• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hot Water Treatment

A

Anonymous

Was wondering if during HWT the leather dye would bleach and make the lining a mess.

Anyone has any experience?

Persimmon

I have worked the water treatment many times.
I have repeated it several times on the same jacket too.

From A1 to A2 and so thats on horse, goat and capeskin.

I have never had any leakage onto the lining.

So just when I say its save to do it .....

I think of the recent Eastman italian leather A2's (current stock) and how several members test samples were not ideal to give the water treatment too. See postings.

If the actual jacket was washed would it affect the lining. Now there's a question !!

I would go ahead and you should be fine.

One initial step is to not wear it (as I do on occasions in the shower- yes I am sad !) and lay it instead on the floor of the shower but have the jacket zipped up with cuffs pushed inside.

Work the water in. Wring and message and then put it on to wear to shape.
You will be amazed even with several minutes in the water how dry the lining remains so if thats of concern try it that way.

Hope thats of interest to you.

Let me know if you go ahead and pictures please.

Vcruiser

PLATON said:
Was wondering if during HWT the leather dye would bleach and make the lining a mess.

Anyone has any experience?

The only HWT that I have used on my HH jackets in the past ten years or so is....hot tap water in a spraymist bottle...or holding it under the tap and soaking with hot water to shape collar..pockets..and then wear untill dry..careful not to soak knits or get liner wet (per John Chapmans HWT). I have experienced some minor top finish color loss...but no bleeding on to liner. I've always tried to avoid misshaping or shrinking of the liner and knits due to a complete soaking. It seemed to be a risk that I didn't care to take. Although recently some have seemed to throw them in a washing machine and claim no bad results. However I have read some horror stories over the years on various stages of this forum of jackets shrinking and liners becoming baggy..or visa-versa and knits losing shape,etc.
Van

A

Anonymous

horror yes

I read some stories about washing machines and dryers
My washing machine does not have a dryer
it only has a spinning fast feature that is supposed to take most of the water out

do I need a dryer for the expected results?

Persimmon

Never used a dryer yet.

Wear it for an hour or so to mold to your shape.

Then hang it up on a hanger to dry.

At home during the winter months that a couple of days.
If you have sunshine then hang it up outside and done in an afternoon.

CBI

if you use a dryer, expect shrinkage (by at least one size). The dryer will give you the BEST results. Med heat, take out every 15 mins, turn inside out, then 15, the right side out, etc.. Don't let the jacket sit still in the hot dryer as that can wreck the finish. I have used the tumble dryer on about 25 jackets :)