• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help needed to choose a sheepskin jacket

Curahee

deeb7 said:
Curahee said:
Does somebody know the original specs for the AN-J-4 ? there is very little known about this jacket even finding some good pictures of it is dificult. The ones I did find showed all Talons .....

From the book Full Gear, there were four AN-J-4 contracts ... Aero, Arnoff Shoe Co, and two by Poughkeepsie.

There were also four versions of the jacket, as it evolved during 1943-1944. The first two versions have a waistband, versions 3, and 4 have the shorter zipper with 2 snaps.

The photographs show a version 1 Arnoff jacket with Conmar, and Poughkeepsie with Kwik ... all Poughkeepsie were version 4.

So, can I conclude than that Gary is right on the zipper ? (although a Talon seems more likely)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Curahee said:
So, can I conclude than that Gary is right on the zipper ? (although a Talon seems more likely)

Well no ........

Our ANJ-4 is a perfect reproduction of the original 1st model spec.

As far as we know, version 1 only came with a Talon (Aero), or a Conmar (Arnoff).

Cliff

Actually I am not sure even Gary knows what ANJ4 he is producing. Below is product info from their UK ELC site and then from their USA HPA site. One says they are producing the "first model spec" the other says they have produced a "later version" . Unless they are making two different jackets one for the US and one for the UK which is unlikely. I pointed this out to ELC a few years ago but they never changed it.

[size=85]ELC UK Site
However, even during its relatively short life span, it still managed to go through a couple of minor spec changes. The first version (pictured left, and the version we produce), had press studs for the pocket flap fastenings, and a front zip that ran the full length of the jacket. After this version came these two changes:
Spec change 1 The pocket flap fastenings were changed to buttons.
Zip was shortened to end about 3 inches before the bottom and 2
buttons added beneath it.
Spec change 2 A triangular leather patch was sewn to the left breast. This was for attaching the crocodile clip of the oxygen mask, when not in use.
Our ANJ-4, like the B-3, is made from the correct North American sheepskin stock, and is dyed and finished in the same way and colour. It is the ultimate of all sheepskin flying jackets - no expense has been spared in its construction.

The design features the addition of extensive hide facings, giving added strength and durability to just about every conceivable area wear might occur. The hide trim on the ANJ-4 comes in Seal brown Horsehide only.
Every seam is double top stitched for extra durability. To enable freer movement the under arms have hide gussets, which are lined in satin. The two practical front patch pockets are also lined with satin.

Our ANJ-4 is a perfect reproduction of the original 1st model spec.

HPA Website
Early versions of this jacket featured button-flap pockets, a two-button tab at the bottom of the zipper flap and button-down throat latch. Buttons were later replaced with press studs, as the buttons broke more easily and were more difficult to manipulate while wearing heavy flying gloves. The AN-J-4 was the most durable and comfortable of sheepskin flying jackets and no expense was spared in its construction, making this the omega of its type. Extensive horsehide reinforcements are everywhere, and each seam is double-stitched on top; both features providing added strength and durability to virtually any area wear might occur.

Eastman has reproduced a later version of this jacket style, largely due to the improved features found on these over the earlier versions. Crafted from the same color and weight sheepskin as our B-3 jacket, the collar is larger than on a B-3 jacket, with a wide, snap-down throat latch for extra insulation. Other features include: masterful copy of the super-desirable wartime CROWN® zipper, wool wristlets inside the cuff to keep out drafts, rayon satin lining inside pockets and arm gussets, ventilated arm gussets, waist adjuster belts, seal brown horsehide reinforcements on collar back, cuffs, waist, arms, zipper, arm gussets and wind flap, snap-down pocket flaps, authentic woven label, and one-piece back to ensure the minimum amount of stress in this area. The definitive copy of the most perfect sheepskin flying jacket in the AAF flying clothing inventory; you won’t wear this one out![/size]

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Cliff said:
Actually I am not sure even Gary knows what ANJ4 he is producing.

It's HPA that are confused on this one, Eastman's description is correct.

Well apart from the Crown zipper ... :)

Curahee

deeb7 said:
Curahee said:
Does somebody know the original specs for the AN-J-4 ? there is very little known about this jacket even finding some good pictures of it is dificult. The ones I did find showed all Talons .....

From the book Full Gear, there were four AN-J-4 contracts ... Aero, Arnoff Shoe Co, and two by Poughkeepsie.

There were also four versions of the jacket, as it evolved during 1943-1944. The first two versions have a waistband, versions 3, and 4 have the shorter zipper with 2 snaps.

The photographs show a version 1 Arnoff jacket with Conmar, and Poughkeepsie with Kwik ... all Poughkeepsie were version 4.

I think you forgot Willis & Geiger, Fried Osterman and on the site of LW J.A. Dubow is also mentioned.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Curahee said:
I think you forgot Willis & Geiger, Fried Osterman and on the site of LW J.A. Dubow is also mentioned.

If you want to include the M444, and M445 contracts, there are these, and other makers.

But not Dubow ...... LW seems to have the rights to the Dubow name, and are generous with its application.

Hey Curahee, love your ANJ -4 , do you have any pics with it worn in yet ?

I've just ordered a new one from Eastman and I'd love to see what they look like with a bit of wear on

Curahee

johnny english said:
Hey Curahee, love your ANJ -4 , do you have any pics with it worn in yet ?

I've just ordered a new one from Eastman and I'd love to see what they look like with a bit of wear on

Not yet, but I got mine out of the mothballs last friday, perfect ANJ-4 weather here (hail, snow, 0 Celcius and very strong winds (same as in England?) but I will try to shoot a few soon
Love mine, very tough jacket and very comfy to wear. The horsehide facings are very stiff at first and difficult to break in, same recepy as other jackets but then twice the effort :oops:

BTW although I bought mine last year november it looks a lot like the newer version with the
"broken grain" hide

Glad you're enjoying your ANJ 4 Curahee, I'm looking forward to seeing some pics.

Does it have the warhorse leather facings on the arms ?
Is it as bulky as a B3 ?

Curahee

johnny english said:
Glad you're enjoying your ANJ 4 Curahee, I'm looking forward to seeing some pics.

Does it have the warhorse leather facings on the arms ?
Is it as bulky as a B3 ?

I would say less bulky (not much) and the HH facings are not the "Warhorse" type. Judging from the pics on the Eastman website "the new and improved"
ANJ-4 doesn't seem to have them either.

Curahee

Johny,

As promised the pics of my ANJ-4 after one year. I do want to point out that I wore it only maybe for 5 weeks
in total (including the last couple of days) somehow I grab my B-10 more often.

During the weekend we had icy winds/showers/snow and hail, then this is simply best jacket to have on your back.

november2008.jpg

november20085.jpg

new out of the box 1 year ago

ANJ-4026-1.jpg

today

schade21-11-08015.jpg

new out of the box

ANJ-4027-1.jpg

today

november20083.jpg

november20084.jpg
november20087.jpg

Besides the quality and looks (and ELC workmanship), I find it a very well designed and pracitcal jacket and built
to last a lifetime. A shame the real winters are getting rarer and rarer here (Netherlands) :x

That looks great Curahee, I love the colours and it's wearing in nicely.

I agree it looks a very pratical Jacket and hopefully won't induce as many Biggles comments from the ignorants at work.
I've been wearing my B6 to work for the last couple of days and have had some classic comments, such as " Bomber Harris" and " is that an Irving " :lol:

Can't wait to get mine , winter's setting in here now with a few frosty mornings and even some snow up north.
Alan said they were hoping to ship it today or tommorow and Gary has advised that the leather facings are Warhorse. Allthough fom the pics on the ELc website it looks quite smooth

Curahee

Yeah, the leather does look smooth (like mine at first) but it will rough out I quess. I don't mind, when it comes to A-2's everybody hates the idea of broken in leather and on the ANJ-4 .....well anyways I'm happy
with my jacket and I'm sure you will be too.