• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying vintage leather jacket...

Micawber

...............and here was me thinking we stopped using "The Edinburgh Landlady" welcome to new members? "You'll have had your tea?"
When will we EVER learn?
25b
Did your jacket ever have a zip out lining? If so there will be a zipper tucked into the internal facing?

"You'll have had your tea" also as often heard by Hamish & Dougal (Barry Cryer & Graeme Garden) on Sorry I Haven't A Clue....

25b

Ok, I’ve looked at it closer...the main zip and two sleeve zips are Talon...main zip has a long, bar type pull. Sleeve zips have bell shaped pulls. The outerpocket zips have a ball/chain pull...can’t tell what manufacturer.

The side zips were apparently added at some point after manufacture. Those zips are Conmar.

The entire jacket needs to be cleaned and I need to restitch several areas. I’m able to saddle stitch if necessary, but I also have appropriate sewing machines which I can use anywhere from v69 to v207 thread. Probably would be more precise to saddle stitch by hand though.

The liner does not zip out. It is quite grungy though. The whole thing needs a good cleaning, but I’m not sure where I could have it safely cleaned...I’m sure the dry cleaners probably wouldn’t be the best bet. I’ve read many, many threads about the pros and cons of machine washing leather jackets, but I wouldn’t be comfortable doing that with a jacket in this condition/this old. The top finish has sort of worn through in some areas. The side gussets where the side zips are need to be reinforced too.

Anyway, thanks to the folks that have kindly replied...I appreciate your insightful comments.

B-Man2

Ok, I’ve looked at it closer...the main zip and two sleeve zips are Talon...main zip has a long, bar type pull. Sleeve zips have bell shaped pulls. The outerpocket zips have a ball/chain pull...can’t tell what manufacturer.

The side zips were apparently added at some point after manufacture. Those zips are Conmar.

The entire jacket needs to be cleaned and I need to restitch several areas. I’m able to saddle stitch if necessary, but I also have appropriate sewing machines which I can use anywhere from v69 to v207 thread. Probably would be more precise to saddle stitch by hand though.

The liner does not zip out. It is quite grungy though. The whole thing needs a good cleaning, but I’m not sure where I could have it safely cleaned...I’m sure the dry cleaners probably wouldn’t be the best bet. I’ve read many, many threads about the pros and cons of machine washing leather jackets, but I wouldn’t be comfortable doing that with a jacket in this condition/this old. The top finish has sort of worn through in some areas. The side gussets where the side zips are need to be reinforced too.

Anyway, thanks to the folks that have kindly replied...I appreciate your insightful comments.
Try giving the jacket a light coat of Pecards Leather Conditioner. It will bring the surface back to life , but keep the application light. When you’re done with it all, post a picture so we can see the final result.

Reactions: 25b

Southoftheborder

You can wash it by hand in a bath and that will be more gentle. Use a wool soap product and just agitate it and push it around in warm to hot water that isn't too hot to get your hands in. Be careful how you lift it out when it's sodden though. Dry it flat on a towel for a few days and turn it a couple of times until it's only damp before hanging it up to finish drying. Then condition it when dry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 25b