HLB M-422?

Discussion in 'General Flight Jacket Discussion' started by Stony, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Stony

Stony Well-Known Member

I've been in touch with someone that says they have a HLB M-422, but I thought Monarch, W&G and Switlik were the only makers of that contract. I know that HLB made a M-422a, so what differences would set the two contracts apart? They sent me a picture of the jacket, but of course the label is missing.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

Hey Wilson,
    As far as I know you're correct. Full Gear only lists Monarch and W&G (2 contracts) as having M422 contracts. With Dave Sheeley's discovery of the Switlik M422, that brings it to three.
    H&L Block had two contracts for the M422a (NXS-5134 and NXas-5134) - courtesy of Aota Mituhiro.

3. Stony

Stony Well-Known Member

Yes, I talked to J.C. about this and he said the person I talked to was probably talking about the H&L Block. J.C. is also the one that found the Switlik that Dave now has.

Did Aota write a book about this?

4. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

Aota's book is titled Full Gear (now out of print). It's a collectors guide for flying clothing from the 20's through the 70's.

5. Stony

Stony Well-Known Member

Aota probably go this information from M.H. who did a lot of research on navy jackets about 20 years ago from official sources. He said he gave copies of his information to someone in Japan.