• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying an unusual set of stitch holes

mulceber

I just bought this M-422A from Bazelot and there’s a set of stitch holes on the chest from what must have been a patch. Ordinarily I’d say “oh well, no way of identifying that,” but it’s a pretty unusual shape, so I thought I’d ask if anyone here recognizes it. I’d like to be able to put on a replacement patch, if it can be identified.

Here’s a photo, and a copy with the stitch holes outlined.
5C27941A-C08F-4402-B687-15F7AE19A0D0.jpeg

9656BA52-2FDD-4AEC-A563-ECBEDD117C90.jpeg

Yardstick

I've been through my, admittedly far from comprehensive, collection of USMC and USN WWII patch images and nothing is even remotely close :(. The top left corner suggests, a rabbit's head and ears, possibly a donkey or an Indian with a feather headdress, but sorry drawing a blank on this one.

mulceber

Closest I could find was this VS-69 patch from BK's website:

Navy-And-Marine-Corps-Aircraft-Insignia-vs-69.jpg

Still not right, but I suspect the missing patch was probably something similar.

Nickb123

My only concern is the rectal parachute..that seems like it’d be a prominent feature of the unit’s artwork (given the stance of the bird) but it doesn’t appear like it was stitched on.

mulceber

It looks a bit closer in the un-marked-up photo I took, where you can see there's a projection of stitch holes that's shaped like it could be the rectal parachute (love that turn of phrase btw). But I agree, it's not a perfect match. That being said, a lot of these patches varied significantly from jacket to jacket, so I do think it's possible this is the unit...

Now I really wish the jacket had something that could help me identify the pilot's name. That'd make it a lot easier.

Last edited:

kirova

the outline reminds me of a design that has a running horse/donkey on it, but couldn't find it after browsing for 10 mins on ebay.

kirova

looks kinda similar to this one, but it is AAF

Nickb123

Could be a whale

That’s a great point and it fits in with Navy. Looks like a whale if you exclude the bottom half circle.
66E252F5-C91A-479A-82D3-398BB77AA2D8.jpeg

Conversely, if you rotate the patch 90 degrees you see a definite horse-like animal, possibly with a rider, though I don’t imagine the aviator sewing on the patch sideways, and the horse is a little top-heavy!

76BB3A69-8CEB-4342-903C-CD16B72F654E.jpeg

Micawber

Intriguing. Reminds me of how my Mother in Law used to sit doing some cryptic crossword or other, all would be quiet until she would pipe up something like "sharp in the country, eight letters"...

Everyone present would then be digging deep, often for hours after, trying to come up with a plausible answer :D

mulceber

Thanks a bunch, guys, I really appreciate all the help on this. I'll do some digging as well and look for some whales.