• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How can I get rid of the smell of cigarettes ?

better duck

Yep:
Some 10 years ago I bought a second hand VW Passat, that had been driven for a year by a heavy smoker. The car positively reeked of heavy cigarette smoke. Two spraybottles of "Febreze" later and the smell was totally gone. You just spray the stuff on the seats, and whereever smell might reside, and: lo & behold: it has gone!! No ill effects on the upholstery at all. Miracle stuff! Here in Holland you buy the stuff at the supermarket, under the brandname "Febreze" (pronounced the French way) don't know if that's the name of the same stuff in the UK, but with globalisation and the EU it probably is.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
I have washed a RM Anj-4 but still the smell remains.
Any ideas on how to remove the smell ?

Try airing it outside, but out of the sun, this should do it, but otherwise .....

Place it in a plastic bag, sprinkle with bicarbonate of soda, and seal it in for a few days.

And/or spray with an animal odour eliminator from a pet shop.

This combination has worked well for me, others on the forum like to toss the jacket into the clothes drier with coffee grounds. The debate about whether to use them first continues .....

John Lever

deeb7 said:
John Lever said:

Try airing it outside, but out of the sun, this should do it, but otherwise .....

Place it in a plastic bag, sprinkle with bicarbonate of soda, and seal it in for a few days.

This combination has worked well for me, others on the forum like to toss the jacket into the clothes drier with coffee grounds. The debate about whether to use them first continues .....
I'll try that.
Here's the story -
I sold this around 18 months ago for £500 . The buyer never wore it but stored it in his cupboard. Through a complete coincidence we had contact through ebay. He told me the jacket was now too small for him, he planned to sell it after Xmas and that he had never worn it so I bought it back for £400. When it arrived I realised that he was a smoker. So I had an as new jacket that smelled of smoke so I washed it.
Looking on the Few website these are now approximately £1650 !!
It washed beautifully and has gained great character. I might post a comparative review with the Broken Finish Eastman. Since some A2 collectors buy several versions of the same jacket I thought why not do the same for the Anj-4 ?
The other version would be the Aero with the button waist and pockets.
BTW what is the difference between an M445a and the button waist Anj-4 ? [ I suspect they are the same]

A

Anonymous

Try this John get a lend of an ozone generator place the jacket in a closet and hook up the ozone generator in the closet ,let it run for 3 days .May be an ironizer would work never tried it myself .Good luck Jeff

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
BTW what is the difference between an M445a and the button waist Anj-4 ? [ I suspect they are the same]

I think they're the same ... just as the AN6552 is also the AN-J-3A.

The review is a great idea ....

John Lever

deeb7 said:
John Lever said:

I think they're the same ... just as the AN6552 is also the AN-J-3A.

The review is a great idea ....
Might save my cash then as I already have the best version available. Bevans RM M445a.
RMNZM445a.jpg

Tim P

pinching the thread temporarily,, my new goodwear is a bit malodourous at the moment, not a nice leather smell, and it can fill a room. apart from natural wear which dampens it over time, what can I do to help it shed the odour

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tim P said:
... what can I do to help it shed the odour

Just try the methods posted above, Tim .... that's all we got. :)

I've never owned a new goatskin jacket, is the smell usual? My G-1 still has a slight residual goatiness to it, whereas a new horsehide jacket will fill the room with a wonderful aroma that lasts for months.

Jaydee

I got another one for you:
Wash the leather with Lexol PH Leather Cleaner soap. Use 3 towels and warm water. Wet one and pour the soap on it, wet one for rinsing, leave One dry for drying. Lather up a small section of the jacket and then wipe it clean with the second wet towel, immediately dry with dry towel. Let the jacket dry overnight and then condition it. You can repeat this another time if it still stinks, or just be sure to wash it very well the first time. Also you could condition the jacket with Gliptone Conditioner. Smells like new cowhide and conditions ok too. I swear, it smells like leather in a bottle. Good luck with funk :)

srivats

deeb7 said:
I've never owned a new goatskin jacket, is the smell usual? My G-1 still has a slight residual goatiness to it, whereas a new horsehide jacket will fill the room with a wonderful aroma that lasts for months.

MY GW doniger doesn't have a strong odor or anything ... infact it doesn't smell at all unless you go go sniff real close :D Horsehide has a very distinct smell though, wonderful when it fills the room when new :D

Andrew

The best smelling jacket I have is my RMNZ Dubow- it is simply sensational, a very rich classic leathery smell and it's still strong after 3 years.

I have to admit that my GW Dubow, aniline coated Horse- 6 months old is also malodourous (good word Tim), it's a sort of musty slightly chemical smell and I have alsways suspected it's either the type of hides that John's getting or the aniline coating that pongs. I first noticed it on the leather sample John sent me, but it does tend to wear off the more it's used and conversely increases if it's been stored.

Smell aside i'd take John's leather over the RM stuff as it beaks in beautifully and looks more like the real thing.

deeb7 said:
John Lever said:

Ive got to sing praises for the Bicarb Soda trick!! A recently purchased ELC A2 had a horrific stench to it, possibly cigars etc, it was real bad, almost to the point I was ready to move it on. A few days in a bag with a heap of Bicarb and like magic the stench is gone! Its amazing!! Fantastic, thanks :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

havocpaul

I agree that sunshine (here in Southern England?!) and baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) works best, I love my sunshine but baking soda is wonderful for so many things (cleaning, smells, health etc etc).

nogbat

idea... fill the pockets with pipe tobaco then set light to them ,let it burn for an hour and then smell the jacket and see what i mean .. :x :x :x :ugeek:

saucerfiend

oldskoolonly said:
deeb7 said:
John Lever said:

Ive got to sing praises for the Bicarb Soda trick!! A recently purchased ELC A2 had a horrific stench to it, possibly cigars etc, it was real bad, almost to the point I was ready to move it on. A few days in a bag with a heap of Bicarb and like magic the stench is gone! Its amazing!! Fantastic, thanks :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

How exactly do you apply the baking soda? Just place an opened box inside the bag, or sprinkle all over the coat?

Brian