• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help IDing an original A2.

Flash Badger

hi gents. I’ve had a light on the patches and thread and there is no tell-tale glow and all the patches are unmerrowed which I think checks out. The contract number worries me as, like you guys say, why sew one on that’s not right. I suppose I could take it off and look for evidence of a previous patch being taken off. Would he contract patch be removed if the jacket was sold on to retail distributor after the war?

Any idea of the manufacturer?
Garry

Flash Badger

Ps What suggests the patches are a later addition? They do look a little fresh when you compare it to hide on the jacket.
Garry

Southoftheborder

Ps What suggests the patches are a later addition? They do look a little fresh when you compare it to hide on the jacket.
Garry

Just that. They look much less old and unworn. You could take off the label and look for the sewing marks of another one. Assuming it is the original lining which judging from the wear on the shell it might not be. I think the post war civilian versions of A2s, often made by the same makers as the issued ones sometimes had slightly bigger labels.

I am not an expert on A2s but I have bought a lot of post war US jackets over the decades and I would not buy this as an issued WW2 jacket. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Flash Badger

I think I’m with you on this South. There’s too many oddities with this jacket so I think I’ll return it. The trader wants $1500 Australian for it and I’m not prepared to part with that kind of money for a jacket which may or may not be the real thing.

thanks for your assistance all.

Garry

Micawber

The jacket itself is one thing, but the label and patches make me suspicious of the motives and asking price. A standard plain Jane with a bonafide label and standard presentation would be where my money would go.

mulceber

The jacket itself is one thing, but the label and patches make me suspicious of the motives and asking price. A standard plain Jane with a bonafide label and standard presentation would be where my money would go.

And if you hang around here for a while, you’ll likely find just such a jacket from a buyer you can trust. Size 40 shouldn’t be too hard to find.

foster

UV or black light should pick up any man made thread in the patch stitching.

This is not entirely true, as UV only detects thread which was dyed UV (a frequent feature of present or formerly white threads and fabrics) or those with certain synthetic polymer content that responds to UV light. 100% cotton thread is still made, and is not always dyed in such a fashion that will cause it to show up with a black light.

Back to the jacket - the Conmar zipper along with the other details have put me into the "civilian private purchase jacket" camp. But the incorrect label moves me to CODE RED territory.

Flash Badger

So as a matter of intrest, as just a private purchase, without patches and any of the other items and alleged hostory which comes with the jacket, what sort of ball bark figure would it be worth?

33-1729

Ignoring the added label/patch deception and that no one on this site has identified it as a noteworthy or valued manufacturer then, probably, not too much. Certainly much less than 1500AUD.

I’d recommend checking this site for your next purchase. Lots of knowledge from the members to pull from (I certainly do) and they sell pretty nice stuff now and then.