• Hey guys, I had to upgrade the VLJ software because the old one is being phased out. Please let me know of any issues in the SITE UPDATE THREAD. Thanks!

how big is the difference between original Crown and repro

wittmann

Hi everyone,
after research and study of original Crown Chevron zipper, i noticed how big are the differences between orignal and repro. left is a repro, right is NOS Crown Zipper.

PS: who has right now the copyright of crown zipper?

Last edited:

taikonaut

From my experience the original Crown zipper is smoother and does not stick like a cheap repro zipper does.

Pilot

Fragile you say?
Must be Italian.
Corona zippo...:) cerniera della corona

Rob from ELC fixed one of my ex-B-3 since the Crown broke away. John from GW send me a replacement NOS for my original L-2A.
Yes very fragile...

Last edited:

Pilot

Ha.. yup... but all in all a 200 Euro story...
Shipping... Repair... Crown zippers... shipping etc..but who cares... A hobby a passion...

Merry X-Mas...

B-Man2

I’ve seen several original jackets with crown zips and they seem to have held up well over 80 years. I wonder what causes some of them to self destruct while others hang in and go strong for years .

Micawber

I’ve seen several original jackets with crown zips and they seem to have held up well over 80 years. I wonder what causes some of them to self destruct while others hang in and go strong for years .
Heavy handed users? I speak from experience as my wife had doomed many a zip to failure through cackhandidness!

MikeyB-17

It amazes me that when they reproduce these things, they completely ignore an obvious difference like the ridge across the top of the slider, and seem to say ‘aah, that’s close enough’.

wittmann

It amazes me that when they reproduce these things, they completely ignore an obvious difference like the ridge across the top of the slider, and seem to say ‘aah, that’s close enough’.
It’s bad repro job, they reproduced only metall zipper pulled and zipper teeth, the half of original, just like someone made a so-called authentic repro A-2 jacket only with hand warmer pockets, I’m very disappointed.

stanier

Maybe a little caution before drawing too many conclusions. Sure this original Crown zip has the ridge, but there’s plenty of purported original examples on the web that do not. Here’s one example https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/jacket-3-jacket-crown-zipper-original-292637296

There’s also quite a few pics of BR jackets that have Crown zips with the ridge. I understand the ELC zips are sourced from BR and come in various models. My B-15c has a ridged zip.

I’ve got an ELC D-1 with three repro Crowns and all were a bit stiff when new but they’re all silky smooth now.

stanier

Actually, why is the $30 option price scrubbed out in the pic at the start? It’s still on JC’s version.

stanier

To the OP,
Both sliders are completely original to the Crown line at that time. It has long been suspected that one was intended for distribution to the civilian garment industry and one for the military. DD
Thanks Dave. The Crown zip is a passion of mine and my dream A-2 is a Dubow with a Crown, one day I’ll have one. I’ve looked at many, many pics of Crown zips and knew there is nothing wrong with either example above having seen both on jackets. I never knew though that a difference in market objective was behind each type and a great new piece of Crown knowledge to collect, thank you! Clearly somewhere between design and application that original plan got lost!

I love the over engineered spring load of The Crown as well as its general appearance. All that effort for a zip. Wonderful.

johnwayne

Diamond Dave, nice to see you back here!

ELC get their Crowns from BR? I seem to recall a great fanfare years ago when ELC claimed I thought, that they had the rights/bought the name Crown similar to taking the name Roughwear? It was around that time I got them to replace a Talon on a 1401 I had - they never returned the Talon either!!