• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help I feel an A-2 coming on ...

unclegrumpy

You look like one of the guys who got away in The Great Escape!

The only problem with this time warp theory, is that means to properly balance out the space time continuum, some poor guy must be now sporting a grubby old Battle Dress.....

John Lever

unclegrumpy said:
You look like one of the guys who got away in The Great Escape!

The only problem with this time warp theory, is that means to properly balance out the space time continuum, some poor guy must be now sporting a grubby old Battle Dress.....
Is that good ??

unclegrumpy

I would say so, though probably not so much so for the fellow now sporting the old BD.... I doubt he looks as dashing!

Roughwear

John, the sleeve length is fine. You see all sorts of lengths in wartime photos and yours are not too short. What I don't like is sleeves which tunnel so the knit disappears inside the sleeve at the wrist.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
I think I might have caught the bug...

I'm amazed that you've been turned around, until now you were quite happy with a shed full of shearling .... VLJ has powers. ;)

Roughwear

Yes, I'm also amazed by your 360 degree change of mind. I'm glad you have caught the bug John. A2s and shearlings co-exist well together IMO.

Peter Graham

Roughwear said:
Yes, I'm also amazed by your 360 degree change of mind.
Andrew, as a teacher you should know that 360 degrees is a complete circle therefore Johns mind would be back where it started ! :)

John Lever

Of course now I have to have several more of them. I think the big issue is that they can be worn in relatively warm weather, as opposed to just winter.

rich

I think the jacket looks perfect on you! But next time, I want to see you in a BR American Pad L-2.................. :D

Falcon_52

John Lever said:
Of course now I have to have several more of them. I think the big issue is that they can be worn in relatively warm weather, as opposed to just winter.

Absolutely right John! Now you'll get questions from your wife like "Why are you wearing that jacket, it's May for goodness sakes?" This is all hypothetical of course and NOT based on real experience. :D

Noel

A

Anonymous

ace1967 said:
...... the (My) jacket is a bit of a snug b**tard but that's the way it should be ....
Here we go again with that ol' myth :roll: There was no intentional look or fit for the A-2. I don't recall anything in the spec' sheet specifying that the "A-2 should fit such that no other clothing can be worn underneath it than a cotton T-shirt so that the pilot can freeze his nuts off at altitude and in winter on the ground" ... :lol:

John, if it feels right then just enjoy it forchrissakes. It's not what others think about the fit but how you think it fits and feels. This is not just an A-2 or flight jackets thing but goes for any clothing. Walk your own line.

Once the nagging doubts about fit etc start then tis but a short walk for the fingers to put it on Ebay .......... :lol:

Dave

A

Anonymous

typical ............. :roll:

so do tell Van : what's typical ? Be a man and let it out.

ace1967

Here we go again with that ol' myth :roll: There was no intentional look or fit for the A-2.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/a2_dubow20960.html

Details of this contract:

* russet or seal horsehide
* slender torso and wide, comfortable sleeve tops
* strong, square shoulder design
* collar stand
* wide epaulets with large x-stitching
* dull orange lining and dark brown cotton thread
* ball stud snaps
* dull mid-brown knits
* originals were made with a Crown zipper

This jacket is trim, but if sized right, very comfortable.

I wasn't talking about the A2 jacket in general , just this contract........

A

Anonymous

We all give it a thumbs up John. Relax, it looks good. "Suits you sir " :)

I think we should run a book or two. One to see when you get your second A-2 and a third to see how many you buy in the next 12 months !! :D

Dave

John Lever

JACKET_ HEAD said:
We all give it a thumbs up John. Relax, it looks good. "Suits you sir " :)

I think we should run a book or two. One to see when you get your second A-2 and a third to see how many you buy in the next 12 months !! :D

Dave
It's already too late ....