• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hell Bent For leahter

alabama

I have just see on Amazon UK the paperback edition of that book for :shock: £524. and Amazon US
for $600. Can any one tell me why it is that price. I have looked and can not see any reason.
I have the Hardback and it only around the £45 to £50 mark. :(
If that is true price i wish it was the other way round.
Cheers.

Rutger

Those prices are just sheer nonsense, amazon is full of prices like that for books that are supposedly rare because they are out of print, yet sought after by collectors.
The only thing I can think of is that the sellers gambles that there might be someone around impatient and dumb enough to contact the seller who "generously" accepts the lower offer of the buyer.

KevG

Out of interest, is there a content difference between the hard and paperback versions?

GoodTimesGone

I have the hardcover and paperback versions. There are 160 numbered pages in each. The only difference is the dust jacket and paperback cover have a different photo on the front.

A

Anonymous

Maybe a print fail, the book is not that accurate as a reference, the last book I would recommend.

Marv

I've still got my copy, I think I will hold on to it and at those prices and few more years and I will be able to buy another GW.

alabama

I know what you mean about Cowboys of the Sky, GoodTimesGone.
Someone got me that a few years ago, it reads more like a promotional book
for Avirex. I may look at the pictures now and then but that's it.
As for Hell bent for Leather i like that book and i am not selling it for less
than £1,540 :lol:
Cheers.

bebel

I guess that no one of all flight jackets related books is the "ultimate" reference about the subject. Each of them presents positive and negative faces: informations, photos, ... So, I try to find all of them, even japanese books (only for photos!) but for reasonable price. ;) And i like to read all of them.

Franck

ausreenactor

In the late 90s I started looking for a suggested Special Forces reference. Special Forces of the United States Army 1952-82 by LT COL D. Sutherland. A book dealer in Australia(Hylands) bought a copy to a gun show in Melbourne when an ex-SAS chook mate and I caught up. $80 they wanted for it. I scoffed, despite it being a great book. I declined the offer late on that Sunday afternoon. I returned home to the P3 and turned on the 56K modem. Internet bliss. eBay provided a copy with 3 days to run. Present price was US$264.50(which was AU$551 at the time US$0.48 exchange rate). I nearly shat, vomited and ejaculated all at once. Then realised that the book may have sold? I went hot, phoned my semi-retired father and sent him on an adventure to Hylands in Melbourne. My father phoned when he arrived at Hylands. They had the $80 copy and a copy in the plastic for $100. I told him to buy both. He did. I was elated. I then called back asking my father to verify if they had any more. One more in the plastic, never opened. I turned AU$280 into a AU$1500 profit over four months. Then realised I never had the book. I have had five copies in total and the fifth is still here. Worth it weight in money!! ;) I have let another half dozen or so sail by since for around the $200 mark. My holy grail for nine years was this one....

I got one by accident Googling the world night flying three years ago in the UK. $150. I have never seen another copy.

Until this one..

http://www.amazon.com/Badges-Uniforms-W ... 064&sr=1-1

I thought about putting mine on eBay. As stated, never seen another copy. If you have this, I will give you $200 for it. Then I can read one. I dont open it far enough to look at it... :roll:

Couchy...

alabama

So ausreenactor, do you have any idea why that Hell Bent for leather is that much.
I have tried to find out thru the internet but can not find any reason. I am waiting to
hear back from Motor books international. If they tell me i will let everyone know.
Cheers.

Otter

It must just be a blip in the market, it used to sell for about GBP 40 on ebay in the UK but somthing has forced the price right up. Rampant speculation by persons unknown trying to corner the market!

Otter

Wow, 23 mil for a book, makes the Hell Bemt look cheap, btw and totaly unrelated I have an Art of the Flight Jacket I could let go for only 2.5 million if someone wants it...................................... no dust jacket though! :lol: