• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Cagleco G-1 contract identification

Bluebottle

I've just inherited this jacket from my father. It is too small for him, and too big for me! So will be up for sale eventually, but I'm keen to find out a little more about if first.

I'll photograph it properly asap, but for the moment, this is the label, which is very worn. I know it is a Cagleco Sportswear, and fairly certain it's MIL-J-7823(AER) specification. It has a lovely big block USN stamped off centre on the collar, but does not have the USN perforations in the windflap. I'm not so sure on contract numbers though. I've done a little googling, and I think there were 6 contracts for G-1's awarded to Cagleco? Is there somewhere I could cross reference what's left of this label with others so I could pinpoint the date better?

The collar is a lovely light russet colour. I'm not sure if it's faded? I've seen reference to other Caglecos with a much darker collar. (Like Andrews' recent aqusition a couple of posts below)

Much obliged,

Mike.

Cagleco contract G-1 flight jacket by Mike, on Flickr

Bluebottle

The cuffs have obviously been replaced, the waist knit is original though and in good condition. The zip was a Conmar, but only the female side is original. The male side has been replaced with a new Talon (the other half and the puller is in the pocket). I'm in two minds about replacing the other side as the Talon puller looks so much nicer than that little block Lee. Also it will slide so much better. It's a lot of work for a jacket I'm only going to flip, but it's in such nice condition otherwise I think it deserves the effort. What do the good folks here think? Will it make it easier to sell?

Roughwear

Ideally it should have a NOS Conmar. However if you are planning on flipping it, it might be best to let the new owner decide what to do. Some collectors prefer jackets to be as original as possible and others would want a complete Conmar zipper and might be able to replace just the Talon tape with the correct pattern Conmar.

Silver Surfer

none of my bees wax, but these 50s cags do not get a lot of dough at auction, like $300+-...maybe, so perhaps ya might want to have it as a keep sake even though its not your size. it looks to be in good wearable condition, and maybe with a sweater worn underneath......

Bluebottle

I've not done much research, but looking around on the internet I guessed this might be worth £250 ... good to know I'm not far off. The money would be more handy to me than the jacket right now!

It's a shame the fit is off. It's for a tall slim 44, and I'm a short (not so slim) 40. Plus, I already have a 1968 Brill Bros that rarely gets worn. I've thought about selling that too, but I paid £120 for it in 1996, and I'm more than a little miffed that it probably hasn't gone up in value 1 penny in those twenty years!

No, I only keep stuff I can wear. I'd like to move this on to someone it fits. Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated.