• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HGU-55 helmet "VF-41 Black Aces" ...

ties70

Here is another helmet project that is almost done: It is a replica of a USN HGU-55, taped as a VF-41 helmet.

IMG_20210901_1202294.jpg

It all started with a replica shell, done by a nice guy from Singapore. Unfortunately, the shell arrived and was cracked...

IMG_20210708_1200182.jpg

My initial thought was to save the edge roll and hardware, but after a few days I decided to repair it instead...

IMG_20210728_1632253.jpg

received_347925380132310.jpeg

Instead of repainting it, I decided for a tape job...
IMG_20210830_1130347.jpg

IMG_20210830_1543313.jpg

IMG_20210830_1642486.jpg

IMG_20210901_1203255.jpg

IMG_20210901_1202514.jpg

It needs the proper communication devices installed, and a more recent MBU-12 mask, but I am quite happy with it already.

Ties

Cocker

Woah, amazing job you did there!

Is this guy only offering HGU-55 replica, or also other models?

ties70

Woah, amazing job you did there!

Is this guy only offering HGU-55 replica, or also other models?

Cédric,

the shells come from a nice guy in Singapore, Samuel Tan (he is a member of FB's "Flight Gear Collectors and Collections"). He is doing these shells as replicas, but in the end they are produced quite the same as the originals were: Laminated by glass fibre cloth and epoxy resin. He is experimenting with kevlar and carbon and hopes to offer them in these materials next year.

His mold is an original Gentex HGU-55 in size large.

The price for the raw shell is 100 USD.
Some work is required...maybe a coat of spray filler to smoothen out the surface...you need to drill the holes for the hardware and most important for the edge roll...the leather is stitched to the shell, folded around the foam and fixed with rubber cement on the inside...

Apart from the shell, nearly all other parts are original spare parts: The edge roll foam is from Gentex (Gibson & Barnes uses regular pipe insulation stuff from "Home Depot", so is the hardware (snaps, screws, O2 receivers, chin / nape strap) and the leather covered "Comfort Liner".

The 55 shell differs from the earlier shell types basically by the different shape in the face area, where it is cut a little deeper to provide a better viewing angle.

You can turn the shell into a 33, though.
The 55 can be equipped with the EEK single visor... Gibson & Barnes offers a full set, especially for the 55 shell. Add the full cast mask receivers, and despite the pros nobody will see the difference between a regular 33 and a modified 55...

With original Gentex parts from G&B the problem is that they don't take PayPal and they don't deliver to Germany / Europe...

Let me know if you need more information!

Ties