• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heat Transfer Roundels Available Once Again

Flightengineer

Can't find the original AAF Decal thread, so I'll ask here.
Does any of the members have experience with this Japanese maker?

ARMY_AIR_FORCES_LEATHER_DECAL_A_large.jpg

I accidentally received one as a gift, it looks high quality and the correct shape, color and font.
I'm interested in how the decal behaves after some time and if here are owners impressions if any of you have used one. Thanks.

Tattoo A2

Ive used the old decal types that MASH in Japan sold a few years back, they looked good and aged like the originals to me, the heat transfer ones I got recently I tried on a piece of leather with their small AAF decal you would find on the inside zipper flap, and maybe its my iron or my lack of instructional brain damage from the 70s, but I couldnt get the sucker to stick to the leather....Im bad, lol

Flightengineer

If you need any MASH products buying & forwarded let me know..
Thanks a lot, Lee. I don't need anything yet, and besides, I'm not sure if you can send me something, in any case - in these terrible times mail from the USA to me is not yet possible, I think UK Royal mail also doesn't work. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Tattoo A2

It has only one drawback - this decal is too permanent. I've tried different abrasives and it won't rub off. It probably won't look like the original in years to come.
When Mash was selling the water decals years ago I applied a few to my A2 and B6 jackets and they are still holding up pretty well after 15 years of use.

Dumpster D

Would like to hear your thoughts and opinions about these reproduction AAF decals currently available online. Which would you select to put on a 5* Werber sportswear D-1 Jacket?

I have a 'worn out' original WWII D-1 Jacket that has the 'plain white' decal on the shoulder, and it's mostly faded out, worn off and barely legible which actually might be the 'look' I prefer if anything. It has a 'subtle' overall effect that way.

The original Werber sportswear Jacket that has been used as a template for the 5* Reproduction D-1 copy has a colored AAF decal. It really lends detail and classic flair.

I see original AAF decals available from time to time, but wouldn't dare use one of those due to their age and collectors appeal as 'original' pieces. They're 80 years old and original. There's reproductions to do the job.

After careful consideration I still like both the 'plain white' decal, and the colorized version (the jacket would also be fine without one)

Just don't know any history of original AAF decals. Why did some Jackets have the plain white Decal, and others have a Colored AAF decal?

I don't know-------->

The MASH decal is probably the best quality but their shipping cost looks expensive, I'm unfamiliar with ordering from MASH, it says under their shipping policy they refund the difference on the shipping cost to the buyer?

There's a colorized version by Garcia Aviation, with a few details that are lacking. The lettering is a slightly different font. The print itself looks like a cheaper Vinyl T-shirt transfer (Which might not age correctly) Also, the blue color isn't quite right to my eye. It doesn't have the 'pop' that the MASH version has, I think it's missing the black outline.

There's The 'Mimura Yoko' AAF Decal/transfer. It looks similar quality to the Garcia Aviation version, are they the same or different? Presumably the Mimura Yoko version is more faithful to an original, still doesn't quite look equal quality as the MASH decal?

There's this 'plain white' (meatball) made in Taiwan. Not sure about the actual size and the quality of the transfer if anyone has had any experience with these please let me know. These look pretty good in the photo, the outline might be a little thicker than an original to my eye (which is something I could probably live with) The transfer itself might be made out of like a cheaper neoprene or vinyl. Original Versions look very worn out, I'm wondering if these plain white ones will 'age' correctly? Are there any other plain white decals like this available? This is the only 'plain white' Meatball I could find so far.

OK Thank you very much!

Attachments

• Mash1.jpg
    Mash1.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 53
  • GarciaAviation1.jpg
    GarciaAviation1.jpg
    546.1 KB · Views: 50
  • MimuraYoko.jpg
    MimuraYoko.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 63
  • AAF.jpg