Help identifying vintage leather jacket...

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by 25b, Jan 14, 2019.

1. dujardin

dujardin Well-Known Member

cool jacket

i like it

raulm1961 and 25b like this.
  2. 25b

25b New Member

Wow. Ok, sorry — I don’t spend 22 hours a day on the computer.

I do appreciate the helpful replies. I was aware it was a cafe racer type jacket. I just hadn’t seen one like this with the long side zips. I will try to check it over and see if I can find any other identifying marks/labels/zipper markings.

I own several other leather jackets...the first one that wasn’t a junky “mall jacket” was an Indy IV made by the late Tony Nowak. Then after I returned home from deployment, I bought a Triumph bike and needed a proper jacket for riding...that’s how the current set of jackets got started.

I have a Vanson “Raid”, a Langlitz Columbia (bought secondhand — sleeves are way too long), a custom Langlitz Cascade, a custom Langlitz Crescent (being built now), and the one in this post.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  3. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Well there ya go!
    We do have quite a bit in common after all
    My first bike was a 1966 Triumph Bonneville with twin 36 mm Amal Carbs. About the jacket check for tags or labels inside the liner , also look on the back of the main label for info.
    You mentioned deployment , what branch of the service are you with.? We are all pro vets and pro service members, who would like to hear whatever you can share with us. We have active vets here as well as retired vets. Another reason we like to hear more about you. We’re not very different at all;)

4. Micawber

Micawber Well-Known Member

"You'll have had your tea" also as often heard by Hamish & Dougal (Barry Cryer & Graeme Garden) on Sorry I Haven't A Clue....

5. 25b

25b New Member

Ok, I’ve looked at it closer...the main zip and two sleeve zips are Talon...main zip has a long, bar type pull. Sleeve zips have bell shaped pulls. The outerpocket zips have a ball/chain pull...can’t tell what manufacturer.

The side zips were apparently added at some point after manufacture. Those zips are Conmar.

The entire jacket needs to be cleaned and I need to restitch several areas. I’m able to saddle stitch if necessary, but I also have appropriate sewing machines which I can use anywhere from v69 to v207 thread. Probably would be more precise to saddle stitch by hand though.

The liner does not zip out. It is quite grungy though. The whole thing needs a good cleaning, but I’m not sure where I could have it safely cleaned...I’m sure the dry cleaners probably wouldn’t be the best bet. I’ve read many, many threads about the pros and cons of machine washing leather jackets, but I wouldn’t be comfortable doing that with a jacket in this condition/this old. The top finish has sort of worn through in some areas. The side gussets where the side zips are need to be reinforced too.

Anyway, thanks to the folks that have kindly replied...I appreciate your insightful comments.

6. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Try giving the jacket a light coat of Pecards Leather Conditioner. It will bring the surface back to life , but keep the application light. When you’re done with it all, post a picture so we can see the final result.

25b likes this.
  7. Southoftheborder

Southoftheborder Active Member

You can wash it by hand in a bath and that will be more gentle. Use a wool soap product and just agitate it and push it around in warm to hot water that isn't too hot to get your hands in. Be careful how you lift it out when it's sodden though. Dry it flat on a towel for a few days and turn it a couple of times until it's only damp before hanging it up to finish drying. Then condition it when dry.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    25b likes this.