• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How it all began...

JimO

How did this flight jacket journey begin?

Mine began in 1988 when I purchased my first A-2, a goatskin Avirex, by mail order direct from the Cockpit paper catalog.

For over 30 years, it has been a well worn & loyal companion throughout life's adventures. It still fits well and like it's owner, has aged, gained marks of character and hopefully, has plenty good years left in it.

How did YOUR journey begin?

A-2.jpg
Avirex.jpg

B-Man2

Hey Jim! :)

Actually, I received my first flight jacket, a CWU 36P Nomex back in the early 1980 time frame. I worn it and decided I wanted an A2, as I had always thought they were pretty damned cool looking. So there really wasn't much of a repro market back in those days and like most, I opted for a..............YEP! an Avirex.
Wore that thing everywhere, and from that point on I was hooked, and the rest is history.

daw

I think a lot of us got our introduction to the a2 from Avirex. I did, too, back in 1995, but it ended up being too big, was consigned to the closet and subsequently ushered out to Goodwill.

The Avirex/Cockpit jackets are ok, I think, but style-wise don't outshine a lot of other makers. The leather on yours looks really nice.

I much prefer your new Fivestar Doniger's style-and superb fit!

MikeyB-17

I went through a couple of River Island type mall jackets before a mate told me about Eastman, who are only an hour from me. I ordered a catalogue, saved my pennies and eventually visited the (old) factory to get measured for my ELC House steer A-2. This was 1997. I sold it a while back, now thankfully I have an even older one, which ironically cost more second hand than the first one did new!

JimO

The Avirex/Cockpit jackets are ok, I think, but style-wise don't outshine a lot of other makers. The leather on yours looks really nice.

I much prefer your new Fivestar Doniger's style-and superb fit!

daw- My Avirex has held up well over the years and still looks & fits great. If I can get 30 years and the same results from the Five Star Doniger, both the jacket and I (I'll be 93 yrs. old then) would have had a great life... :cool:

mulceber

Great topic! I started out wanting a first rate reproduction of the jacket from Raiders of the Lost Ark. That led to Bill Kelso, and I was so wowed by that jacket (for context, Indy jackets tend to be pretty middling jackets. Until BK came along, US Wings was the fancy option), that I decided I wanted to see what else they could make. I decided to try an A-2 jacket and...now I have 4... :oops:

9F7A8C52-DD7B-40C2-AE7E-2646EFA7D48D.jpeg

Edward

relative newcomer here. I always wanted an A-2 and if I recall I think I became aware of cockpit or maybe US Wings at some point probably by way of an ad in the back of a WWII aircraft magazine I purchased at a bookstore in the late 80s or very early 90s. I never did get one and living in Florida at the time I just wasn't sure leather would do me much good.
Then almost 3 years ago I turned 50. I was about 2 years past my divorce and wondered what I should do to mark and make positive this milestone of turning the big 5 Five O and that I was single... 50 and alone... I know! An A-2 JACKET! :D
So I did some research to see who made the best A-2 jackets and came across Eastman Leather Clo. Co. website and somehow found the US distributor HistoryPreservations. I finally picked out the Star Sportswear and they had my size in stock ready to ship! it was everything I hoped it would be!
Now, by way of this forum group and its awesome members I also own an ELC Roughwear 42-1401P, a GoodWear JA Dubow, and an original Aero Leather Clothing Co. 21996 and an original I. Spiewak & Sons 42-18776P. Too much leather for South Carolina perhaps but too much fun and I can usually wear them for about 5 months out of the year. :p

ausreenactor

Avirex (Lambskin?) A-2 in 1997.. When I combined my love of Eastman adverts in the flying periodicals with regular internet access. The rest is a blur...

GREAT post and your Avirex has 'bulk cred'.

ButteMT61

Technically an Avirex B-3. But what I consider the jacket that hooked me - legit jacket - a second hand, almost new Aero Bronco A-2.
from that point about 12-13 years back, I’ve seen a lot of jackets come and go like most here.
Thousands spent but I have only 6 jackets to show for it right now.
Aero 50’s HBD
Lost Worlds “A-2”
Good Wear Ventura
Spiewak CWU/45P
Isratex CWU/36p
Pike Bro’s N-1 Deck jacket

I’m getting another A-2 - Good Wear Perry.
most likely my last jacket to complete my needs. I probably won’t live long enough to wear any of them out - ESP in SoCal.

Good thread!

Griffon_301

My first halfway real flightjacket also was an Avirex in the form of a hybrid ANJ-3/G-1 which I bought in London during my first trip abroad sans the creators who gladly sponsored my trip...little did they know that instead of cultural and lucullic goodies, I would invest the money in a jacket... :D

I patched it up with several F-14 related stuff in the years to follow and I still own that jacket :)

Last edited:

Micawber

Nearly 60 years ago messing about in Uncle Fred's original Irvin that he, and thousands of others, wore piloting his bike and sidecar combo. Then being given and buying the stuff for peanuts in the numerous surplus stores and columns of Exchange & Mart that were rammed with original WW2 gear.

Relatively speaking decent repro's only came along in the last few years.

Griffon_301

Ah well I can remember Eastman being around for more than 25 years and I think I can remember ordering a catalogue (via normal mail!) From RMNZ about 20 years ago... Still have all those catalogues I have collected over the years ...

Brettafett

Mine was an old Avirex Flying Tigers (lamb?) G-1 and a Cooper Commemorative A-2...
At the time, Id seen an Ad for an Avirex 487BS 340BG A-2, which looked so cool (Japan recently did a revival version of this). Was also the first time I clocked onto Real McCoys NZ.
But, I was young, recently out of college and other more pressing interests ;)

Griffon_301

Ah those pressing interests... :D oh and not to forget being a strapping young lad about to begin studying, those pesky dineros were a pressing concern too... I worked my posterior off in the holidays a summer long to be able to buy my first ELC B-3 ....
Ah thanks for the trip down memory lane.... :)

jack31916

In the 70's and early 80's you could easily buy original A-2 and B-3 jackets on the Waterlooplein Fleamarket in Amsterdam. Allas the jackets would never fit (me) and so never bought an original one. Stupid enough... For some reason Irvin jackets didn't show up. Instead of an original jacket I bought an Antler jacket which resembles a G-1, replaced the synthetic collar with a real mouton one and wore the jacket for years (there's one up for sale on Ebay https://www.ebay.ie/itm/VINTAGE-196...LEATHER-FLYING-JACKET-USA-LARGE-/163669062272). A real nice sturdy jacket which I can strongly recommend.

saucerfiend

In the 70's and early 80's you could easily buy original A-2 and B-3 jackets on the Waterlooplein Fleamarket in Amsterdam. Allas the jackets would never fit (me) and so never bought an original one. Stupid enough... For some reason Irvin jackets didn't show up. Instead of an original jacket I bought an Antler jacket which resembles a G-1, replaced the synthetic collar with a real mouton one and wore the jacket for years (there's one up for sale on Ebay https://www.ebay.ie/itm/VINTAGE-196...LEATHER-FLYING-JACKET-USA-LARGE-/163669062272). A real nice sturdy jacket which I can strongly recommend.
I have one and I agree with you!

saucerfiend

My first A-2 was a LL Bean Goatskin. I remember how great it looked in their catalog. And the Flying Tiger story in the ad.
I couldn't get it out of my mind while at work. When it arrived and I put it on for the initial fit, and I was hooked. When I learned the originals were horse hide, I tried a US Authentic and wasn't satisfied with the cut or workmanship. My LL Bean had much nicer construction and looked much better when wearing. So, after looking at a list of makers on Acme Depot, I decided to give Good Wear a call as I didn't want to deal overseas for the that kind of money. When I got that first GW, I immediately saw the difference in quality. This was the ultimate!!! I was in like Flynn!

Brian

ButteMT61

The rose bowl flea market used to be rife with great WWII forward mil jackets.
i wasn’t (sadly) into it back then. But tons of G-1s and occasionally A-2. Then all these goddamn picker shoes ruined it all.
Not just jackets either. Everything went from being a great find to overpriced and ruined the fun. That and the hoards of loaded Japanese buyers who came before sunrise with stacks of cash and carts. Hoarded it al to send to japan.
Haven’t gone in about four years now.

Silver Surfer

long ago in a distant galaxy......oops, wrong story. older members have read my a-2 intro, so skip if ya want to. anyhoo, back in the mid '50s when I was a young bugger, I would ride around the neighborhood on my bike shooting down "krauts", or "japs",, ratatatatatatatat. ya get the idea. one afternoon my next door neighbor j. p. ramuzzi [or mr. ramuzzi to me] was working his flower bed, and stood up to ask what was it that I was doing, making that racket and what not. I told him, and he said park the bike, and wait a minute. i did, and mr ramuzzi went into his house. when he came back outside, he hanging over his arm what looked like a jacket. it was. ramuzzi told me that I need the jacket for good luck when on my missions. was I blown away????? yup, just the way a wide eyed gob smacked kid would be. my neighbor had given me his a-2 that he wore stationed in England, piloting b-17s. wore the jacket morning, noon, and night...till it somehow it evaporated, or my mom canned it...kids can be hard on their gear. that's the kinda stuff that stays with ya forever. also, as a teenager, and art student, I haunted surplus, and army-navy stores for my gear. a 5-10 bucks got ya the pick or the litter, ie: navy leather jackets, pea coats, even a-2s. during the '60s surplus military was worn by one and all, with no regard what so ever as to collectibility. just worn.