• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hornbeam Militaria USAAF Crusher

Steve, your officer's garrison cap I received with the crusher this week is just wonderful! Very happy with both.
Thanks Jerome, that's one of the ones I spent a lot of time working to get right, and one of the ones where the manufacturer had an original example in their hands.
Thanks Steve for coming on and welcome aboard.

Btw I think you have me to blame for creating the surge in sales ;-)

I posted my review here after I was so impressed with my Hornbeam crusher.

Really love my one and I'll be definitely keen on keeping abreast of new things you guys have coming out so stick around and post updates and what you're working on.

Nice, knowledgeable and enthusiastic guys on here so a good crowd to communicate and bounce ideas around with.
Yes, thanks for the feedback Smithy, I appreciate that. More than happy to keep you updated with anything new and A-2/USAAF related. Next up will be replacement wool cuffs. In the UK, I found it near impossible to get some replacement cuffs and waistband for my original B-15, so I thought, well I'll get some made. Will have five different shades, mainly brownish for A-2 jackets. Assuming the admin don't mind me advertising on here?

Love your British shoulder titles too...
Thank you, again, based from originals to get the colour and positioning/size of the letters right. With the infantry ones and the Commando and Army Corps collection, I have nearly 150 different units and I think that is a wider selection than I've seen with any other retailer. Obviously, they're not all from original examples (!), but where that wasn't possible, photographs of originals were used in the same way.
I'm really sorry to hear that it won't be back in stock. If anyone wants to sell their 7 3/4, please let me kow!
Yes, I was just about to say, I still have a couple of 7 3/4's left.
Are original crushers (caps made as crushers rather than standard visor caps with the stiffeners removed) such as Bancroft Flighters that tough to get hold of now? When I was still actively collecting I used to easily source and buy excellent OD and tan ones in good big sizes.
Are you all buying repros for re-enacting now?
You can still find them Steve, but like you say, it's getting harder and harder. I don't think they were deliberately made to be 'crushed', just with slight subtle variations over those that we now don't consider 'crushers'. Single ply visor for example. But I'm pretty sure that there were many, many visor caps crushed by aircrews.

All the best
Steve

Oh sorry, I mistyped. My head circumference is between 59 and 60 cm - more like 59. So that would be a 7 3/8? How tight does the measuring tape need to be?

Thanks
As tight as you want the hat to fit! I am told they measure up very slightly tight, but that said, the fit on me is perfect. 59 is 7 3/8, which I think I am out of....

Steve

B-Man2

I’m not a hat guy but, I’d love to see some fit pictures of some of these . My problem is unless you’re a reenactor or you need it for a display, where and when would you wear one of these?

Brettafett

Burt, this has been my exact question and why Ive never bought one.
Then I got to thinking, remove the badge, give it a wash and wear it like Jake ;)
A bit eccentric, but hell...
754ccf297aa12f790cf47dfc3f70b5a9.jpg

Cocker

I’m not a hat guy but, I’d love to see some fit pictures of some of these . My problem is unless you’re a reenactor or you need it for a display, where and when would you wear one of these?

That's the point, for reenactment :).

Well, more or less. I plan to go to a couple events this year (if Covid rules allow it...) where "period" clothing is not an obligation, but requested. Usually, everybody plays the game and it's pretty fun to do it.

Smithy

Yeah, I'm with Cédric, I'm going to put together a bit of a display for the man cave, and also if someone throws a fancy dress party, I'm sorted!