• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hornbeam Militaria USAAF Crusher

entertainment

I got mine today. It was carefully wrapped and in a large box. Kudos to Hornbeam on that!

I have not seen an original in person, but this crusher is definitely well made.

The only problem is that I should have ordered a size smaller. I got a 7-3/4 which is the size I always wear. What I did not think about is that a UK 7-3/4 might be different than a US 7-3/4. I would suggest that anyone in the US should measure and order based on the metric measurement which is also listed on the website. But too big is definitely better than too small!

The original badge that I ordered in addition to the crusher is super nice.

Smithy

I got mine today. It was carefully wrapped and in a large box. Kudos to Hornbeam on that!

I have not seen an original in person, but this crusher is definitely well made.

The only problem is that I should have ordered a size smaller. I got a 7-3/4 which is the size I always wear. What I did not think about is that a UK 7-3/4 might be different than a US 7-3/4. I would suggest that anyone in the US should measure and order based on the metric measurement which is also listed on the website. But too big is definitely better than too small!

If it's too big Entertainment put some folded newspaper inside the sweatband. This is actually what they did during the war.

I'm waiting on my new badge to turn up, as soon as it does and I've swapped it in on my Hornbeam I'll post a snap or two on here.

entertainment

Smithy, great advice. Thanks!

IMG_3306.JPG

Or if the paper doesn't work out, just let me know, send it back within a month and I'll swap it for a 7 5/8, which at the moment I still have in stock.

All the best
Steve

Smithy

Any tip to distinguish an original one from a repro one?

I've got a repro coming from Warhats which I was told are excellent - unlike some of the garbage repros they're moulded from a real wartime example and not a mould made from a photo. They come in brand new, lightly aged and aged versions. I went for the lightly aged which looks great to my eyes. I'll post some pics when it turns up.

https://www.warhats.com/ww2-american-cap-hat-badges.html#/

Cocker

I've got a repro coming from Warhats which I was told are excellent - unlike some of the garbage repros they're moulded from a real wartime example and not a mould made from a photo. They come in brand new, lightly aged and aged versions. I went for the lightly aged which looks great to my eyes. I'll post some pics when it turns up.

https://www.warhats.com/ww2-american-cap-hat-badges.html#/

Let me know, Smithy, can be a very good alternative, from what I can see!

Cocker

Reference books and a maker name... current issue might have G-22 or V-23 style hallmark.

Silver Wings etc. Maguire book. Just dive into the appropriate category on EBay.

Didn't knew you spoke chinese, Couchy! Well, at least that's how this sounds to me... :D

Roaming a bit through eBay, but as I said, this is pretty new to me and I have a had time telling between original and repro, sometimes.

ausreenactor

Didn't knew you spoke chinese, Couchy! Well, at least that's how this sounds to me... :D

Roaming a bit through eBay, but as I said, this is pretty new to me and I have a had time telling between original and repro, sometimes.
A picture tells a thousand words.... in any language...

tjoenn

Received my crusher a couple of days ago. Really nice! I've never seen an original or a repro other than from pictures and were surprised how "tall" it is in the front.

Anyone has an original badge they want to sell?