• Hey guys, I had to upgrade the VLJ software because the old one is being phased out. Please let me know of any issues in the SITE UPDATE THREAD. Thanks!

how big is the difference between original Crown and repro

Silver Surfer

uh, stanier, that is an original 1942 closed end crown zipper that you ear marked on worth point. i know because it is one of two that i sold on greedbay recently. they came from trashed wwll shearling overalls. of note is the fact that during the wwll period three models of crown chevron zippers were made. the first was a chrome plate puller and teeth [gimped] with the puller head being flat, and the head not as pointy as the next two models.. the second was also chrome plated with the puller having the ridged head and pointier then the first as seen in the pix above [the most common type]. the third model was designed the same as the second, except that the teeth and stopper were made of zinc and puller zinc plated. because all of the crown zipper used a unique process of fusing the teeth to the tape, called gimping [look closely at the tape and see the metal thread running through it at the area where the teeth are fused to the tape]. this process may be the reason for crown zippers to come undone over time....and the zinc models disintegrating due to contact with salty air, water, urine, etc. oh, and welcome back, kotter.

stanier

Diamond Dave, nice to see you back here!

ELC get their Crowns from BR? I seem to recall a great fanfare years ago when ELC claimed I thought, that they had the rights/bought the name Crown similar to taking the name Roughwear? It was around that time I got them to replace a Talon on a 1401 I had - they never returned the Talon either!!
Maybe that have bought the rights in the UK or EU or wherever. Given their close association with BR it makes sense that they get the zips from them. Why pay tooling costs to do it again?

stanier

uh, stanier, that is an original 1942 closed end crown zipper that you ear marked on worth point. i know because it is one of two that i sold on greedbay recently. they came from trashed wwll shearling overalls. of note is the fact that during the wwll period three models of crown chevron zippers were made. the first was a chrome plate puller and teeth [gimped] with the puller head being flat, and the head not as pointy as the next two models.. the second was also chrome plated with the puller having the ridged head and pointier then the first as seen in the pix above [the most common type]. the third model was designed the same as the second, except that the teeth and stopper were made of zinc and puller zinc plated. because all of the crown zipper used a unique process of fusing the teeth to the tape, called gimping [look closely at the tape and see the metal thread running through it at the area where the teeth are fused to the tape]. this process may be the reason for crown zippers to come undone over time....and the zinc models disintegrating due to contact with salty air, water, urine, etc. oh, and welcome back, kotter.
Thanks for the detail Silver Surfer. It looked good and original to me and was just an example pic I grabbed off the web.

B-Man2

Why do we seem to like crown zips? I know I do. Is it because most of the time the repros come with Talon repros? and Crowns are a bit rarer? I think they look different and have a bit of a cool factor. I have an original on a GW A2 and it works flawlessly.
1ECC7F7C-4512-44BB-B7E0-3F1EF57B3F53.jpeg

Aeroga

Why do we seem to like crown zips? I know I do. Is it because most of the time the repros come with Talon repros? and Crowns are a bit rarer? I think they look different and have a bit of a cool factor. I have an original on a GW A2 and it works flawlessly.
View attachment 18548
The Crown zippers are a rarity compared to Talon but it's the unique appearances and construction that fascinate me. In fact it's one of the determining factors for me in considering which repro contract to go for.