• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello I’m Brandon my Grandpa was in ww2 and I have a few items I could use some help with please?Help id and value the leather ww2 patches I have?

brandonwatson

DD51BD8D-A058-4C5F-AE4B-77E6B87C73A1.jpeg

Attachments

• 152CF093-E8A0-4D92-B27A-435C29B00478.jpeg
    152CF093-E8A0-4D92-B27A-435C29B00478.jpeg
    357.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 2128AEAE-F3FA-463C-BB4A-38DDBD78540C.jpeg
    2128AEAE-F3FA-463C-BB4A-38DDBD78540C.jpeg
    356.8 KB · Views: 183

917_k

I can’t help ID or value them, but I can tell you that maybe a more formal hello and introduction, as well as maybe a “please” wouldn’t go a miss before asking people here to help you out. There are some incredibly knowledgable people on this forum who contribute a huge amount to this resource and who I imagine will be willing to help out, but it does get a little tiresome when someone pops up without so much as an introduction and quickly disappears again as soon as they have what they want.

p.s. im sure your post was well intentioned.

brandonwatson

Yeah is that better? Maybe if you knew someone is typing this for me cause of my disability’s you’d understand I don’t like asking people to constantly do these things for me so yeah that’s why it was short. Maybe you should mind your own business if you can’t answer what someone is asking! Seriously criticism is definitely not in the thread.

brandonwatson

I don't think @917_k was being mean or unduly invasive of your privacy. The fact of the matter is we get a LOT of people who come onto this board, take advantage of its wealth of knowledge, and then disappear. It's a trend that many of us find annoying to one degree or another.
I’m asking for help because this site is full of knowledge
Well anyway, your post Brandon has prompted me to try to find out what the other two patches are, as much for my benefit as yours. So:

The first one (with the horseshoe): 491st Bombardment Squadron
i really appreciate it.

B-Man2

Ok ... innocent mistake on both sides.
Glad to see you guys got it sorted out and Brandon had his questions answered.
Hopefully he’ll stick around and enjoy what this forum has to offer.
BTW... Welcome to VLJ Brandon :)

917_k

I can’t work out what the other patch is, the one with the tiger and eagle, that sort of looks like a group patch??

917_k

Ahah, well this has been a most useful exercise as I’ve gone from have absolutely no clue about bomb & fighter group/squadron patch’s, to now have a whole photo list of a ton of them. This has also given me the impetuous to get a decent patch painted for my Eastman A2.

917_k

So to explain your grouping Brandon, it looks like it’s the 341st Bomb Group, assigned to the 14th Air Force between Jan 44 & Oct 45, of which the 491st Bomb Squadron was one of its units. These were operating in the CBI (China-Burma-India) theatre.

I hope this helps maybe shed some light on your grandfathers service; I assume he was in the AAF?

Micawber

Welcome to the group Brandon. Now you have an insight as to the origins of the patches you should now be furnished with sufficient information to look for similar offering on the collectors market and judge value accordingly.

If they are family pieces please do cherish them.

917_k

Yep, if they are family pieces, honestly, hold onto them. My grandfather (a veteran of the battle of Arnhem) gave away his battle dress uniform a few decades back assuming none of his relatives would be interested in it. The jacket would be worth a small fortune now, but I’d give anything to have it in my possession, to cherish as a reminder of his service.

My advice: try to do a little more research on your grandfathers service and get these framed and on display somewhere. Will make a great family talking point.

Silver Surfer

I usually welcome newbies with "welcome to the amusement park"......now that we have gotten over that, nice "theater made" painted patches. I would venture to posit that your gramps had the same or variations [leather multi layered] of same stitched on one of his garments, most likely a flight jacket, and these were back ups. not at all uncommon. keeping them, as suggested, is suggested. however if your financial situation dictates, and you have to sell them, I can only say that the value is what the market will pay. as a set, with provenance, you could see some serious coin from a serious buyer. if you do decide that selling them is a must, go with greedbay, and skip military sites, stores, offers by "collectors".. let the market dictate their value. oh, and welcome to the amusement park.