• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help needed to choose a sheepskin jacket

Hi there!

My wife (!) and I got very interested in sheepskin flying jackets after a visit to Duxford this weekend.

Could anyone help me with those different models, Irvin, B-3, B-6?

What are their advantages/disadvantages compared to each other?

Which jacket would be:
- The most comfortable and warm to wear?

- The most suitable for layering (to be used in almost arctic conditions sometimes)?

- The most suitable for "unisex" usage (as my wife would like to get one too, and doesn't want to look too manly and bulky)?

- And off course most confortable to wear when flying/driving car?

Thanks in prehand!
/S_P

MikeyB-17

Hmmm, tough one. As usual, comes down to personal taste. Did you try any on at Duxford? (I assume you must have been on Eastman's stand? That would have been the ideal opportunity to make comparisons)) B-3's, Irvins, ANJ-4's and M-445's are heavy sheepskin jackets-best for warmth, but not everyone finds them that comfortable due to their bulk (although I always found my Aero B-3 pretty comfortable). I can't speak from personal experience, but I would guess the Navy sheepskins (M-445/ANJ-4/M-444) would be more comfortable due to their more elaborate construction with bi-swing backs and underarm gussets etc. (The M-445 and ANJ-4 are similar, although the ANJ-4 isn't technically a Navy jacket). B-6's, D-1's and M-444's are slightly lighter weight sheepskin-I know several here swear by their B-6's, although personally the back doesn't do it for me. Irvins have no pockets, which may or may not be a problem, although I have seen pictures of ladies in Irvins who don't look excessively bulky. If I was looking for another sheepskin jacket, I'd probably look at one of the lighter ones-the D-1 would probably be my choice, or possibly an M-444, although you may have to go to New Zealand or Japan for one of those as I don't think either of the UK manufacturers do one. Everyone here is going to have their personal favourite-it's down to you to decide which will suit you best. Hope this isn't too confusing . Good luck!

A

Anonymous

I've seen a few laydeez ( ;) ) in Irvins. They looked good IMVHO. B-3's tend to be a more military - and therefore manly - jacket. So do the Navy shearlings.

Although I personally wouldn't go for the his 'n' hers matching jackets. Too Stepford ! Grab yourself a great Eastman B-3 in a 46 chest and then, when you don't want it, get in touch and I'll take ot off your hands for a song ! Get the missus an Irvin.

Glad to be of service ! :D

J_H

Peter Graham

For practical use I would suggest something with decent pockets which means a US Navy shearling, a D-1, a B-6 or an AN-J-4.

Geir

I think the Irvin is the most comfortable, but if you're like most people you'll end up with several jackets. I once thought I just wanted one sheepskin jacket. Now I have 5, one of which I haven't worn yet because it arrived in the spring, and now number 6 is on its way.

John Lever

Beware, sheepskins are heavy and cumbersome to wear in all but the coldest conditions.
Ones with pockets are the most practical. Jackets like this type usually show a minimum of wool around the cuffs and waistband, so are less conspicuous and will result in less baiting such as ' where's your Spitfire mate ? '
Both Eastman and Aero make D-1' and B-6 jackets.
B-3's and Irvin's typically have a fleece length of 18 mm. or 3/4 in. D-1 and B-6 jackets are closer to 6 to 10 mm and are more wearable.
If you are planning to be active out in very cold weather then down or synthetics are probably better. But of course much less stylish.

tgd31968

I have seen pictures of WAAC's wearing b-6's and A-2's and D-1's but not a b-3. I guess that they felt that they were more unisex back then too. I can picture a woman in a nice, tight Irvin with that sexy waist belt too, but it would be pretty warm unless you live in a -30 F environment.

I did a poll before I ordered my jacket, and the consensus was that the b-3 was too heavy for everyday wear in most climates. The b-6 and d-1 weight sheep was more practical, and can always be layered if it gets too cold. You can't make a b-3 or Irvin cooler.

Since I really wanted the b-3 style but more wearable, I ordered a B-3 from Aero Leather made with the lighter weight b-6 sheepskin. It is due at the end of this month. So, don't think you are locked into one style or the other because of the weight of the sheepskin. You are the customer, and with what these things cost, get it the way YOU want it.

Thank you all for your comments!
They've been a great aid!

We would like to order now but the thing is that we're expecting a child- it's half-way gone right now.

My wife normally wears medium sized jackets. If ordering a medium sized Irvin, would the stomach (which will be bigger) fit under the jacket, or are the Irvins trim and tight jackets?

We are looking at Aero's Irvin, and they require the stomach measurement (when sizing).

/S_P

Jason

I would have to agree, the Irvin style looks best on the ladies. And with my "less is more" tendancies, I love the Irvin too.
If the sheepskin thickness is a problem, then consider the WPG repro Irvin. The sheepskin isn't quite as dense, and about 1/2 to 2/3rds as long as the real thing, so it is more comfortable to wear and yet still quite warm. I don't usually wear any layering underneath my sheepskin jackets, just a light shirt, so it doesn't have to be super cold outside for me to enjoy wearing a heavy jacket at all.

If your lady has a bubby on the way, I'd say hold off buying something until a few months after the birth... pretty much all of the military style sheepskin jackets are trim fitting, and you'll find the only way they could be worn anywhere after, say, 3 months is with the jacket unzipped.

Can't say much about the other style jackets, I've only had the Irvin and a B-3. I'd love to try a M444 or ANJ-4 next though!

rich

Hi S_P

I have an original Irvin and if the replica is authentic, I reckon it's going to be quite trim. Nobody's mentioned this but in my experience the collar stands up quickly and stays there on the Irvin, while the straps and buckles on the B3 collar seem to make this less easy, wonder if anyone else finds this? All that aside, many congratulations to you on the really big news!

Geir

I have an Aero prewar Irvin that I bought from their sales page about three years ago. It is a size 44 and is a trim fit around the waist (at least on me). The body is also quite short so it does not quite overlap my belt. The coating of the sheepskin is rather shiny and it tends to flake on areas exposed to wear. On the whole I would recommend an Eastman since the price is about the same.

Tim P

To add my take on it all, I love my Real Mccoys B-3 but it's bulk limits it's useability.
I am a bigger fan of the B-6 and I tell you why, to start with despite being of true vintage cut it is of a slightly more contemporary appearence and so can be worn in a wider range of circumstances.
The collar is far neater than the shoulder width monstrosity on the B-3 and most of the Navy contracted jackets. The lighter weight enables layering which can be very useful for a lady or a bloke I suppose. This means warmth without bulk but an effective outer layer which can be augmented or reduced as conditions dictate.
The cut is neater than many jackets and the Bi-swing back (not to everyones taste) enables a range of movement which is not possible in similarly sized heavier jackets. the similar D-1 lacks this feature but is square and boxy looking compared to the hip length B-6 which appears altogehter trimmer and hence more flattering.
The two internal pockets are roomy which wins out over the B-3 and the Irvin. They do not have zips to scrape the backs of your hands and so are more comfortable than the D-1 and they are efferctive handwarmer pockets which can carry stuff without spoiling the line of the jacket, something that the flat patch pockets of navy jackets cannot provide.
the jackets can be aquired in seal brown or redskin (if you are minted.)
there is no belt at the bottom to flap about when unfastened or force you to fasten it when you may not want to as found on the irvin.
all in all it is the best looking and most versatile of the shearling jackets.
I wish you well in your choices (if you are hell bent on a B-3 or an Irvin, dont forget that what price glory ones are quite accurate but come up a bit lighter to enable easier wear.)

Tim

Vcruiser

I wholeheartly agree with Tim.
Sold my two B3s several years ago
Here's a pic of my Aero B6 last Christmas.
I was more than comfy...tho..cold windy and snowy in HoosierLand...
Van

100_0744.jpg

Curahee

Here's my choice, the AN-J-4 from Eastman. (pic taken straight out
of the box)

ANJ-4005.jpg

It is a little bulky (espacially when new and not broken in) but it does the job, is pratical and looks stylish to boot

Hawkeye

Beautiful ANJ-4, but did they ever really have crown zips? seems like Eastman is throwing those on just about everything now, regardless of accuracy.

Curahee

I asked Gary that same question and he said that it "it is perfectly feasible, however the Talon is certainly more common" I'm OK with the crown zip, here's a nice pic for comparison of a bomber crew wearing their B-3 and AN-J's

Our-Mom-crew.jpg

Roughwear

Hawkeye said:
Beautiful ANJ-4, but did they ever really have crown zips? seems like Eastman is throwing those on just about everything now, regardless of accuracy.

All the An-J-4s I have seen had Talon zips. It would interesting to see one with a Crown that is not an ELC repro.

Curahee

Does somebody know the original specs for the AN-J-4 ? there is very little known about this jacket even
finding some good pictures of it is dificult. The ones I did find showed all Talons :roll: On the other hand I saw
a pic of a B-3 with a Irvin zipper on it on one an older version of the forum. Besides there were also different
zips on A-2's ( Talon, Crown, Conmar, Kwik etc) so why not a Crown on an AN-J-4 ?

Peter Graham

I would imagine when Gary Eastman said that it was "perfectly feasable" for an AN-J-4 to have a Crown zipper, it was in the same vein that he said it was "perfectly feasable" for Roughwear to have made a B-6.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Curahee said:
Does somebody know the original specs for the AN-J-4 ? there is very little known about this jacket even finding some good pictures of it is dificult. The ones I did find showed all Talons .....

From the book Full Gear, there were four AN-J-4 contracts ... Aero, Arnoff Shoe Co, and two by Poughkeepsie.

There were also four versions of the jacket, as it evolved during 1943-1944. The first two versions have a waistband, versions 3, and 4 have the shorter zipper with 2 snaps.

The photographs show a version 1 Arnoff jacket with Conmar, and Poughkeepsie with Kwik ... all Poughkeepsie were version 4.