• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how cool is black?

Tim P

having seen the buzz ricksons calalogue for this year, their ever expanding set of black repros make a nice alternative to the standard jacket and are quite nice and wearable in public as they are less military looking.
Unauthentic as all hell but surprising that the materials are all to spec.
anyone else beguiled?
Just wish they went up to a big 44 or 46. or do I? :(

A

Anonymous

Little too neo nazi if you ask me. Who wants to look like case Pollard anyway?

Tim P

see, going for the Ma1, L2 type jackets I can get your point. plus, a black Ma1 or CWU45 jacket can be had for the price of a t shirt anywhere on the net. i was more taken by black a-2's tankers, b10's etc.
courtesy of the polo jeans co I have a black paratrooper jacket, a black m43 a-like and a blue M51. the para jacket doesnt get thta much wear these days but has always attracted positive comments when worn and not so neo nazi.

I have to be particularly careful as, being six two and robustly built with a cropped baldy haircut I look like a thug in about everything i wear hence my avoidence of Ma1 style jackets in particular.

rikitiki

Gibson and Barnes sells black A-2's: I have one in goatskin (you have to request no side pockets) and another in lambskin (lambskin was special order). Unfortunately G&B doesn't have one in horsehide, but US Authentic offers a black HH, but I'm not sure of the quality.

Black leather repro jackets are a dressier alternative for wearing to work (see sealbeachbum's pictures) or the mall, but would only wear brown A-2's to airshows. Agree that the black nylons look a bit too skinhead/Nazi.

I wish someone would distribute Buzz Ricksons' in the USA. Perhaps we could convince Good Wear Leather Coat Company to produce jackets in black HH.

CBI

I really don't care for black myself but a seal brown like what Areo offers is quite nice and is still authentic in terms of the color of an oversprayed A-2.

A

Anonymous

wing nut said:
Little too neo nazi if you ask me. Who wants to look like case Pollard anyway?
What's case Pollard? Pollard was an American traitor/Israeli spy not a neo nazi!

I love my Black G&B A-2 for work and dress-up!

344691913_qHJPS-L.jpg

kkochheiser

Case Pollard was/is a character in fictional books by William Gibson. BR is producing a line of jackets based on what she wore in the book Pattern Recognition. Fun book but I don't really care for the jacket much.

Kent

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tim P said:
Just wish they went up to a big 44 or 46. or do I? :(

rikitiki said:
I wish someone would distribute Buzz Ricksons' in the USA.

HPA have been slowly adding to the range, it's no longer just the black MA-1 ....

As the sole agent in the USA for Buzz Rickson’s, we are responsible for creating a size range that is inclusive of the bigger sizes required for marketing jackets in North America and Europe – one that incorporates 44, 46 and 48 - as well as for bringing all those passionate fans of the William Gibson novel, “Pattern Recognition,” the heretofore non-existent Buzz Rickson’s black MA-1 jacket worn by fictionalized heroine Cayce Pollard. The jacket styles we elect to stock represent those that we believe are in the greatest demand for our market. If you wish to order a Buzz Rickson product that we do not stock, please contact us with the specifics and we will attempt to obtain the goods for you.

MikeyB-17

Being a longtime Stranglers fan, I am a serial black wearer, in fact my most commonly worn jacket these days is a black goatskin bike style jacket not dissimilar to an Aero Highwayman (only I like it better). Wouldn't touch a black MA-1 with two barge poles tied together, but the idea of some other military jackets in black I like a lot. Been having a think about a black A-2 for quite a while, and I love the black fur Irvins-in fact several years ago Aero did a limited run of all-black Irvins-I'd love one of those. I have got a black work/combat jacket, a bit like an M-65, in Cordura by a Swedish company called Dunderdon which is one of the best jackets I own-tough, warm and practical. One of these days I might tap up Aero and see if they'll do me a black goatskin A-2.

269sqnhudson

I went on hols in Croatia last year.....black leather jackets everywhere. Living in London I do get the impression that black leather jackets are very sort of Balkan or Eastern Bloc-chic, especially black leather jackets with waistbands....and extra especially elasticated leather waistbands, you know, the wrinkly folded leather ones...eek :shock:

Tim P

Balkan and chic.

borat springs to mind. eek. no, I am taken by the Tanker and B10 of all of them and I am also a fan of black leather CWU jackets although I do not own one for reasons already stated. you look too much like one of 'the management'

Lignemaginot

Miles_Archer said:
Lignemaginot said:
Not "Golden Brown"? ;)

I wear my black leather when copping golden brown. I also wear my sunglasses at night.

With the line, "Never a frown with golden brown", I'm shocked that no one in the UK has put out a version with, "Always a frown, with Gordon Brown."

I also liked my black leather CWU for work. I sold it to fund another jacket but I kind of miss it now. It was a really good work jacket.

CWUleather.JPG

MikeyB-17

Lignemaginot said:
Miles_Archer said:
Lignemaginot said:
Not "Golden Brown"? ;)

I wear my black leather when copping golden brown. I also wear my sunglasses at night.

With the line, "Never a frown with golden brown", I'm shocked that no one in the UK has put out a version with, "Always a frown, with Gordon Brown."

Yeah, the thought has occurred to me too! Ok, what does Golden brown mean over there that it doesn't mean over here? If it's printable? :)