• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High boots flyers, mounted troops, motorbike

Thomas Koehle

Gents,

to complete a somehow "vintage" look when I'm out on my panhead I'm looking for highboots to go with breeches ...

I know the cavalry-boots offered by SM WHOLESALE as well as the boots from WhatPriceGlory in fully laced or in the 3 buckle version. Overall the WPG boots are more expensive and - at least from the pictures - the SM Wholesale footgear looks much better ...

7xbDohh.jpg

I do not want ot go with the 3 buckles but also do not feel really attracted by the WPG full laced version - my legs are skinny like fencepoles and I do not think the "extra calf" room in the WPG boots might suit me.

Anyone any experience with the WPG boots or with the SMW version? Maybe any photos?
Anyone any other idea where to get those vintage looking things without looking gay?
Anyone maybe a source for WW2 british dispatch rider boots in size 11 / 11.5?

Preffered color would be brown and necessary size is 11 to 11.5 or 12

Once again: i`m not after those shiny, knee-high, polished, with thick rubber sole versions usually seen in the "Black Oyster Bar" (you remember "Police Academy"?) but in vintage looking footgear which might go along with breeches.

Don`t let me down ladies!

Thomas

B-Man2

Thomas
I don’t have any information for you but couldn’t the adjustment straps around the calves of the boots be trimmed or re-adjusted to fit your calves. I would think that a good leathercraft person could properly trim them up for a decent fit without you spending too much money.

dinomartino1

I like them they would look good with whipcord breeches, the lace up ones would be a pain in the arse in the arse to put on, I'm a vintage bike guy like you.
The wpg boots would most likely be Chinese, not sure about SM Mexico I think.
I know what I would rather get and $295.00 does not seem to be wildly expensive for that much boot.
I suppose you have you heart set on real high and the jump boots are not high enough.
Long leather gaiters/puttees with boots would be a cheaper option if thats a concern, the Swedish army ankle boots are fairly cheap.
I don't then anybody makes repro Don R boots.

270459_160106827391305_3474638_n.jpg

Last edited:

dinomartino1

73 FLH
I did a 67" paint scheme on the tank.
It had the discs on it when I bought it, I don't like them on old bikes.
Thomas are you from Germany?, if you are then you understand all about shitty govt. motorcycle regulations about modifying bikes.
On a modern bike just about anything you modified would be illegal.
Pre 1974 no indicators required, thats why I don't have any another thing I hate, but whatever the age one at least one mirror is mandatory.
On old bikes you can get away with a lot more the police have no idea what there are looking at but only up to a point
I would have bobbed it but here you might get away with a chopped rear mudguard but getting continually caught by the police without one on the front would make you lose your drivers licence very quickly.
If I was pulled up on your pan here by the police here I would just for starters get done for
No front mudguard
Rear mudguard too short
No mirror
No chain guard
Not wearing or wearing a Non approved helmet is alone a $560 fine.
Hopefully I would not have a loose chain or borderline tyre wear, more offences.
Offences also carry demerit points, accumulate 12 and you lose your licence.

I need my licence for my job so I can't risk it.

Visibly non stock Harleys will attract a lot of police attention here because of the club violence .

My first Harley was a stock 1999 XLC sportster about 12 years ago, I did this to it but was never happy because the front mudguard, indicators and mirrors spoiled the look, I was toying around with a weld on rigid [ too much hassle from the cops if iI got pulled up, I would lose the plates and have to convert it back to pass the vehicle roadworthiness test again] and a company did come out with a kickstart kit for evos but I never did it.

bike1.jpg

228505_150043965064258_1225411_n.jpg

shed1.jpg

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

73 FLH
I did a 67" paint scheme on the tank.
It had the discs on it when I bought it, I don't like them on old bikes.
Thomas are you from Germany?, if you are then you understand all about shitty govt. motorcycle regulations about modifying bikes.
On a modern bike just about anything you modified would be illegal.
Pre 1974 no indicators required, thats why I don't have any another thing I hate, but whatever the age one at least one mirror is mandatory.
On old bikes you can get away with a lot more the police have no idea what there are looking at but only up to a point
I would have bobbed it but here you might get away with a chopped rear mudguard but getting continually caught by the police without one on the front would make you lose your drivers licence very quickly.
If I was pulled up on your pan here by the police here I would just for starters get done for
No front mudguard
Rear mudguard too short
No mirror
No chain guard
Not wearing or wearing a Non approved helmet is alone a $560 fine.
Hopefully I would not have a loose chain or borderline tyre wear, more offences.
Offences also carry demerit points, accumulate 12 and you lose your licence.

I need my licence for my job so I can't risk it.

Visibly non stock Harleys will attract a lot of police attention here because of the club violence .

My first Harley was a stock 1999 XLC sportster about 12 years ago, I did this to it but was never happy because the front mudguard, indicators and mirrors spoiled the look, I was toying around with a weld on rigid [ too much hassle from the cops if iI got pulled up, I would lose the plates and have to convert it back to pass the vehicle roadworthiness test again] and a company did come out with a kickstart kit for evos but I never did it.

View attachment 13652

Congrats for your nice bikes!

Yeah I know what you are talking about!

Compared to the US Germany is much more strict in terms of mods on bikes but for a bike more than 70 years old PANHEAD regulations are pretty relaxed - even without the frontfender I'd pass the roadworthy test

your sporty reminds me the bike I did for my wife back in China - was based on the local made CJ750 which was a license of the Russian URALs / DNEPRs respectively the WW2 German BMW R12

7jpEI3f.jpg

dinomartino1

I used to live in Los Angeles,. when I did the CA. driving test I was amazed by how useless it was, for a bike the test was done in the testing centre car park, you did not go on the road, I just weaved around a few dots painted on the ground which would have been about twice as far apart as that part on the MC test in the UK.
For the car you do it in automatic no hill start etc, I just drove a few blocks from the testing office and drove back again, what I assume was the parking test consisted of pulling over to the curb on a totally empty road, I don't if its alway's that easy the tester did like my accent.

There used to be a shop in south London years ago, don"t know its still there, that just sold new and used cossacks, urals and the other Russian bikes, the second hand ones where pretty cheap.

Last edited: