• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with a G1 makeover

Dover

I've been looking for a vintage G1 that I could use as a regular wearer. I recently found this one on ebay.
With a buy it now price of $135 and a wearable size 44 I took a chance. Just arrived today and I'm pleased.
The goatskin is in good shape no rips or tears. The mouton collar is excellent with only the normal signs of wear. Also has a pretty cool squadron patch. All together pretty good shape for a 1950's jacket.
A few things need repair and here is where I have a few questions. There are some small spots of paint around the pocket. How to remove the paint without harming the leather? There is one pocket button missing. Where can I find a replacement? The squadron patch is rather dirty, any ideas on how to clean it? Finally, the zipper is missing a tooth at the bottom. Can it be fixed or simply replace the entire zipper? Thanks for your help!
DSC_1387.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_1389.jpg
    DSC_1389.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC_1395.jpg
    DSC_1395.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 332
  • DSC_1392.jpg
    DSC_1392.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 306

Tommy

Looks great! Is the zipper workable as it is?

I need to start a similar thread due to a few issues with my own early G1!

Flightengineer

Nice jacket!
If the zipper works well, I would not change it.
The patch can be gently washed with an ordinary soap and sponge and a little water, nothing should happen with it. Maybe it will not be completely like new ... but this has its own charm.

Clark J

Pretty sure the male side of the zip is toast , and I don’t think it has the correct pull , you would have to find someone who knows what the correct zipper would be . If it’s supposed to be an all brass Conmar Mash Co in Japan has them .

robrinay

I’ve had some success in transplanting zipper teeth if they are brass but never with aluminium zips as they are too brittle provided the tape isn’t too frayed. First find a brass donor zip with the right size teeth (most likely a size 5 on a black label G1), and remove a few teeth -in case of breakages, by prising then off with a blunt knife or by pulling them off the tape with a pair of snipe nosed pliers. Use a blunt knife (careful!) to slightly widen the legs of a tooth, next position it correctly on your jackets zipper tape and squeeze the legs together with the snipe nosed pliers. Try the zip to test if you’ve been successful. If your zipper pull is the right size it should work - I’ve found that Talon Crown and Conmar size 5 pulls work on various makes of size 5 tape (including modern opti brass zipper tape).

Last edited:

robrinay

I’m know I’ll be corrected if I’m wrong but my guess is that it would have been fitted with a size 5 Conmar perhaps with a blackened zipper pull.

MikeyB-17

I had one of those. It should have a blackened Conmar-mine had been replaced, and I looked into getting the proper zip for it, but it never happened. $135? That’s cracking for a 7823(AER).

Flightengineer

Dover, I have G-1 of the same contract. This is 1956 year.

cd672c289dd6.jpg

Correct zip is Conmar, here mine

05f07338d564.jpg

Congrats again, $ 135 is for free for this jacket.

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

also, if you get a aluminum conmar, you can blacken it it with gun bluing. proper brass conmars of the period are available on greedbay from time to time. and yes, the brass ones can be blackened with gun bluing also. however, for the time being i would try robinrays suggestion or inserting a tooth at the bottom of the zipper run. try carefully lightly scraping the paint [should be hard and crusty] with the end of an exacto knife. most will come off. when finished, you can mix up acrylic paint to match, and apply a thin dab once or twice to the scraped areas, and over the remaining white paint. remove one of the collar buttons and sew it onto the pocket. replace the collar button with a repro [eb mash, etc]. if the color is off, paint it to match.