Help identifying vintage leather jacket...

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by 25b, Jan 14, 2019.

1. 25b

25b New Member

Trying this again, hopefully without a certain person on here trying to insinuate I’m a criminal or something and calling my posts “fishy” for simply requesting help identifying a jacket...must have some kind of miserable life if you get your jollies trying to harass new forum members for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Anyway, as I was saying before.....I recently purchased this beautiful vintage jacket, but I don’t know who made it or how old it is. I’ve tried researching various clues from the jacket on here and also in thefedoralounge.com (and google, etc.), but cannot find anything similar to it.

It has some fairly long side zips and a chain type hanger. Label says “genuine steer hide”.

I am not gathering information on it for any reason other that actually wanting to know more about it. I plan on keeping and wearing the jacket, so I’d appreciate any insight on it that anyone might offer. Thank you!

D306F992-7D23-4530-9570-23674F052F63.jpeg 568EA70F-FD14-438D-8ADE-4AE527ACB4DB.jpeg 45D3159F-ECAB-44A5-A9E4-70B88C425BCB.jpeg 3681A437-BA00-47EB-BB0F-3463F354FFE4.jpeg 7662F69C-9FA7-4350-984A-F5F4B3E18A88.jpeg 2701F78A-1C5C-490C-A049-382337293D64.jpeg

Micawber and raulm1961 like this.
  2. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Hello
    Your jacket is known as a “Cafe Racer” type motorcycle jacket that became popular in the 60 and 70’s and the style is still sold and worn today. They were made by so many different companies that unless there are some other tags in the pocket or linning it would be difficult to pin point the maker. If you take a picture of the zippers and any name on the zippers it may help in identifying the country where it was made. Also look for markings on the snaps. All of that would help us.
    Now on the other subject of asking you to tell us about yourself. This is normal, we ask new members to do that so that we can welcome them, not because we’re conducting a background check on you. If you have any doubt simply look at others who have told us about themselves and you will see that it is our way of welcoming new members to our forum and learning a little about their hobbies and likes because we often have the same things in common. So take a deep breath and read some of the other welcomes and I will say my welcome to you now. Welcome to VLJ good to have you aboard . I’m B-Man2.
    Cheers

jeremiah and Juanito like this.
  3. Steve27752

Steve27752 Well-Known Member

4. robrinay

robrinay Active Member

As said above - lots of makers for this ‘cafe racer’ style of jacket. I’ve seen Lesco cafe racers with zippers at the back but only half the length of those on your jacket. Close ups of the zippers - puller and stopper box will help us to date it and suggest who made it.

25b likes this.
  5. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Don't get bent out of shape. Sometimes intent and tone get lost on the interweb because it's just type with the occasional silly smiley face. Generally the guys on here are a good bunch and happy to help.

The big focus on here is military jackets but there's quite a few members who are into the civvy stuff as well. As Burt posted above, your jacket is of the "cafe racer" type. Judging from the label and the font used I'd say it's most likely from the 1950s to early 1960s. I'm afraid I can't help with the maker as I'm not into these jackets but someone here (possibly Ken from Aero) will be able to help with that.

jeremiah likes this.
  6. Ken at Aero Leather

Ken at Aero Leather Well-Known Member

...............and here was me thinking we stopped using "The Edinburgh Landlady" welcome to new members? "You'll have had your tea?"
    When will we EVER learn?
    25b
    Did your jacket ever have a zip out lining? If so there will be a zipper tucked into the internal facing?

25b and Eastwood like this.
  7. Steve27752

Edinburgh Landlady? Had your tea? Lost me.

8. Ken at Aero Leather

Edinburgh landladies were famous for peering at guests from behind a half opened front door and suggesting briskly that they will have eaten before arriving (?) therefor would not be inconviencing her by expecting an evening meal

Eastwood likes this.
  9. Steve27752

Ah, gotcha.

10. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

There was a landlord at a pub I used to frequent back home with a similar sunny disposition, who 5 minutes from time, would loudly announce, "Right you can all bugger off now!"

Steve27752 likes this.
  11. Steve27752

Nowt wrong with that. You know where you stand.

12. Ken at Aero Leather

.....unless the members want the forum to go back to the (good old) days of a couple of dozen posts a week, that is

Eastwood likes this.
  13. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

He was a crotchety old bastard and had been a wharfie so tough as old boots with a face you could have cracked walnuts on. He had a telly in the back which always had the gee-gees on and if there was a race on, you had to wait until it had finished before he'd even think of serving. He'd go absolutely apoplectic and chuck people out if they started thumping on the bar. Looking back on it he was a bit of a hoot.

14. Eastwood

Eastwood Member

Unfortunately on the forums there is little truth and benevolence. On the forums, most people write either for the sake of profit or for the sake of boasting or for the sake of creating a character that they would like to be but couldn’t .. as a result, almost everyone lies ..

Southoftheborder and silvio76 like this.
  15. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

So which one are you? :D

16. Eastwood

Eastwood Member

I'm watching you o_O

17. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Well we could watch you too but you're one of those members who for some utterly bizarre reason sign on so no one can see when they're online. Only perverts and shifty types do that :D

18. Eastwood

Eastwood Member

What was required to prove .. no comments

19. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

more squirrels and nutz

20. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

No responses or thanks from 25b??
    Seems like we’ve now overwhelmed the lad with hospitality . Some people you just can’t seem to satisfyo_O