• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help With G-1 Repro

tda003

I ran across this jacket and can use some help IDing more about it.
G-1Repro.1.jpg
G-1Repro.2.jpg
G-1Repro.3.jpg
G-1Repro.4.jpg

mulceber

If I recall, some years ago, Willis & Geiger, which had several Navy contracts back in WW2, did a re-release of some of their classic Navy designs. My guess would be that this is one of them.

mulceber

Well, ya never know - I'm not a big navy jacket guy, so someone who knows more might come in any time now and say "well actually...." ;)

Thomas.m

G-1 is good, but M-422(A) looks more beautiful :)
Are you thinking about to get a M-422A repro navy jacket instead of G-1?

tda003

I have a very good M-422A already. Pictures of it are posted here under vintage. I also have my own G-1 recently refinished, also with pictures here. This seems a good repro. Don't know if the collar is correct for that contract year. I probably will check. Also don't know if WG made G-1 jackets under that contract number. Does seem like a quite nice repro. Don't think I would be a player for $450 when there are good originals in that price range. Still looks like a good jacket and, in the day, WG made quality goods. Don't know if that's the case here.

sobrien

This is a repro. I have a similar jacket in a 44. These are from the 80s/ early 90s. They are from the Avedon era. He bought the company and started manufacturing vintage style clothing and accessories. I got one used at a very good price because my dad's LWFoster size 40 wouldn't fit me anymore, plus I didn't want to ruin it. They are not totally accurate but mine suits me fine.

tda003

Thanks for the updated information. Is this was a larger size, I'd be tempted if the price was right. As it is, it just piqued my curiosity.

tda003

I had a WG Ernest Hemingway safari jacket from the Avedon period. The quality was excellent. I gave it to a friend. I figured 'gater hunting in the Okeefenokee Swamp probably didn't count as a real safari.

tda003

The jacket arrived yesterday. I'll post additional pictures when I get back. The jacket is in excellent condition with perfect leather, collar and lining. I has some minor mothing. This seems to be a common condition on all the WG repros that I've seen. The wind flap does not have the punched USN, which is correct for a 55J14 G-1. The collar does not have a "USN" stencil, which is not correct for this model. The collar has the correct shape for a 55J14. The goatskin is quite soft and supple. With the correct stencil, I believe that it would be an exact replica.