• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help dating a CWU-45?

rxnins

Hi guys! I've been lurking on this forum for the past month trying to figure out what type of jacket I would like. I had two questions: one, have you guys noticed the price changing for CWUs or has it remained relatively consistent over the past couple years on ebay (I've seen some post in the past decade about people finding some vintage models for <$30 which is insane!) and two, would anyone be able to help me date a CWU-45 jacket? I've had my eye on it for the past day or so, but I can't seem to find any information regarding the dating. It seems like a vintage model, which I'm assuming from the ideal zippers, but I can't determine a date using the conventional method (year following SPO-100 or DLA100). Thanks in advance!
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG

MaydayWei

Hey Rxnins,

Good to have you on board. Please introduce yourself on the members' bio page. It would be nice for everyone to formally meet you!

Question 1: On the changing price of CWUs
This is a difficult question to answer. The quick answer is, yes. But the more important question is why.
Different CWU models have varying degrees of desirability for a variety of reasons. For example, you have differences in:
Finish (Post-2010 2nd Gen Matte Nomex vs. Pre-2010 1st Gen Shiny Nomex vs. early 70s Striped Finish Nomex)
Contractor (Valley Apparel [slimmer cuts and higher quality workmanship] vs. Isratex [moved manufacturing overseas and lost their contract], amongst many, many others [Greenbrier, Creative Apparel, Propper International, Gibraltar Industries, Alpha etc.])
'Issue' (Some prefer the 'issued' look with velcro for the name tape, rank, and chest/shoulders vs. others who like the NOS unissued look [just the name tape velcro])
Condition
etc. etc. etc.

These are just a few things people looking to buy a CWU consider.
As with all things in life, from watches to cars, the difference is in the details. Sure, an Omega Speedmaster from 1988 may look the same as one from 2020; but the obvious difference in their price reflects the desirability of particular details present on the 1988 model which are absent or simply different on the 2020 one.
Likewise, with CWU jackets, a particular CWU's details will determine its asking or average market price.
A 2014 Valley Apparel Matte 2nd Gen CWU-45/P in mint condition will fetch a far higher average market price than a poorly 1992 Isratex CWU-45/P in 1st Gen Shiny Nomex.
Long story short, it depends. Generally, however, prices have been going up. And with the last ever CWU45 and 36 contract having ended on Jan 2019, they are bound to be scarce one day. From now on, all the CWU45s and 36s in the world are all that there ever will be. It's all CWU-106s from now on.

Question 2:
The reason why you cannot date this particular CWU above is because it is an Alpha Nylon Reproduction.
It is not the real deal. CWUs were never made in Nylon, and I (as many others on here) would urge you to look for a real one!
A little patience can find you an NOS one for, realistically, around 100 USD before shipping.
Easy tell-tale signs are:
(1) White tags only (Genuine issue will only have white tags)
(2) Nomex only (Genuine issue will always be 100% Poly Aramid, no exceptions)
(3) Zips will never have a contractor's name on it (all real deal CWUs used 3rd party labelled zipper heads i.e. YKK, Scovill etc. etc.)
(4) Model Number:
There are only 5 possible model numbers for CWU-45/Ps: Mil-J-83388A, B, C, D, or E. No others.
There are only 3 possible model numbers for CWU-36/Ps: Mil-J-83382A, B, C. No others.

Hope this helps and happy hunting.

Edit, I made a mistake. The last CWU-45/P and 36/P contract award date was Aug 2nd 2018; last delivery date was July 25th 2020.
What I meant was, once this 2018 contracts is all done and delivered, I personally anticipate that there will be no more CWU45 or 36 contracts awarded in favour of CWU-106 contract awards.

Last edited:

Tylbor

Hey Rxnins,

Good to have you on board. Please introduce yourself on the members' bio page. It would be nice for everyone to formally meet you!

Question 1: On the changing price of CWUs
This is a difficult question to answer. The quick answer is, yes. But the more important question is why.
Different CWU models have varying degrees of desirability for a variety of reasons. For example, you have differences in:
Finish (Post-2010 2nd Gen Matte Nomex vs. Pre-2010 1st Gen Shiny Nomex vs. early 70s Striped Finish Nomex)
Contractor (Valley Apparel [slimmer cuts and higher quality workmanship] vs. Isratex [moved manufacturing overseas and lost their contract], amongst many, many others [Greenbrier, Creative Apparel, Propper International, Gibraltar Industries, Alpha etc.])
'Issue' (Some prefer the 'issued' look with velcro for the name tape, rank, and chest/shoulders vs. others who like the NOS unissued look [just the name tape velcro])
Condition
etc. etc. etc.

These are just a few things people looking to buy a CWU consider.
As with all things in life, from watches to cars, the difference is in the details. Sure, an Omega Speedmaster from 1988 may look the same as one from 2020; but the obvious difference in their price reflects the desirability of particular details present on the 1988 model which are absent or simply different on the 2020 one.
Likewise, with CWU jackets, a particular CWU's details will determine its asking or average market price.
A 2014 Valley Apparel Matte 2nd Gen CWU-45/P in mint condition will fetch a far higher average market price than a poorly 1992 Isratex CWU-45/P in 1st Gen Shiny Nomex.
Long story short, it depends. Generally, however, prices have been going up. And with the last ever CWU45 and 36 contract having ended on Jan 2019, they are bound to be scarce one day. From now on, all the CWU45s and 36s in the world are all that there ever will be. It's all CWU-106s from now on.

Question 2:
The reason why you cannot date this particular CWU above is because it is an Alpha Nylon Reproduction.
It is not the real deal. CWUs were never made in Nylon, and I (as many others on here) would urge you to look for a real one!
A little patience can find you an NOS one for, realistically, around 100 USD before shipping.
Easy tell-tale signs are:
(1) White tags only (Genuine issue will only have white tags)
(2) Nomex only (Genuine issue will always be 100% Poly Aramid, no exceptions)
(3) Zips will never have a contractor's name on it (all real deal CWUs used 3rd party labelled zipper heads i.e. YKK, Scovill etc. etc.)
(4) Model Number:
There are only 5 possible model numbers for CWU-45/Ps: Mil-J-83388A, B, C, D, or E. No others.
There are only 3 possible model numbers for CWU-36/Ps: Mil-J-83382A, B, C. No others.

Hope this helps and happy hunting.

Edit, I made a mistake. The last CWU-45/P and 36/P contract award date was Aug 2nd 2018; last delivery date was July 25th 2020.
What I meant was, once this 2018 contracts is all done and delivered, I personally anticipate that there will be no more CWU45 or 36 contracts awarded in favour of CWU-106 contract awards.
After reading your reply I can't wait even one more day for my bi-swing back CWUp45 that I bought on eBay about week ago.