• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with provenance!

johnwayne

Hi all
Ive owned my Dubow original for some years now and tried numerous times to unravel if I can, any info on its original owner/wearer!
Every time I've tried I seem to hit a brick wall so wonder if any of you in the US can help/point me in the right direction please?
As you can see from the pic the stamped name in the lining is Frank L Scott with # 0.900392. Of course this could have one of several owners but the nearest I got was a name out of Vermont Washington but cant find any more info or indeed now, from where I located that!! It’s a ‘42 contract 27798 Dubow.
Any help would be much appreciated - internet searches continually send me in the direction if the famed Flying Tiger, Robert Scott!!!
D76051B9-DC48-4F63-A22C-11C2B150694E.jpeg

Smithy

There was a Captain Frank L. Scott flying out of Maxwell Field in Alabama in a training capacity in 1943 and 1944.

The 0- prefix of the serial number stencilled in your jacket is for an officer so that might be a match. Maxwell Field still operates as Maxwell Air Force Base in which case it might be worth sending an email to the base historian for confirmation.

Smithy

Wow thanks Smithy - sounds quite credible, I’ll give it a try! Cheers

Happy to help.

I can't promise it's the same chap but there's a very reasonable chance it could be. There can't have been too many officer grade Frank L. Scotts in USAAC/USAAF service.

dinomartino1

A search of the US national archives with that service number shows nothing, it does not mean it never existed just that it may not be digitised, many records where destroyed by a fire in 1973.
I would contact the National Personnel Records Center tell them what you have and see what records you can apply for, many others will also exist that may have the name and no. decorations, promotions, medical, POW, casualties, VA benefits etc.

Army officers continued to be assigned service numbers based on when they joined the officer corps with a service number range of 1 to 20 000. In 1935, the Army extended the service numbers to 499 999 and, in 1942, officer service numbers were extended again to 3 000 000.
Officers of the Regular Army were assigned lower service numbers, with West Point graduates in the 1920s and 1930s receiving those in the 20 000 to 50 000 range. The service numbers 800 000 through 999 999 were reserved for officers with special duties, while higher service numbers were held by officers of the Officers' Reserve Corps, graduates of officer candidate schools, or those who had been directly commissioned from the enlisted ranks.
By 1942, the Army had also discontinued the prefix O and established that all officer numbers would begin with a zero. For instance, an officer with the service number O-2 345 678 would have the number written in military records as 02 345 678.

Last edited:

johnwayne

Already tried emailing Maxwell AFB via their website but for reasons unknown it wouldnt go through (something to do with Capcha) so need to pursue it further but appreciate your help guys, thank you very much.

johnwayne

Thanks so much Dino, initially it doesn’t allow me access although I have emailed the administrators so we’ll see what transpires!
Cheers
Wayne

dinomartino1

Thanks so much Dino, initially it doesn’t allow me access although I have emailed the administrators so we’ll see what transpires!
Cheers
Wayne

Some great jackets and flight gear there, you should get access soon.
I can post anything for you if there are problems.

johnwayne

Hi Dino, sorry for the belated reply but many thanks indeed for your help, really is appreciated. So far no response from earlier searches but time allowing I’ll give this a shot, sent my request, sounds promising!
Kind regards
Wayne

Smithy

Did you try again to contact Maxwell AFB? They'll be able to confirm whether the serial number in your jacket matches that of the Frank L. Scott who served there in '43 and '44.

johnwayne

Hi Smithy
Yes thanks, I have emailed them although no response to date but I do aim to pursue that route as its sounds very plausible he’s my man! Thanks again
Cheers
Wayne

Smithy

Hi Smithy
Yes thanks, I have emailed them although no response to date but I do aim to pursue that route as its sounds very plausible he’s my man! Thanks again
Cheers
Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I've been in contact with a couple of base historians around the US when I was researching guys from wartime and they were really helpful, even to the point of sending photos from the usual PR things that bases did back in those days to send things to the airman's local home newspaper.

Well worth trying that avenue and seeing what pops up.

Let me/us know how you get on if you do as it'd be great to put a face and a service history to a jacket.

Cheers and keep us posted,

Tim