• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ID'ing this Harley Davidson police jacket?

Richard Cuellar

I impulse bought this cool center-zip Harley jacket. Its a 46R and will probably be too big for me, I wear a 44R, but it was a steal ($86+free shipping) so I thought Id take the chance that it maybe, possibly might fit! Ive never seen an AMF jacket in this style anywhere. It has brass zippers and buttons, X-stitching on the epaulets, which Ive never seen on any other vintage Harley jacket. Judging from the badge grommet holes, it may have been a police coat. Anyone have any info on this jacket?
Cjj7kLd.jpg

fn6OOEK.jpg

Qer7e9v.jpg

YYJWzs0.jpg

de7t4L9.jpg

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

Hell of a jacket, and a good price too! I’m no expert, but a quick Google has revealed that that’s the classic California Highway Patrol design-Lost Worlds make one very similar. I believe the design dates from the ‘40’s, but I imagine this is much later. Hope you’re lucky and it fits!

robrinay

Well, as mentioned above it’s a CHP - California Highway Patrol Style. Aero used to make this style and perhaps still do and so do other high value makers? Jackets made during the AMF era - when AMF owned Harley Davidson, are sometimes seen to be less desirable than ‘true’ Harley Davidson jackets. This is I suspect largely to do with the perceived drop in quality of their motorbikes during that period. I’m not qualified to comment on this as I’ve nothing to go on other than what I’ve read and I’m not sure that there was an actual drop in quality in their leather jackets during that time. The AMF jackets are usually labelled as such - I had one with AMF printed on each side of the hanger label just before and just after Harley Davidson and it was a well made jacket but it didn’t sell for as much as the same style without the AMF. If you Google AMF and Harley Davidson you’ll pick up the story. As for who made their jackets - I’ve read that various manufacturers made Harley jackets including Schott NYC.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Ken
That Aero CHP is one bad ass motorcycle jacket.
In my younger days I was a motorcycle officer riding the old FLH's that you had to retard the spark on the handle bar switch before you could kick start it. ( Reaching waaaayy back here) no electric starters like they have today. I will tell you that if I had been issued one of your CHP jackets I would have thought about staying on that job or at least considered taking the jacket with me when I left.:)

Richard Cuellar

Ken
That Aero CHP is one bad ass motorcycle jacket.
In my younger days I was a motorcycle officer riding the old FLH's that you had to retard the spark on the handle bar switch before you could kick start it. ( Reaching waaaayy back here) no electric starters like they have today. I will tell you that if I had been issued one of your CHP jackets I would have thought about staying on that job or at least considered taking the jacket with me when I left.:)
I love to see some pix from your bike officer days!

robrinay

Wow, The Aero version is beautiful.
They are - and they last - here’s mine an early one in Connelly Steerhide with the original Ailee zip. It’s recently had a well deserved re-line up at Aero.
Robert Brian Naylor (robrinay)

Attachments

• EC2F92F4-F4F3-458B-9A85-D0A6C6F806C2.jpeg
    EC2F92F4-F4F3-458B-9A85-D0A6C6F806C2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 447
  • 4FE0F727-7FBC-41F9-B0E0-AFF38FA47FF0.jpeg
    4FE0F727-7FBC-41F9-B0E0-AFF38FA47FF0.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 470

Richard Cuellar

They are - and they last - here’s mine an early one in Connelly Steerhide with the original Ailee zip. It’s recently had a well deserved re-line up at Aero.
Robert Brian Naylor (robrinay)
Gorgeous. Im half-tempted to sell my padded goat Langlitz and get an Aero!

Richard Cuellar

Well, I got the jacket in the mail and, alas, its a bit too big for me): It seems to be a true 46R. Im truly bummed because its a GREAT jacket. The leather is very thick, like my Langlitz. It's way better quality than my buddys Harley Cycle Champ jacket. Plus, I love the center zip CHP style. Oh well, bummer. Here's some better pix if anyones interested.
SYoEBJZ.jpg

ABBSHq1.jpg

KXgX5RY.jpg

nhpsext.jpg

Z11Ykci.jpg

nCjiqdC.jpg