• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I remove a decal?

WingAndaPrayer

Hey gang,
I need some advice on how to remove the Hap Arnold decal off my Dubow. The wings are off center and it looks awful in my opinion. I want to remove it and the lettering. Otherwise it’s a splendid jacket.
7A9D1ABB-D494-4AEC-B5C0-20EC7712BC4F.jpeg

WingAndaPrayer

I can only think nail varnish remover but it is likely to remove some of the leather finish too
Have you tried that method before? I think a quick fix will be to put a patch over it, but then the letters are still there. If I had know the FiveStar decal was this poor quality I would not have gotten it.

P-47 thunderbolt

Have you tried that method before? I think a quick fix will be to put a patch over it, but then the letters are still there. If I had know the FiveStar decal was this poor quality I would not have gotten it.
I have stripped back paint on overpainted ww2 helmets and removed a poorly painted roundel on an avirex a2 and removed the finish on boots before redying, considering that the decal is plastic, acetone (nail varnish remover) would get it off but you'd need to be VERY careful as it will just as easily strip the leather finish.

Micawber

Depends on the nature of the decal ie waterslide or heat type. While there are ways of removing both you might find the leather slightly unfaded where the decal was. Only doing the deed will tell!

I'm reluctant to say try x, y or z. While the deed itself wouldn't faze me in the slightest if you or someone else tries this or that solvent / water / whatever recommended by me and end up with a bare patch resembling suede my ears may burn from the resulting swearing;) Others who have done the deed may only be too happy to step up and say use extract of toad juice / whatever but not I Sir.

WingAndaPrayer

Depends on the nature of the decal ie waterslide or heat type. While there are ways of removing both you might find the leather slightly unfaded where the decal was. Only doing the deed will tell!

I'm reluctant to say try x, y or z. While the deed itself wouldn't faze me in the slightest if you or someone else tries this or that solvent / water / whatever recommended by me and end up with a bare patch resembling suede my ears may burn from the resulting swearing;) Others who have done the deed may only be too happy to step up and say use extract of toad juice / whatever but not I Sir.
Fair enough. I’m not sure if it’s heat or water. So I don’t want to end up with a big blotchy mess on my sleeve, I think I will just throw an HQ patch on it and live another day. Discretion is the better part of valor after all.

Silver Surfer

If it’s a water slide decal wet the decal and surrounding area real good with warm water. Be sure to wet the area well enough that the water penetrates the hide. When all wet, begging to crinkle the decal from the top, sides bottom. It will begin to lift off of the hide. Ya may have to repeat a couple of times to get it off completely. This will not work with an iron on decal. If it is an iron job, you can work it with 600 grit emery to take it down a little, making it look less obvious. You can also paint it to a different style meatball, or 8th, 15th, 5th Aaf, etc. all considered, perhaps just leave it be, as in time you will not even notice it.

P-47 thunderbolt

Acetone + 5 stars jacket = worst idea you will have. It will remove the decal, for sure, but it will destroy the coating they use on their jackets' leather.
Well that is what I said in my initial reply, where I said I can only think nail varnish remover but it is likely to remove some of the leather finish

WingAndaPrayer

Does anyone know for a fact if FiveStar uses a water or heat transfer decal? Since I’m going to patch over it anyway, I might do some small scale experimentation to see what works.

B-Man2

I wonder….., if it’s a water transfer ….. can it be steamed off ? Sounds plausible .