set his workers to the task of creating longer-lasting bulbs. By 1879, he had produced a new concept: a high resistance lamp in a very high vacuum, which would burn for hundreds of hours.

rich,

i stand corrected......and impressed!

rich

what's QI?[/quote]

JI, it's a panel game where various well-known facts are usually shown to be false, or they present interesting stuff which is generally not well known. Trivia I guess! Stephen Fry hosts it, it's usually very funny but that depends who's on. If you don't like Mr. Fry though I imagine it would be torture to sit through. Here's a bit, just a random pick

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9NnmpgX5Z ... re=related

jacketimp

rich said:
what's QI?

JI, it's a panel game where various well-known facts are usually shown to be false, or they present interesting stuff which is generally not well known. Trivia I guess! Stephen Fry hosts it, it's usually very funny but that depends who's on. If you don't like Mr. Fry though I imagine it would be torture to sit through. Here's a bit, just a random pick

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9NnmpgX5Z ... re=related[/quote]

hey i'm from the UK but no access to telly.......just internet......
:oops:

RudyN

Dog gone it! This thread reminded me I have to change two lightbulbs/light bulbs/lamps in my kitchen. I will remove them from their fixture and insert new ones. :mrgreen:

Cliff

Pssst !!! I happen to know a chap who makes very passable repro lamp. He uses genuine brass for the bayonet or screw fitting bases. You can ring or email him and will fit either option for you with no extra cost. He does and good "Phillips", "Mullard", and the now very rare "Osram". The good thing is that you can use them as an everyday lamp without fear of ruining a real vintage lamp. The good thing is that they are a mere £499 each !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

rich

Cliff said:
Pssst !!! I happen to know a chap who makes very passable repro lamp. He uses genuine brass for the bayonet or screw fitting bases. You can ring or email him and will fit either option for you with no extra cost. He does and good "Phillips", "Mullard", and the now very rare "Osram". The good thing is that you can use them as an everyday lamp without fear of ruining a real vintage lamp. The good thing is that they are a mere £499 each !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds good Cliff, any idea what the illumination field is like, would the fall off be Linear or the more highly desirable Inverse Square? It's all in the details as you know................

Cliff

Are you refering to that age old thing where a point source which spreads its influence equally in all directions without a limit to its range will obey the inverse square law. This comes from strictly geometrical considerations. The intensity of the influence at any given radius is the source strength divided by the area of the sphere. Being strictly geometric in its origin, the inverse square law applies to diverse phenomena. Point sources of gravitational force, electric field, light, sound or radiation obey the inverse square law.............or you can have it in goat or steer hide !! :geek: :lol: :lol:

better duck

Hamsterbear said:
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

Actually, I cannot remember that we have trodden this field before! Maybe one of the oldtimers can (en)lighten us here.
I must say, an interesting light is shone (either by lamp/bulb or genius) on the figurative parallels between this light bulb example and the real (well, ....is it?) world of VLJ, my dear Hamster Bear. Very illuminating, I dare say, and suddenly I am prone to insights I have never had before.
Me thinks thou art a shining example of what it takes to keep our shady internet world of VLJ lively and light (that last one in a figurative manner of speaking of course) and I appriciate your effort at a light hearted joke as such, although I sense the ever so slightly cynical undercurrent.... just keep at it, old boy, keep at it, and don't let upstarts like Curahee and me get to you!
Cheers mate

better duck

Cliff said:
"Mullard":
Everyone who is worth his mettle in this field can tell you that "Mullard" never had a contract! If he is passing off Mullards as repros of the genuine thing, what does that say of his other goodies... I ask you! ;)

better duck

Cliff said:
Are you refering to that age old thing where a point source which spreads its influence equally in all directions without a limit to its range will obey the inverse square law. This comes from strictly geometrical considerations. The intensity of the influence at any given radius is the source strength divided by the area of the sphere. Being strictly geometric in its origin, the inverse square law applies to diverse phenomena. Point sources of gravitational force, electric field, light, sound or radiation obey the inverse square law.............or you can have it in goat or steer hide !! :geek: :lol: :lol:
Now this is deep man, really deep, and very intense. I very nearly choked on this one! THANK YOU!