• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help appreciated - A-2 patch ID

Jim78046

First- incredible knowledge on this site! I’m hoping someone can help. I’ve had a nice A-2 in my collection for years- the family removed the name tag, squadron or group patch, and I believe a shoulder patch that had been sewn over the left shoulder decal. They left the ‘Major’ tank shoulder insignia. No other paint, and no internal owner markings, and I have no leads on a name or unit, but patch outline was unusual, so I kept looking. I believe it most closely resembles the 100th Bomber Group Emblem IF the ‘extra’ material is removed from the border of a typical round patch, but I welcome any and all opinions. There are some thread remnants at the patch area and there does seem to be some glue or paint residue in the center of the patch area - does this make it more likely a leather, or canvas, or cloth, or other patch? My hope is to someday narrow it down to the original owner, but my best chance at this point would seem to be to ID the patch and unit first. BTW, I’ve already spent a lot of time on the 100thBG site. Help! Thanks, Jim
9C7C2AF8-19A3-45A7-B738-43158A279527.jpeg
D344528E-ABDB-4E2F-A83F-5CA1F04EBA21.jpeg
A11BB58C-56C4-497B-83C3-343D28B1CF0C.jpeg
466DD855-EA74-4E11-8C32-33AD5FF7AA6B.jpeg
61F7870F-D250-46AF-A8E2-ADEFFD684602.jpeg

Jim78046

Also, sorry the pics rotated on me. Also appreciate opinions on what the shoulder patch might have been, it appears to have been sewn off-center, or if not a patch, something made some perforations around the decal. If front patch is 100th BG then I assume shoulder patch might have been an 8th Air Force? General comments on the jacket time period are also welcome- is it a 1942 contract, but with late war shoulder decal added? Thanks! Jim

Jim78046

Oh yeah- if the front patch can be positively ID’d, I’ll likely be on the lookout for an original of the proper size (it seems a little larger size than typical??) or a nice repro, so leads appreciated, but I may be getting ahead of myself - one step at a time. Finally, if it is a ‘group’ patch, does that mean the person was not necessarily more closely associated with a squadron in a group, but with the group at the ‘higher’ organizational level? Thanks again! Jim

Jim78046

So it’s a reproduction jacket- that changes things! Dang- I’m no expert, but it sure has nice details, down to the little decal inside the zipper flap, the insignia, just the look of the leather, etc., but it always seemed to be in too nice of shape for a true WW2 jacket. I‘d still like to fill the patch-sewn holes with a nice patch, but I won’t need an original patch, but a repro. I still think the 100thBG is the closest match- opinions welcome! Now I can forget about researching its WW2 history (it has none), it’s my size so I can wear it, I’m still in it for a decent price, it wasn’t misrepresented but the seller was not knowledgeable (it wasn’t family, it was a charity), I can personalize it, and I can go after a nice/real WW2 A-2 that I have a lead on- actually it’s relatively good news, but not what I expected! Thanks! Jim

Jim78046

I see Aero Leathers offers options like the rank insignia, squadron patch, and nametag at the time of ordering a jacket. It seems likely the family or owner may have ordered it 'assembled' from Aero? FYI, the front patches are not sewn on through the inside lining, but through the leather only - it looks like someone opened up the lining seam under the left armpit to get to the back of the leather for a neat job, if this is a clue. Any thoughts on how likely Aero did all the work? Does Aero offer the shoulder decal? Any comments on Aero's squadron patches vs. others available? My thought is if I would go to Aero for the 300BG patch (and it is the one previously installed) it may line up more consistently for re-sewing. I guess I could contact Aero directly but thought someone may want to share their thoughts and opinions. Thanks for your time! Jim