• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holy Smokes!!! Another Super Score Today!!!

a2jacketpatches

I went to this sale just because of the Ike style officers jacket I saw in the ad, turned out to be custom tailored, not just a cut up class A chocolate. Also, super cool Bush Jacket complete with belt and theater made insignia. Two real crusher caps in chocolate, a little moth nipped, but real crushers with super flexible brims. Some paperwork and some smalls as seen in the photos. Most expensive item was the Ike at 15- The Bush Jacket was 4- with all the other "shirts"
Fridayhaul001.jpg

Fridayhaul002.jpg

Fridayhaul003.jpg

Fridayhaul004.jpg

Fridayhaul005.jpg

Fridayhaul006.jpg

Fridayhaul007.jpg

Fridayhaul008.jpg

Fridayhaul009.jpg

Fridayhaul010.jpg

Fridayhaul011.jpg

Fridayhaul012.jpg

Andrew

You paid how much for all that? :shock: What a fantastic grouping, please don't say you're gonna split it up. Looks like a fantastic research project. You lucky bugger.

a2jacketpatches

About a hundred buck total, I'll be keeping the named and complete items together, but it doesn't make sense to me rebuilding items with missing insignia etc. It wouldn't be original to the pilot and are just individual items without even a name in them. He will get the respect of keeping together any paperwork with his name, the complete bush jacket, an overseas cap, etc. Unfortunately I wasn't able to grab everything, I just watched as some dealer bought his dog tags, and a bunch of other people rifled through his photos and such making a complete mess of it within seconds. It only makes sense that I do it this way as I don't have the room to keep everything together right down to the loose and mismatched collar insignia, I'll have a nice grouping that represents this guy, and recover my investment as well selling the insignificant items.

Andrew

a2jacketpatches said:
About a hundred buck total, I'll be keeping the named and complete items together, but it doesn't make sense to me rebuilding items with missing insignia etc. It wouldn't be original to the pilot and are just individual items without even a name in them. He will get the respect of keeping together any paperwork with his name, the complete bush jacket, an overseas cap, etc. Unfortunately I wasn't able to grab everything, I just watched as some dealer bought his dog tags, and a bunch of other people rifled through his photos and such making a complete mess of it within seconds. It only makes sense that I do it this way as I don't have the room to keep everything together right down to the loose and mismatched collar insignia, I'll have a nice grouping that represents this guy, and recover my investment as well selling the insignificant items.

Absofrigging amazing.

That sounds like a good idea. If I didn't already have a flighter i'd be hitting you up. Love that bush jacket. What's the pocket guide to Oz like? I'll bet it's a laugh by todays standards.

Is that choco garrison cap an enlisted type with blue and orange piping? I also just bought another summer officers garrison but would you mind taking a close up shot of the gold/ black piping on that so I can compare?

Sorry for all the questions but you were asking for it ;) Thx

a2jacketpatches

Well my cobber, the dinkum oil on the pocket guide is this, it tells Americans all they need to know in order to meet up with a sheila, cliner, or sninny, but don't tell my trouble and strife I said so. :lol:

The overseas / garrison caps as far as I know, chocolate anything is for officers only anywhere in the Army, and the blue and gold piping is used by officers in the Air Corps. The black and metallic gold piping is officer in general and used by regular Army and the Air Forces. This choc has the B/G piping but I'm not sure enlisted AAF were authorized piping. I think the regular army used colored piping for enlisted because of the diversity of MO's
(maroon for medics, red for artillery, blue for infantry, etc.)
overseascaps003.jpg

overseascaps002.jpg

overseascaps001.jpg

dmar836

If it all came from the same estate, caps, paperwork, etc. I would not separate ANY of the items. Also, in this case I wouldn't have no problem putting the insignia back on the Ike jacket - obviously they were often removed to clean the jacket, etc. I would not assume that the ribbons were from anyone else nor that they are "insignificant". If these were his items, named or not, they go together IMO. Please don't break them up!
JMO,
Dave

watchmanjimg

The overseas / garrison caps as far as I know, chocolate anything is for officers only anywhere in the Army, and the blue and gold piping is used by officers in the Air Corps. The black and metallic gold piping is officer in general and used by regular Army and the Air Forces. This choc has the B/G piping but I'm not sure enlisted AAF were authorized piping. I think the regular army used colored piping for enlisted because of the diversity of MO's
(maroon for medics, red for artillery, blue for infantry, etc.

Partially correct, and we discussed this recently. Braid in branch-of-service colors was exclusive to enlisted personnel including AAF. Officers throughout the Army wore the black-and-gold braid, including AAF. Please note that some AAF aviation cadets wore enlisted uniforms during pilot training. In any case I wouldn't consider this cap as proof that AAF officers wore the blue-and-orange braid without more.

a2jacketpatches

dmar836 said:
If it all came from the same estate, caps, paperwork, etc. I would not separate ANY of the items. Also, in this case I wouldn't have no problem putting the insignia back on the Ike jacket - obviously they were often removed to clean the jacket, etc. I would not assume that the ribbons were from anyone else nor that they are "insignificant". If these were his items, named or not, they go together IMO. Please don't break them up!
JMO,
Dave
Again, please see just above the blood chit photos in the completely different post, that was an entirely different group of items from a WW2 Navy Pilot / post WW2 Air Force Pilot that I purchased last week. The Navy ribbons have flat back clutches and the AF items have the bumps, that guy served in both the Navy and Air force up til the Vietnam War. The seller has already seperated nearly everything the guy had. I do have his dog tags from the Navy and a single from the AF.

In this post, The collar insignia is all mismatched, no wings to fill the holes in the tailored ike. Also, what I mean by insignificant, is the carlisle kit, pamphlets, and other items that are not named, have no writing in them, etc. Unfortuntately, I don't have room to display every piece. I'm also a member of the U.S. Militaria Forum, and my plans and thoughts are accepted there. I plan to show respect for this pilot and any of the items that help tell his story.

a2jacketpatches

watchmanjimg said:

Partially correct, and we discussed this recently. Braid in branch-of-service colors was exclusive to enlisted personnel including AAF. Officers throughout the Army wore the black-and-gold braid, including AAF. Please note that some AAF aviation cadets wore enlisted uniforms during pilot training. In any case I wouldn't consider this cap as proof that AAF officers wore the blue-and-orange braid without more.
Not assuming anything at all, simply this, I bought a typically officers chocolate overseas cap with blue and gold braid piping yesterday from the estate of a WW2 Lt. Pilot of a P-47 in the 10th AF

a2jacketpatches

Some guys are sending me PM's concerning a few items, but I'm getting an error message whenever I reply to a pm or initialize one. Says that I'm sending to too many recipients. I posted about this yesterday but no input so far. I'm guessing this is isolated to me because I'm receiving PM's fine.

a2jacketpatches

Just got a call from the estate sale co. owner, it seems there are some pins and a couple of pics of the guy in uniform, we'll see very soon what's up.

watchmanjimg

watchmanjimg said:

a2jacketpatches said:
Not assuming anything at all, simply this, I bought a typically officers chocolate overseas cap with blue and gold braid piping yesterday from the estate of a WW2 Lt. Pilot of a P-47 in the 10th AF

No offense intended as I was only trying to help. While I agree that the chocolate elastique fabric was used typically in officer's uniforms, it was by no means exclusive to officers as many enlisted men purchased tailor-made caps in the "officer grade" fabric. Once again, the distinction is in the braid. Here are two such examples as worn by enlisted men, both with Infantry braid. The cap on top was worn in the ETO by my late great-uncle SGT John Grassi. The braid was soiled from negligent storage when Uncle John gave me the cap over 30 years ago, and I attempted to show a clearer representation of the blue color in the photo at right. The cap at the bottom of the photo at left more closely resembles the M1950 style, although some privately purchased WW2 EM caps were constructed this way regardless of the fabric used.

Garrisoncaps001.jpg
Garrisoncaps002.jpg

Just to shake things up a bit more, below are two caps named to the same Army colonel who wore them in the '50s. The upper cap is made from the typical chocolate elastique, but interestingly the lower example is made from wool serge in OD Shade 33--the fabric used in enlisted uniforms in WW2 and thereafter. This German-made cap was clearly intended to match the standardized Shade 33 "Ike" uniform mandated for EMs and officers alike in the postwar era, but in my experience it's somewhat less common than the EM caps made from chocolate "officer grade" fabric.

Garrisoncaps003.jpg

dmar836

If members are sending PMs asking you to break it up, I'll throw my hat in the ring to keep it all together. I'd like to see what else shows up but consider this a tentative offer IF it's kept together. I know profit is certainly a motive and I dont want to upset other members but keeping historical items grouped is very important to many of us.
Dave

a2jacketpatches

Actually, two of the pm's are for custom patches, one to purchase the wings plaque, and the others are just comments on the grouping. Any advice as to fixing my pm-ing issues? It just came out of the blue and really chappin my hide.

a2jacketpatches

"No offense intended as I was only trying to help"

None taken, honestly.
I'm just guessing on this one, absolutely nothing in the house to suggest enlisted service, just lots of chocolate and officer stuff.