• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hornbeam Militaria USAAF Crusher

Smithy

You’re right, they probably will not notice a difference. This is the trend with most any replica of a WWII item. More and more people haven’t seen and handled an original, and as a result the expectations have shifted over time.

As I mentioned above I've handled one at the museum I worked at, and following on from that I also made the caveat above that this isn't an original nor to the level of a Diamond Dave crusher. I actually think I made that point in a couple of posts.

What I did say is that this might be the best reproduction for the price point it is selling at currently and especially considering that a lot of reasonably priced repros suffer from hideous shape problems.

I don't think I or anyone else has tried to make these out to be either the best repro on the market or indistinguishable from an original. Rather good bang for your buck.

Dimitry M

As I mentioned above I've handled one at the museum I worked at, and following on from that I also made the caveat above that this isn't an original nor to the level of a Diamond Dave crusher. I actually think I made that point in a couple of posts.

What I did say is that this might be the best reproduction for the price point it is selling at currently and especially considering that a lot of reasonably priced repros suffer from hideous shape problems.

I don't think I or anyone else has tried to make these out to be either the best repro on the market or indistinguishable from an original. Rather good bang for your buck.
@foster Its not a Diamond Dave! Its a Flying Foster!

jerome35

So here it is, changed the insignia for a vintage one.

crusher.JPG

Last edited:

Dimitry M

Thanks! That looks really good. I know the visor is bendable but did you make that bump or did it come like that?

Smithy

That's what I'm going to do with mine too, swap the badge for a better one.

Great crushers for the price.

entertainment

When you first posted, I ordered one too in size 7-3/4. (I have a big head.)
They also had an original cap badge, so I got that too, based on your advice.
Seems to be over the Atlantic at the moment based on tracking.

Smithy

When you first posted, I ordered one too in size 7-3/4. (I have a big head.)
They also had an original cap badge, so I got that too, based on your advice.
Seems to be over the Atlantic at the moment based on tracking.

Hope you like it Entertainment when it turns up. Love my one.

Hi all

Thank you for the kind comments regards these crushers I sell. I wondered why I had a glut of sales and traced it back to here. Regretably I won't be getting any more in this exact style back in stock. Whilst these items are good repro's, I ordered 'off the peg' from a manufacturer and some of the other items I bought at the same time, without my design input, are so terrible, I simply couldn't sell them - pointy garrison caps that make you look like Noddy when you wear them etc...

However, I am in the process of creating a new crusher with a different manufacturer I've used for a while. I tend to provide them with an original example to copy, so the unpiped and Officer garrison caps currently on the website have been designed in this way. They're no experts in WW2 gear but are experts in making clothes, so when they've got an original in their hands, they can source correct materials, in the correct colour and get the shape right on.

I'm a collector of WW2 US gear and a re-enactor so I've got tons of original examples to copy and know the importance of getting it bang on correct - and so does my manufacturer, right down to getting the stitching in the correct place, pattern etc.. I am particularly proud of the un-piped garrisons I've got in stock, they are pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing - Hornbeam Militaria - Unpiped Garrison Caps.

I make things in very small batches, but am currently waiting on a sample A-2 I'm having made up, again modelled on an original in my collection. This won't be anywhere near the price of an Eastman or Aeroleather, but far better than what SoF sell. Also waiting on some Musette bags, water bottle pouches, and AAF + Infantry piped garrisons, in the round end style like the unpiped one above. Also got some M1942s in the works...

If anyone's unhappy with what they order, just drop me a line through the website and I'll take care of it for you.

All the best
Steve

jerome35

Hi all

Thank you for the kind comments regards these crushers I sell. I wondered why I had a glut of sales and traced it back to here. Regretably I won't be getting any more in this exact style back in stock. Whilst these items are good repro's, I ordered 'off the peg' from a manufacturer and some of the other items I bought at the same time, without my design input, are so terrible, I simply couldn't sell them - pointy garrison caps that make you look like Noddy when you wear them etc...

However, I am in the process of creating a new crusher with a different manufacturer I've used for a while. I tend to provide them with an original example to copy, so the unpiped and Officer garrison caps currently on the website have been designed in this way. They're no experts in WW2 gear but are experts in making clothes, so when they've got an original in their hands, they can source correct materials, in the correct colour and get the shape right on.

I'm a collector of WW2 US gear and a re-enactor so I've got tons of original examples to copy and know the importance of getting it bang on correct - and so does my manufacturer, right down to getting the stitching in the correct place, pattern etc.. I am particularly proud of the un-piped garrisons I've got in stock, they are pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing - Hornbeam Militaria - Unpiped Garrison Caps.

I make things in very small batches, but am currently waiting on a sample A-2 I'm having made up, again modelled on an original in my collection. This won't be anywhere near the price of an Eastman or Aeroleather, but far better than what SoF sell. Also waiting on some Musette bags, water bottle pouches, and AAF + Infantry piped garrisons, in the round end style like the unpiped one above. Also got some M1942s in the works...

If anyone's unhappy with what they order, just drop me a line through the website and I'll take care of it for you.

All the best
Steve

Steve, your officer's garrison cap I received with the crusher this week is just wonderful! Very happy with both.

Smithy

Hi all

All the best
Steve

Thanks Steve for coming on and welcome aboard.

Btw I think you have me to blame for creating the surge in sales ;-)

I posted my review here after I was so impressed with my Hornbeam crusher.

Really love my one and I'll be definitely keen on keeping abreast of new things you guys have coming out so stick around and post updates and what you're working on.

Nice, knowledgeable and enthusiastic guys on here so a good crowd to communicate and bounce ideas around with.

Greg Gale

I'm really sorry to hear that it won't be back in stock. If anyone wants to sell their 7 3/4, please let me kow!

Micawber

Are original crushers (caps made as crushers rather than standard visor caps with the stiffeners removed) such as Bancroft Flighters that tough to get hold of now? When I was still actively collecting I used to easily source and buy excellent OD and tan ones in good big sizes.
Are you all buying repros for re-enacting now?