• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How come USN gear attracts less people than AAF stuff?

Andrew

From a personal perspective i've never had anyone in the family who was connected with the Navy (ours that is) so I don't have any real affinity to it. I suspect that's the same the world over, if you have a pre-existing connection then you would probably be more interested, and it stands to reason there would be many more people worldwide with Army/ Air Force connections than Navy.

tamoko

mazeta said:
bazelot said:
I've noticed that USN flight gear seem to attract less people than its Army counterpart. A rotten beat up, completely unsalvagable A-2 is going to fetch $500 but a salvageable M422A will sell for $15 for example. The list is endless. Any idea why?
Fur collars.

hmmm...
but what about B-10, B15[A,B,CD]
collars is not problem

tamoko

ausreenactor said:
Everyone knows being in the Army(any Army) is better than being in the Navy. Ergo, Army kit is better/cooler/tougher than Navy kit, and worth more!! Not one to make bold statements usually....but took a vote of everyone here and we all said Army is "way" cooler!!

CPL Trevor Couch

$5 jacket is cooler then M-422A ? NO WAY :D
But MA-1 is really cooler then WEP

A

Anonymous

The Navy and Marines I think had more rules regulating, nose art and flight jacket art. The AAF could do whatever.

zoomer

During WW2, most brownshoes didn't even wear a squadron patch on their jackets. I think it was more common postwar (true at least of the units I know, mostly VP or VC 'rons). The nameplate was required tho.

The fur collar thing doesn't stand in the way of the Army B-series jackets because they're winter weight and alpaca lined. The first warm day and they go in storage. A fur collar on a cloth lined jacket looks like decorative trim out of season and feels too warm even in early spring. My '422A is in the storage bin and has been since 1 Apr.

I will always have a soft spot for Naval Aviation because I am an ex-Navy brat (both parents ex-Navy when I arrived) and my family has dear Navy friends, many of them airedales, since they were both in the photo service. These included Noel Bacon, ex-AVG, later test pilot, still later skipper of Naval Photo Center Anacostia. My dad later followed Capt. Bacon into the film stock business. His XO, Cmdr. Hall is still living - last week were were at the Halls' 60th anniversary party. They met at Corpus Christi when he was in flight training. :D

Grant

I've also wondered why USN jackets are less popular than AAF jackets and generally fetch much lower prices. They're better designed, used superior materials and were better made than the average A-2. There's nothing that compares to the beautiful russet goatskin that Willis & Geiger used on their first USN contract, the M422. It has a translucent finish to it that almost looks like an analine finish. The goatskins that Gordon & Ferguson used on their NOS 416A contract are also quite amazing.

Maybe it's because some folks don't care for the longer torso of the M-422a or 55J14?

Grant

I think some of you are correct in that Navy jackets are less popular because most of our fighting was done in the pacific theater where it is warmer and a "no jacket required" theme. Plus many people don't think about us in the same way as the AAF. When you say "I'm in the Navy", people ask what ship were you on, been on or where have you been; and so forth, not what did you fly. They care more about the wooden decks of BB's and their big guns or the sleek lines of Tincans. Yes there are a few out there that might ask did you fly (ie Top Gun), but by and large that is not true today. I know, 17+ years and going strong. :D

zoomer

Grant said:
There's nothing that compares to the beautiful russet goatskin that Willis & Geiger used on their first USN contract, the M422. It has a translucent finish to it that almost looks like an analine finish.
If I were in the repro biz, that would be one my my first offerings: an M-422 without the "A", followed by M-421 and 37J. I'd offer the latter two in leather as well.

MouseVF1

Its all a matter of taste! I'm keeping the USN Flag Flying !

0022.jpg

MouseVF1 said:

0022.jpg
Right on Mouse! I was on the Enterprise in 1976-80 when the VF-1 "Wolf Pack" was onboard! First operational F-14 Squadron!

MouseVF1

sealbeachbum said:
MouseVF1 said:

0022.jpg
Right on Mouse! I was on the Enterprise in 1976-80 when the VF-1 "Wolf Pack" was onboard! First operational F-14 Squadron!

Cheers Bill,

That must have been an awesome experience. I've alway been an aircraft nut ever since my uncle took me up in his cessna when I was 6. Tried to join the Royal Navy as a pilot but hey I was far too thick! no phd in maths or science so I joined the British Army instead and was an officer in the infantry for 10 years. Got some brilliant chopper rides though on ops. I have to admit "that film" got me into G1's as it was a mess favourite and an absolute necessity to pull the girls. Now im into the history and was amazed that the US "retired" so many squadrons and ships, I thought it was just the UK government that was hacking the armed forces to pieces despite being operational all over the world on a scale not seen since WW2. (ok off the soap box) I think the F14 Tomcat is on a par with the Spitfire, Mustang, F4 Phantom, and the B17 in its aesthetic beauty and awe factor, hence being a fan.

All the best

Clive

asiamiles

Grant said:
Maybe it's because some folks don't care for the longer torso of the M-422a or 55J14?
That should make them more rather than less popular...certainly more wearable for "the modern man".

Cheers Bill,

That must have been an awesome experience. I've alway been an aircraft nut ever since my uncle took me up in his cessna when I was 6. Tried to join the Royal Navy as a pilot but hey I was far too thick! no phd in maths or science so I joined the British Army instead and was an officer in the infantry for 10 years. Got some brilliant chopper rides though on ops. I have to admit "that film" got me into G1's as it was a mess favourite and an absolute necessity to pull the girls. Now im into the history and was amazed that the US "retired" so many squadrons and ships, I thought it was just the UK government that was hacking the armed forces to pieces despite being operational all over the world on a scale not seen since WW2. (ok off the soap box) I think the F14 Tomcat is on a par with the Spitfire, Mustang, F4 Phantom, and the B17 in its aesthetic beauty and awe factor, hence being a fan.

All the best

Clive
Yeah, I'm saddened to see the F-14 gone now, but at least the US Navy hasn't cut back on aircraft carriers. We still maintain a twelve carrier fleet. Whenever we commission a new carrier we retire the oldest one. My carrier (USS Enterprise) is slated to retire in 2017. It will be a sad day for me!

STEVE S.

i think alot has to do with the perception of history & how it is told today. look at how often a topic of the air war over europe is on t.v via shows on the history & military channels. then throw in the movies available. the daily bombing raids went on for a couple years before the invasion. seems as the war in the pacific is shown as mainly surface naval battles & infantry island hopping with only a couple major air battles, midway/ mariannas, thrown in. you have to go deeper into things & actually read books to gather the whole picture of air contributions in the pacific, such as close air support. hollywood can make a much more "glamorous" movie about dogfighting the germans over france than marines/navy flying in low & dropping bombs in suport of ground troops.

fl1946 said:
You probably have never been to a Tailhook convention (until we got banned down in San Diego) or the O club before the squadron CO banned G-1's from the club. If you have, you know how rowdy Navy and Marine AVIATORS can get...and the honeys go WILD. I almost lost my G-1 to a pretty thing in one incident.

And if you go to Pensacola, G-1's are still worshipped albeit it's more popular with rotor heads than fixed wing fliers.

Semper Fi!

"Pasha"

Yeah, you got that right--all that you mentioned...Pensacola, my home town--USS LEXINGTON in the 70's....

"Kiss the belly of the Royal Baby"--crossing the equator.

Fly Navy

Members online

Latest posts