• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help to identify this 81st BS A-2

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Gentlemen

Received this babe a couple days ago.
According to the information received, it belonged to Major General Warner E. Newby. During World War II he was assigned to the 81st Bombardment Squadron, 12th Bombardment Group, as a B-25 pilot and was transferred to the Middle East with the group in 1942, participating in campaigns in the Middle East and North Africa.
The jacket is in amazing condition, adorned with a leather name tag above the 81st BS patch and Major rank on the epaulettes. The leather is flawless, it was redyed and has developed an amazing patina over the years. Genuine knits are in great condition with just a couple of tiny moth holes here and there and features an original TALON zipper working perfectly. Unfortunately the tag is missing (only shows the size “44”) so maybe you could help to identify this one.
Here are some pictures to entertain your Wednesday.
6722B334-AC47-4164-943D-EB39A363195B.jpeg
C74B8C8C-53A9-41DA-933B-8AE85B19491F.jpeg
48C88BE7-5D7D-4701-B12A-C3FBC0F5193E.jpeg

B419AC54-C2DD-4677-BF50-13D384F85583.jpeg
08D85523-F77C-4C6C-AAF3-9978BA9F67FD.jpeg
263F665A-D168-402A-A6A1-027EE0FF92E3.jpeg

Last edited:

B-Man2

Two 1940 Contracts came with the M-39 Talon No.5, auto lock. Nickel Plated zipper, which is what is on this jacket.
One was the Aero 16160 and the other was the Rough Wear 16159 contract. However the Aero had large ring pocket snaps unlike this jacket.
The Rough Wear had ball snap United Carr pocket snaps exactly like this jacket. Also the Rough Wear 16159 had the same configured Epaulets.
Based on this I would say it is likely to be a Rough Wear W535ac 16159 jacket. I'm no expert but that would be my guess. I'm also guessing this is a depot re-dye.
Look at the leather hanger and please look into the pocket and under the pocket flap for a difference in leather color and post some photos of those areas.

Silver Surfer

1st contract rw, fer sure. redyes of this contract are not at all unusual as the jacket was made in '41, and a lot of them went back to rough wear or depots for redos. nice catch jorge. be careful with wearing it though as the redye looks "thick", and will have a propensity for flaking. also, by virtue of the name tag and patch not being dyed over, there should be no misunderstanding about the fact that they were added after the redye.

B-Man2

I don’t know enough about how to accomplish the task , however there are a few guys here who have successfully been able to removed the top coat of the re-dye material from jackets like this with beautiful results . The color of the jacket comes back close to the color of the hide that is inside of the pocket. Once again I’ve never done it, but it can be done. While it’s very tempting to consider trying it , sometimes leaving something like this, as you found it, is the best course of action.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

No, there are no plans to remove the top coat of the re-dye (that idea didn’t even cross my mind), in fact I like it as the leather has developed an amazing patina, and it’s part of the authenticity of this jacket.

Last edited:

CBI

Great finds, congrats. Re-dyed jackets are my favorite. I love the the darker color and how the undercoat begins to show through over time!!!! I have an original RW that is probably the same contract but alas like yours, no tag.