• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heat Transfer Roundels Available Once Again

Pa12

Would like to hear your thoughts and opinions about these reproduction AAF decals currently available online. Which would you select to put on a 5* Werber sportswear D-1 Jacket?

I have a 'worn out' original WWII D-1 Jacket that has the 'plain white' decal on the shoulder, and it's mostly faded out, worn off and barely legible which actually might be the 'look' I prefer if anything. It has a 'subtle' overall effect that way.

The original Werber sportswear Jacket that has been used as a template for the 5* Reproduction D-1 copy has a colored AAF decal. It really lends detail and classic flair.

I see original AAF decals available from time to time, but wouldn't dare use one of those due to their age and collectors appeal as 'original' pieces. They're 80 years old and original. There's reproductions to do the job.

After careful consideration I still like both the 'plain white' decal, and the colorized version (the jacket would also be fine without one)

Just don't know any history of original AAF decals. Why did some Jackets have the plain white Decal, and others had the Colored AAF decal?

I don't know-------->

The MASH decal is probably the best quality but their shipping cost looks expensive, I'm unfamiliar with ordering from MASH, it says under their shipping policy they refund the difference on the shipping cost to the buyer?

There's a colorized version by Garcia Aviation. There are a few details that are lacking, The lettering is a slightly different font. The print itself looks like a cheaper Vinyl T-shirt transfer (Which might not age correctly) Also, the blue color isn't quite right to my eye. It doesn't have the 'pop' that the MASH version has, I think it's missing the black outline.

There's The 'Mimura Yoko' AAF Decal/transfer. It looks similar quality to the Garcia Aviation version, are they the same or different? Presumably the Mimura Yoko version is more faithful to an original, still doesn't quite look equal quality as the MASH decal?

There's this 'plain white' (meatball) made in Taiwan. Not sure about the actual size and the quality of the transfer if anyone has had any experience with these please let me know. These look pretty good in the photo, the outline might be a little thicker than an original to my eye (which is something I could probably live with) The transfer itself might be made out of like a cheaper neoprene or vinyl. Original Versions look very worn out, I'm wondering if these plain white ones will 'age' correctly? Are there any other plain white decals like this available? This is the only 'plain white' Meatball I could find so far.

OK Thank you very much!
Only one I ever tried was the Garcia one and it was shit. That was a few years back.

mulceber

Ordering from MASH isn’t a big deal and the shipping isn’t too bad. Recently got a zipper from them and the shipping translated to about $17. And when I saw the box, I could see why it cost that. They could have shipped a decent-sized book in it. Definitely worth the money. You’re spending hundreds of dollars on a jacket. Why not spend a few extra bucks to make sure you have a good rounded for it?

I like the minimalist white rounded too though. Bet it would look good on the jacket.

MauldinFan

I have a cotton ANS-31 flightsuit (What Price Glory) on the way, which one/vendor works best for non-leather stuff?
If I get one, I'd probably get another for my ATF B-10 jacket and another couple for some A2s.

JonnyCrow

Ordering from MASH isn’t a big deal and the shipping isn’t too bad. Recently got a zipper from them and the shipping translated to about $17. And when I saw the box, I could see why it cost that. They could have shipped a decent-sized book in it. Definitely worth the money. You’re spending hundreds of dollars on a jacket. Why not spend a few extra bucks to make sure you have a good rounded for it?

I like the minimalist white rounded too though. Bet it would look good on the jacket.
I've ordered Mash decals Jan they're good and your correct, after Japanese yen is converted it isn't that expensive

Dumpster D

Thank you for the replies.

The AAF decal/transfer from MASH is around 2,000 Yen (about $20 US) ...For some reason when I put the 'item' in my shopping cart the shipping adds a whopping 4,800 Yen to the total (About $45 US)

That can't be right can it?

Thereupon reviewing their shipping policy, it says they refund the difference in shipping for what the actual shipping cost ends up as?

Micawber

Plenty here including myself have ordered from MASH without issue, items are shipped promptly and their packaging is usually a work of art. After all said and done it's a decal and not a priceless china vase ;)

As an aside when you upload photos please choose the full size option after selecting "insert". The forum software makes viewing individual thumbnails a bind.

A2 B3au

This popped up on EBay USA if anyone is interested in obtaining one .

I’ve got a feeling Garcia aviation is the artist Nicholas gamarelo.. could be wrong

MauldinFan

You can buy them here as well.
I ordered a couple of these yesterday, one for my newly acquired reproduction (What Price Glory) ANS31 flight suit. If it works well, I might use the other on my ATF B-10 jacket.
I went through them because I was already going to order a pair of their A-10 gloves.

Last edited:

MauldinFan

Here is the Garcia Aviation decal on my ANS31:
20230416_200652.jpg

20230416_200228-01-01.jpeg