• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help maintaining/mending a 1970s G-1 flight jacket

Hi_im_new_here

Hi, I recently bought a 1971 variant brill bros G-1 flight jacket for about £27, it is in surprisingly good condition with only a small hole in the cuff which I have mended and a pocket button was missing, I have taken a button from the collar and sewn it to the pocket as the collar is less visible. I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a replacement button. The jacket also has a strong tobacco smell but I’m not sure what to do to wash it, any help will be much appreciated. Thank you
image.jpg

Here is a photo of the button, it has a diameter of 19mm and the rim is 2mm

busdrivermike

Couple things I heard from a costume company and an old farmers wife
Clean the liner first as that tends to hold smells , turn the jacket inside out place it on a hanger spritz the liner
With vodka use a spray bottle that produces a mist not a stream , it kills bacteria and dries odorless , when it evaporates so the stink.
Just shake or lightly brush off the liner when dry
Or
Place the jacket in the dryer. 6 or more dryer sheets start with the ones for sensitive skin as they have less fragrance with 3 or more brand new tennis balls, then turn the dryer on low or no heat for 45 minutes (May have to be ran twice). to knock the smell out of it. You can wrap the dryer sheets on the tennis balls , you can do the jacket inside out first as the liner tends to hold the smell

some recommended putting in the freezer, for a few days or hanging outside, inside out and right side out for a few days

or if you have access to an ozone machine and a sealed box, but you gotta be sure to follow the safety information

Last edited:

B-Man2

You can sometimes find the buttons for a G-1 on EBay . Regarding the smell , I would not wash the jacket , it will cause shrinkage if you don’t do it properly . Try Fabreze odor eliminator spray and leave it outside in the air and sun . Over time lots of time it will dissipate and go away . Welcome to the forum !!