• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying vintage leather jacket...

25b

Trying this again, hopefully without a certain person on here trying to insinuate I’m a criminal or something and calling my posts “fishy” for simply requesting help identifying a jacket...must have some kind of miserable life if you get your jollies trying to harass new forum members for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Anyway, as I was saying before.....I recently purchased this beautiful vintage jacket, but I don’t know who made it or how old it is. I’ve tried researching various clues from the jacket on here and also in thefedoralounge.com (and google, etc.), but cannot find anything similar to it.

It has some fairly long side zips and a chain type hanger. Label says “genuine steer hide”.

I am not gathering information on it for any reason other that actually wanting to know more about it. I plan on keeping and wearing the jacket, so I’d appreciate any insight on it that anyone might offer. Thank you!

D306F992-7D23-4530-9570-23674F052F63.jpeg
568EA70F-FD14-438D-8ADE-4AE527ACB4DB.jpeg
45D3159F-ECAB-44A5-A9E4-70B88C425BCB.jpeg
3681A437-BA00-47EB-BB0F-3463F354FFE4.jpeg
7662F69C-9FA7-4350-984A-F5F4B3E18A88.jpeg
2701F78A-1C5C-490C-A049-382337293D64.jpeg

B-Man2

Hello
Your jacket is known as a “Cafe Racer” type motorcycle jacket that became popular in the 60 and 70’s and the style is still sold and worn today. They were made by so many different companies that unless there are some other tags in the pocket or linning it would be difficult to pin point the maker. If you take a picture of the zippers and any name on the zippers it may help in identifying the country where it was made. Also look for markings on the snaps. All of that would help us.
Now on the other subject of asking you to tell us about yourself. This is normal, we ask new members to do that so that we can welcome them, not because we’re conducting a background check on you. If you have any doubt simply look at others who have told us about themselves and you will see that it is our way of welcoming new members to our forum and learning a little about their hobbies and likes because we often have the same things in common. So take a deep breath and read some of the other welcomes and I will say my welcome to you now. Welcome to VLJ good to have you aboard . I’m B-Man2.
Cheers

robrinay

As said above - lots of makers for this ‘cafe racer’ style of jacket. I’ve seen Lesco cafe racers with zippers at the back but only half the length of those on your jacket. Close ups of the zippers - puller and stopper box will help us to date it and suggest who made it.

Reactions: 25b

Smithy

Don't get bent out of shape. Sometimes intent and tone get lost on the interweb because it's just type with the occasional silly smiley face. Generally the guys on here are a good bunch and happy to help.

The big focus on here is military jackets but there's quite a few members who are into the civvy stuff as well. As Burt posted above, your jacket is of the "cafe racer" type. Judging from the label and the font used I'd say it's most likely from the 1950s to early 1960s. I'm afraid I can't help with the maker as I'm not into these jackets but someone here (possibly Ken from Aero) will be able to help with that.

Ken at Aero Leather

...............and here was me thinking we stopped using "The Edinburgh Landlady" welcome to new members? "You'll have had your tea?"
When will we EVER learn?
25b
Did your jacket ever have a zip out lining? If so there will be a zipper tucked into the internal facing?

Steve27752

...............and here was me thinking we stopped using "The Edinburgh Landlady" welcome to new members? "You'll have had your tea?"
When will we EVER learn?
25b
Did your jacket ever have a zip out lining? If so there will be a zipper tucked into the internal facing?
Edinburgh Landlady? Had your tea? Lost me.

Ken at Aero Leather

Edinburgh landladies were famous for peering at guests from behind a half opened front door and suggesting briskly that they will have eaten before arriving (?) therefor would not be inconviencing her by expecting an evening meal

Smithy

There was a landlord at a pub I used to frequent back home with a similar sunny disposition, who 5 minutes from time, would loudly announce, "Right you can all bugger off now!"

Steve27752

There was a landlord at a pub I used to frequent back home with a similar sunny disposition, who 5 minutes from time, would loudly announce, "Right you can all bugger off now!"
Nowt wrong with that. You know where you stand.

Smithy

Nowt wrong with that. You know where you stand.

He was a crotchety old bastard and had been a wharfie so tough as old boots with a face you could have cracked walnuts on. He had a telly in the back which always had the gee-gees on and if there was a race on, you had to wait until it had finished before he'd even think of serving. He'd go absolutely apoplectic and chuck people out if they started thumping on the bar. Looking back on it he was a bit of a hoot.

B-Man2

No responses or thanks from 25b??
Seems like we’ve now overwhelmed the lad with hospitality . Some people you just can’t seem to satisfyo_O

25b

No responses or thanks from 25b??
Seems like we’ve now overwhelmed the lad with hospitality . Some people you just can’t seem to satisfyo_O

Wow. Ok, sorry — I don’t spend 22 hours a day on the computer.

I do appreciate the helpful replies. I was aware it was a cafe racer type jacket. I just hadn’t seen one like this with the long side zips. I will try to check it over and see if I can find any other identifying marks/labels/zipper markings.

I own several other leather jackets...the first one that wasn’t a junky “mall jacket” was an Indy IV made by the late Tony Nowak. Then after I returned home from deployment, I bought a Triumph bike and needed a proper jacket for riding...that’s how the current set of jackets got started.

I have a Vanson “Raid”, a Langlitz Columbia (bought secondhand — sleeves are way too long), a custom Langlitz Cascade, a custom Langlitz Crescent (being built now), and the one in this post.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Wow. Ok, sorry — I don’t spend 22 hours a day on the computer.

I do appreciate the helpful replies. I was aware it was a cafe racer type jacket. I just hadn’t seen one like this with the long side zips. I will try to check it over and see if I can find any other identifying marks/labels/zipper markings.

I own several other leather jackets...the first one that wasn’t a junky “mall jacket” was an Indy IV made by the late Tony Nowak. Then after I returned home from deployment, I bought a Triumph bike and needed a proper jacket for riding...that’s how the current set of jackets got started.

I have a Vanson “Raid”, a Langlitz Columbia (bought secondhand — arms are way too long), a custom Langlitz Cascade, a custom Langlitz Crescent (being built now), and the one in this post.

Thanks again for the help.
Well there ya go!
We do have quite a bit in common after all
My first bike was a 1966 Triumph Bonneville with twin 36 mm Amal Carbs. About the jacket check for tags or labels inside the liner , also look on the back of the main label for info.
You mentioned deployment , what branch of the service are you with.? We are all pro vets and pro service members, who would like to hear whatever you can share with us. We have active vets here as well as retired vets. Another reason we like to hear more about you. We’re not very different at all;)