• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Home comforts RAF jumper.

Chris 55

I like a challenge or I might be mad but after looking at the submariners jumper as an alternative to to the Raf frock I discovered the Home comforts range.
Which basically was groups of women kitting for the forces.
I've sent a couple of emails out to local knitting group's to see if they fancy a challenge.

Screenshot_20201203_183243.jpg

Micawber

Knitted things like that were a staple Christmas present back in the day from mum's, grannies and aunties from the make do and mend generation who spent lots of time knitting as a hobby or necessity. Quite amazing how the disposable generations have forgotten stuff that was once the norm.

Ken at Aero Leather

Good luck with your project

We spent years getting a team of hand knitters together to knit Harris Wool sweaters, once we moved them onto Comforts Sweaters, one by one they all quit, too heavy work
We then got our commercial knitters (who make our Submariners) to make them, they had to stop too as the weight of the wool started to screw up the machiniery

I think we now virtually sold out of both but here's the link for refrence https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/products.php?cat=militaryjackets&sub=raf

We are currently sampling with another Scottish knitting company but progress is snail like I'm afraid

Micawber

All the older ladies in the family would sit for hours knitting away producing jumpers, scarves, hats, bobble hats, Balaclava's, cardigans ...the list was endless. These items were distributed throughout family and friends as Birthday or Christmas gifts, used for swapping among knitting friends. In her last years, even when her fingers were knarled with arthritis my Nan would churn out dozens of exquisite tiny babies booties in soft wool of matched colours which she would donate to the premature baby unit at the local hospital. I cherish the few I discovered in her place after she passed some years ago. Mum was the same, she would go through a knitting frenzy in the summer months to produce clothing to give as gifts at Christmas. Knitting was a national pastime in tyhe UK, how quickly these things are forgotten.

ausreenactor

Good knits last. My mother knitted jumpers for my 2 daughters 30 years ago, my granddaughters are wearing them now.

My Mum was a test knitter for Cleckheaton, a wool producer in Australia. Basically a test pilot for patterns, needle sizes and such. I wanted the girls to learn but they are all about Tik Tok.

Still waiting for my OD vest. Might as well get the WWII pattern back.

Chris 55

I think those gent's among us of a certain age will have been brought up by our grandma's will have been taught the basics sewing and knitting knit one pearl one etc.
Those where the days before ping pong on the telly game and scalextric.
Certainly different times then the kids these days don't know what there missing.

Chris 55

I those gent's among us of a certain age will have been brought up by our grandma's will have taught the basics sewing and knitting knit one pearl one.
Those where the days before ping pong on the telly game and
Good luck with your project

We spent years getting a team of hand knitters together to knit Harris Wool sweaters, once we moved them onto Comforts Sweaters, one by one they all quit, too heavy work
We then got our commercial knitters (who make our Submariners) to make them, they had to stop too as the weight of the wool started to screw up the machiniery

I think we now virtually sold out of both but here's the link for refrence https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/products.php?cat=militaryjackets&sub=raf

We are currently sampling with another Scottish knitting company but progress is snail like I'm afraid
Thanks Ken

Otter

I had a copy of that pattern, my aged mother knitted one for me. She said it was relatively straightforward.

Chris 55

Yes it worked out really well in the end.
I use it quite a lot when doing RAF stuff and it will come in handy as I'm doing Great Escape event next year at an old camp to mark the 80th.