• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me decide between Aero and Eastman Leather sheepskin

I'm struggling trying to decide who to go with .

I am looking to get a flying jacket and to decide between,

either the pre war models
https://www.eastmanleather.com/raf-1940-pattern-battle-of-britain-p-157.html
or
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=106

or between the later B.O.B models
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=105
or
https://www.eastmanleather.com/raf-1942-pattern-p-158.html

From the online images they look very similar though the Eastmean Leather looks like. a more 'suede-ish' finish and less shiny (which I imagine would break in more easily ( shape to my body) but to be less wet weather tolerant in the long run.

I think I read that the EM ones now have hand warmer pockets ( I could be wrong) where the Aero don't and won't ( I have asked.) Pockets isn't a deal breaker but I did find them useful on my Currus flying jacket (sadly dead)

why are the EM ones the best part of £100, more expensive?

all thoughts much appreciated
thanks

Steve27752

Some of it is personal preference and some down to cost.
I have had jackets from both manufacturers personally, I prefer Eastman (They do not have pockets) Aero's are also good. .
Aero's BoB jacket is not BoB it is a later pattern.

Smithy

I'm probably biased but I have an ELC (Eastman) 1940 Pattern Irvin which I absolutely love and that 's my pick. It's 10 years old now and looks terrific (IMHO). It was never a suede-ish finish and in no ways matt. If you're judging the finish from the pics on ELC's site, I wouldn't as they look over exposed which gives that effect. TBH the photos on the ELC site are a bit shit if we're blatantly honest.

Aero redid their patterns a few years back and they are much, much better, the arms especially are the correct "bell" shape and not tubular. And the fleece they're using is streets ahead of the teddybear stuff they used to use. I've never handled a new one, only saw the old variety but the new offerings look great.

At the end of the day it really comes down to what you like and can afford. These fellas have really shot up in price over the last few years and are a serious investment so take your time and if you can see them in the flesh.

If you're feeling very flush there's Aces High if he's still making them (an English chap living in France (Jon I think?) and is a one man band. Very expensive but very accurate.

Best of luck with the hunt,

Tim

Roughwear

It really depends what you want. Aero have improved the patterns of their Irvins recently and they are now much closer to WW2 designs. The most desirable jackets are the two panels ones and Eastman's BoB pattern is an accurate repro with robust zips. Their broken grain skin is very close to original sheepskin. They are expensive and you may do better to buy a well preserved original Irvin for the same money.

Thanks for all your replies.
Money is not really thee issue - I was just curious as to why the difference.
I am pretty taken with the Eastman BOB model.
One more question as to sizing:
I am 6foot and reasonably slim for a 65 yr old, at least I was until I asked my wife to measure my waist. She measured 39"! My trousers are 35" waist and so that's what I'm sticking to!

- seriously though one problem I do get with a lot of jackets is under arm (armpit) room. The combination of round shoulders and a history of rowing ( as a sport) means I need more room than average across my back and often find myself feeling restricted under the arms. Im not huge, far from it, but I hate tight under arms - can anyone with the Eastman jacket comment on the cut?
thanks again

Smithy

Sizing-wise at 6' you'll need at least a long size which adds an extra inch to the body and sleeves. I'm 6'2'' and went for the extra long which adds an extra inch and a half to the body and sleeves.

BTW if you go for the ELC my other advice would be to go up one size from your suit size. So if you're a 40 get your ELC Irvin in size 42. If you do this you will not have any trouble with restriction across the back nor under the arms, and you'll also have room for a jumper.

Irvins should not be form-fitting, they were designed to be worn over SD/BD, jumpers etc and they look much better for it.

I'll try and take some snaps of mine tomorrow for you, maybe even with me in it if I'm not feeling shy!

Sizing-wise at 6' you'll need at least a long size which adds an extra inch to the body and sleeves. I'm 6'2'' and went for the extra long which adds an extra inch and a half to the body and sleeves.

BTW if you go for the ELC my other advice would be to go up one size from your suit size. So if you're a 40 get your ELC Irvin in size 42. If you do this you will not have any trouble with restriction across the back nor under the arms, and you'll also have room for a jumper.

Irvins should not be form-fitting, they were designed to be worn over SD/BD, jumpers etc and they look much better for it.

I'll try and take some snaps of mine tomorrow for you, maybe even with me in it if I'm not feeling shy!
thatnwould be great thanks
Yes I think my Cirrus was large enough to Geta. decent jumper under though sometimes a bit draughty at the waist if I didn't do the belt up

I think a 46" will be too large, it usually is, 43" is my usual chest measurement but I need to redo as Ive put weight on this last year

I was just looking for pics with my last FJ and looking at it perhaps it was a size larger than I remember as it looks fairly roomy in these: (sorry about the image quality). I think in the last pic I am also wearing a heavyweight double-knit jumper. Glad I found these as I don't remember it that big but it was about ten years ago and my memory isn't what it was....lol

(sorry
IMG_0110.jpg
IMG_0082.jpg
_MG_0052.jpg

B-Man2

Simon King
That's a good size for you as you want them just a tad large.

Steve
Good looking jacket with a great fit!

Simon King
That's a good size for you as you want them just a tad large
thanks but Ive lost track - dod you mean 46" would be a good size?
Ive looked the EL sizing chart and for 12 and a half stone and 6' with 43.5 chest it recommends 44" regular. All advice appreciated

Steve ....that looks great..Im' sold- thanks!! - what does 95/96 mean-the year you bought it? (sorry if thats really dumb)

One thing Im concerned about is te underarm space- my previous jacket had an extra (leather) gussett inserted by Cirrus to accommodate.

I guess I'll just have to try one on for size- does anyone know whether EL can add a gusset in the same way (once I have accepted the jacket)

Last edited:

Dubpynchon

whats wrong with the fit of yours do you mind me asking ( wanting to avoid any pitfalls)
I think it’s a long version, I picked it up in the buy/sell here and should have studied the measurements more carefully. It’s one size above my normal size as it should be but it’s too long, especially in the sleeves. I’m 5’11 for reference. Unless you’re around 6’1 or above I’d go with regular.

Last edited:

Steve27752

thanks but Ive lost track - dod you mean 46" would be a good size?
Ive looked the EL sizing chart and for 12 and a half stone and 6' with 43.5 chest it recommends 44" regular. All advice appreciated

Steve ....that looks great..Im' sold- thanks!! - what does 95/96 mean-the year you bought it? (sorry if thats really dumb)

One thing Im concerned about is te underarm space- my previous jacket had an extra (leather) gussett inserted by Cirrus to accommodate.

I guess I'll just have to try one on for size- does anyone know whether EL can add a gusset in the same way (once I have accepted the jacket)
I bought it previously owned, but unworn...........When I showed it to Gary and Rob at ELC, they dated it as a 1995/96 jacket.

I bought it previously owned, but unworn...........When I showed it to Gary and Rob at ELC, they dated it as a 1995/96 jacket.
ah OK -how the blazes could they tell one wonders?
I think it’s a long version, I picked it up in the buy/sell here and should have studied the measurements more carefully. It’s one size above my normal size as it should be but it’s too long, especially in the sleeves. I’m 5’11 for reference. Unless you’re around 6’1 or above I’d go with regular.
I see- OK thanks
I'm 6' dead ( standing up straight), got long arms though from hanging round trees a lot when young
;)
lol
:D

blackrat2

Hi

A hard choice and one I am pondering about currently
John Lever posted a review on Aeros offering in the review section if my memory serves me right...like Andrew he is a font of knowledge on Irvins, so see what he has to say
Weirdly I love more panels on Irvins
Does anyone know if Eastman still have those little plastic bits on there zippers?

John Lever

Don't go selling that jacket now Joe