• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP! Stuck in my A-2 with very angry people "helping"!

zoomer

My ELC HLB had its grommet Kwik separate at the bottom. I was out walking around and absent-mindedly bending and folding the zip footing panels in half at the middle. Next thing I knew the teeth were parted and would not go back together.

Right now I'm stuck indoors in 3 layers of clothing, and family are insisting I NOT ask for any help in the internet!!! The zip has been pulled about 3/4 of the way UP and of course the teeth will not mesh again.

My family are angry! They really WANT to rip out the zipper! CAN ANYTHING BE DONE??? Any help appreciated!!!

Last edited:

zoomer

These people have no experience with zippers and they're fighting ME and each other!

They finally made me pull the slider to pieces and pull out teeth.

No one would stop yelling and fussing unless I did!

So I'm out. But GOD DAMN!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:(

Last edited:

zoomer

It's funny Burt, until you realize how serious these people were!!!
They're still INSISTING the slider had to be busted out!
When I reached for my laptop to look it up, they SCREAMED!

I have now destroyed my FOURTH metal-anchored zipper in 10 years!
Each time - the same thing happened for a different reason, in a different way!
There was NO way to know WHAT NOT TO DO!
It feels like wrecking a goddam airplane!!!

I'm mad as hell!!!!!

Last edited:

B-Man2

Sorry to hear about the zip but that can be fixed as you already know, but one picture would have been worth a thousand words;););)

Silver Surfer

bust up the puller? tore out teeth? you are in deep shit. send it back to gary for a zipper replacement, period. in the future, and it has happened to me, wriggle out of the jacket [ya may need the help of someone not your maniac family, to pull it inside out over your head] take a breath, a shot of whiskey, and have long look at the prob. remove the female side zipper stopper at the top, and then reinsert it on the female side, run it down to the bottom, and rezip up the zipper. as ya do so, look for oddities, like poor seating of the male side,, chipped or broken teeth, wobble in the zipper, puller irregularities, etc. most of the time, if not always, the repro "hookless", and kwiks will have failure issues due to the male side not being completely inserted into the female side [lotsa fun writing that]. btw, i didnt know whether to laugh or cry when i read your post. gary will take care of it properly.

zoomer

The worst part, really, is that my family resents my wearing jackets at all, and tonight was a chance to indulge that resentment, big time.

robrinay

Next time - you could try carefully removing the top stoppers from each zipper tape and pulling the slider up and through the top. Then gently pull the zipper tapes apart from the bottom, take the jacket off and replace the slider from the top on the correct side and then replace the stoppers. I’ve never tried it on a fastened zipper but it might just work? If it wouldn’t work then risk damaging the teeth at the top (I seldom use the top section of an A2 zip), to get the slider off - then you could move the stoppers below the missing teeth and have a working zip until you’d saved up enough to have it replaced.

Ken at Aero Leather

the repro "hookless", and kwiks will have failure issues due to the male side not being completely inserted into the female side

100% Correct, we've had a few fail but every single one was user error, exactly as above, and admitted by the user.
None needed anything more than a new slider. I'm sure Gary would send a replacement slider
IMO Hookless are the best and strongest repro zipper on the market
They are, however, not idiot proof
We've has similar problems with Brits trying to get used to pullers on the US side
No zipper will stand the pin not being inserted correctly yet the crappiest zipper use properly will last a very long time, proof being the low grade Chinese "Talon" in my 19 year old A-2

Silver Surfer

hahahaahaha, this thread is some serio-comic stuff. if all of the teeth are intact, just the puller needs to be replaced. if teeth have been pulled out or become off angle loose] due to yanking and tugging, the whole zipper should be replaced. get is sorted out before elc gets into their xmas madness

B-Man2

I have a problem with the one that’s on my GW Bedford Cloth 371J . It won’t seat correctly because the jacket is relatively new and hasn’t been zipped much. I’m sure that the more the male end gets inserted into the female side both will eventually come together nicely. I’ve found that a little lubricant always helps !;)

Last edited: